Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

95 SC400 - Trans Skips 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 02:32 PM
tonythe93sc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 SC400 - Trans Skips 2nd

Hey all, got a weird one for you.

I have 2 SC4's. One is a track car that I picked up (super cheap), and one is lower mileage and nicer.
When I picked up the cheap one, the seller told me it was slow on power.
However, in 1st, it's just as quick as my other one. But when I shift manually to 2, it falls flat on its face.
But that's the issue, it isn't shifting to 2, it shifts to 3rd when in the 2nd position and 4th when OD is off in the drive position.
If I leave it in drive, it shifts super quick, barely holding 1st and straight into 3rd and then 4th. It never shifts into 2nd gear. If I floor it, totally full out, it'll shift 1-2 for a split millisecond and then to 3. It will not hold it in 2nd at all.
The seller previously took it to a performance shop and had a service done with solenoids replaced, but that didn't fix the issue.
Any transmission guru's know of any other cases of this issue? I've read it in 1 thread but I haven't seen it in any others.
The last thing the seller said was "it's the transmission output speed sensor!"
Old 02-26-24, 09:40 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Missing shifts can be a variety of things. May be a speed sensor, some common ones are the rear ones. Worst case it's a Performance D stuck off. My Tundra has been doing similar things. Swapped the performance D solenoid and has 6 crisp shifts. I would troubleshoot them before hand. Don't just throw parts at it.
Old 02-27-24, 03:02 AM
tonythe93sc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tallyhoe
Missing shifts can be a variety of things. May be a speed sensor, some common ones are the rear ones. Worst case it's a Performance D stuck off. My Tundra has been doing similar things. Swapped the performance D solenoid and has 6 crisp shifts. I would troubleshoot them before hand. Don't just throw parts at it.
What is a Performance D? What solenoid is that?
I'm not familiar with that term.
Old 02-27-24, 03:39 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Its a bigger pressure solenoid than the shift ones. You may need to look up the transmission diagram and part numbers. Pretty there probably isn't a code for early cars... Jump on partsouq and look up the valve body and pull part numbers. Cross reference them with *******, my L parts or a stealership parts site to figure out what you need.
Once you figure it out worst case dedicate a weekend and swap the solenoid from your good SC to your bad SC and see if it changes anything. Or go to your local junkyard and source the parts yourself from and LS, SC GS or any other Toyota / Lexus model that has a similar transmission
Old 02-27-24, 08:47 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jump the diagnostic connector and count the times the OD light flashes, it might give you a code and something more to go on.
Old 02-28-24, 09:15 AM
tonythe93sc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
Jump the diagnostic connector and count the times the OD light flashes, it might give you a code and something more to go on.
I hadn't done it yet because there is no CEL, but I can try it.
Old 02-28-24, 09:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Could be a solenoid issue (guessing its one of the 2 that has an issue), wiring to the solenoid issue, transmission itself, or the main ecu going bad.
I agree with getting it to blink out any codes. You could also manual swap it =)
Old 02-28-24, 10:49 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

I would agree with @Ali SC3
If you want to troubleshoot this solenoid here 9033905014 PLUG (FOR 1-2 SHIFT VALVE) 35464A and 35454D both are for shifts 1-2. Both are on the left hand side of the image. D is at the top, A is towards the middle. Troubleshoot those 2 and you will probably solve your shifting in and out of 2. Odds are D is probably gone, but can't know without jumping terminals.
VALVE BODY & OIL STRAINER (ATM) | Toyota SOARER UZZ31-ACPZK JZZ3#,UZZ3# | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq

Old 02-28-24, 11:56 AM
tonythe93sc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Could be a solenoid issue (guessing its one of the 2 that has an issue), wiring to the solenoid issue, transmission itself, or the main ecu going bad.
I agree with getting it to blink out any codes. You could also manual swap it =)
Not my 95. I have a 93 that I would love to swap, just expensive. The 95 isn't worth it as it's just a dirty track car that I beat on.
Old 02-28-24, 11:58 AM
tonythe93sc400
Rookie

I would agree with @Ali SC3
If you want to troubleshoot this solenoid here 9033905014 PLUG (FOR 1-2 SHIFT VALVE) 35464A and 35454D both are for shifts 1-2. Both are on the left hand side of the image. D is at the top, A is towards the middle. Troubleshoot those 2 and you will probably solve your shifting in and out of 2. Odds are D is probably gone, but can't know without jumping terminals.
VALVE BODY & OIL STRAINER (ATM) | Toyota SOARER UZZ31-ACPZK JZZ3#,UZZ3# | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq

My only issue with that is that a performance shop in town replaced all of that under the previous owner.
Old 02-28-24, 12:23 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Any chance of a warranty? You can always call them and ask them about it. Were you provided a receipt? or any proof of the work? Was the work actually done and were any parts reused? I mean solenoids do get expensive, so they may have swapped the valve body and reinstalled the old solenoids, depending on the previous owner's budget. I think there are ways you can test it outside of the transmission without pulling the pan just to verify it's operational.
Old 02-28-24, 01:11 PM
tonythe93sc400
Rookie

Any chance of a warranty? You can always call them and ask them about it. Were you provided a receipt? or any proof of the work? Was the work actually done and were any parts reused? I mean solenoids do get expensive, so they may have swapped the valve body and reinstalled the old solenoids, depending on the previous owner's budget. I think there are ways you can test it outside of the transmission without pulling the pan just to verify it's operational.
Nope. I have the receipt (somewhere), but no warranty. I talked with them and they said they tried a few times but it didn't work.
Old 03-01-24, 07:41 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

The solenoid didn't work? or their troubleshooting didn't work??
Internal wiring may be damaged. Someone on the Tundra forums posted their connector was cooked and had shifting issues. If you have a spare vehicle besides the SCs and if you feel comfortable enough, consider pulling the valve body and inspect the wiring and replace them as necessary....
For example the 07 Tundra has A760F transmission and has 2 wire harnesses 1 is $50 and the other is $11.
Old 06-16-24, 08:53 AM
SC79
10th Gear

Dude I have this exact same issue. Fixed solinoids and ecu, did a service everything I could find and it still does it exactly what you said to a t, like shifting into 2 is actually 3rd because it falls on its face. Did you ever figure out the issue?
Old 06-16-24, 10:20 AM
tonythe93sc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC79
Dude I have this exact same issue. Fixed solinoids and ecu, did a service everything I could find and it still does it exactly what you said to a t, like shifting into 2 is actually 3rd because it falls on its face. Did you ever figure out the issue?
I bought a rebuilt ECU and it fixed it 100%.
Did you have yours rebuilt?
If you shift manually into 2nd, does it go into 3rd?

Quick Reply: 95 SC400 - Trans Skips 2nd