Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 - Car is running horrible after taking out of storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 12:33 PM
ToeNee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
Ok so you said you stored it outside but had the proper amount of fuel stabilizer. Assuming it ran perfectly fine when you stored it, there are 2 factors that are related directly to outside storage over winters that might be a factor here. Assuming you have not developed a mechanical or electrical issue like bad caps in the ecu, a dying fuel pump ecu, or a semi clogged fuel filter.

No matter how hard you try to prevent it, rodents will find ways of getting past covers. They don't normally chew our wiring which is a good thing, but what they can do is try to build nests in spots in the engine bay, like around the EVAP stuff, in the intake box, or under the intake manifold on 1UZ motors (or in the spark plug valley on 2JZs). When they do this, they will bite thru wires that are near their nests. So you need to take a good look thru the runners of your IM and see if there's junk under there. I think its more common for animals on UZ motors to bite thru the knock sensor wiring and sometimes the fuel injector wires.

The second issue is moisture. The cover does a great job of shielding the paint but the moisture of freeze-thaw cycles and extreme cold to above freezing days will cause moisture to stick to EVERYTHING under the car and in the engine bay. I hate this because when I store my IS300 outside during harsh winters I have to start my car on the warm days to burn off all the moisture that forms in the engine bay. That crap was surface rusting my engine bay bolts and my ceramic coated exhaust manifold. The surface rust is mostly an eyesore but this moisture will cause corrosion on exposed copper and the grounds, and if this corrosion is excessive it will throw sensors out of wack. So go over your wiring harness and look at all the grounds in your car and see if you can clean them up. You might want to buy a can of electronic cleaner to spray the grounds down after you remove them. After removing them, put them back. If a bolt is severely rusted, replace it with a new one. Every new bolt you put in will decrease the resistance of the wiring harness and that means your sensors will be more accurate and the ecu will be able to adjust accordingly.
I think the stuff with the wiring harness is def something I need to look at. Took it for a drive today to work and I almost couldn't even get it started. It really felt like the car was misfiring and shaking like crazy sitting at 50 RPMs idle. I attached 3 vids I took today. Should I bother changing my spark plugs? I took a look at them but they didnt seem to bad. In the second video I was giving it gas until it found the idle it died 3 times before I gave it any gas. I thankfully got it home and in my garage. Side note, should I try to do a compression test? Is the engine being starved of gas?

Last edited by ToeNee; 03-16-24 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 07:51 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

No a compression test is a waste of time. Your car did not lose compression being parked. The only way you can lose compression is if you damaged the rings and the only way that happens is if foreign objects got into the cylinders or you have severe detonation due to fuel starvation. If you were running pig rich it would take longer than just a few drives to damage the rings, you'd have to be driving pig rich for like 5000 miles to get that sort of damage.
If plugs look ok then they are likely all ok.
Do take a look at your caps and rotors. Look to see if there is any corrosion. Any corrosion that formed on the rotors would block spark.
Look over the entire wire harness like I said.
And you might want to try the fuel pump ecu bypass test to see if that makes a difference.
Likewise, you should probably open up your ecu and look to see if any caps burst.

Old 03-17-24, 10:31 AM
ToeNee
Rookie

No a compression test is a waste of time. Your car did not lose compression being parked. The only way you can lose compression is if you damaged the rings and the only way that happens is if foreign objects got into the cylinders or you have severe detonation due to fuel starvation. If you were running pig rich it would take longer than just a few drives to damage the rings, you'd have to be driving pig rich for like 5000 miles to get that sort of damage.
If plugs look ok then they are likely all ok.
Do take a look at your caps and rotors. Look to see if there is any corrosion. Any corrosion that formed on the rotors would block spark.
Look over the entire wire harness like I said.
And you might want to try the fuel pump ecu bypass test to see if that makes a difference.
Likewise, you should probably open up your ecu and look to see if any caps burst.
Just opened up my ECU and looked at it very carefully and it really doesn't seem like anything is wrong in there. Right now Im running with the idea that enough gas is getting to my engine. I was looking online and the fuel pump ecu bypass is definitely something I'm going to do as well as changing my fuel filter. Just so I know were talking about the same thing I was looking at this picture for the fuel pump bypass is it just as simple as it looks?

Old 03-18-24, 11:59 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Well before you do the bypass, jump the wires in the connector in the engine bay. That is the test procedure for the fuelpump ecu. If the problems go away when the connectors are jumped, then you know there's a problem with the FP ecu and you need to do the bypass.

There are different ways of actually bypassing the ecu, but generally speaking yes it is as easy as it looks as long as you use the correct gauge wires. I would encourage you to look on youtube, FB, and on here to see the various ways people have bypassed the FP ecu *if* that is the source of your problems
The following users liked this post:
ToeNee (03-18-24)
Old 03-19-24, 04:14 PM
ToeNee
Rookie

Well before you do the bypass, jump the wires in the connector in the engine bay. That is the test procedure for the fuelpump ecu. If the problems go away when the connectors are jumped, then you know there's a problem with the FP ecu and you need to do the bypass.

There are different ways of actually bypassing the ecu, but generally speaking yes it is as easy as it looks as long as you use the correct gauge wires. I would encourage you to look on youtube, FB, and on here to see the various ways people have bypassed the FP ecu *if* that is the source of your problems
Tried the bypass, no luck running out of options. Tonight I'm going to sweep over everything again see if I can pinpoint any weird noises.
Old 03-19-24, 08:37 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Let the car warm up to operating temperature turn off the car and unplug one coil pack then start the car if it runs that will let you know that the one coil pack still connected is good then do the same for the other one. If both are good proceed to the MAF/Air meter sensor ...unplug it and see if it runs better.
ToeNee (03-20-24)
Old 03-21-24, 05:45 PM
ToeNee
Rookie

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
Let the car warm up to operating temperature turn off the car and unplug one coil pack then start the car if it runs that will let you know that the one coil pack still connected is good then do the same for the other one. If both are good proceed to the MAF/Air meter sensor ...unplug it and see if it runs better.
Trying this on the weekend. I went arround after school and talked to a couple of mechanics friends and I was told that maybe the feul pump might need replacing. One of them said if its going out the check engine might not go on. Any recs for good aftermarket brands for feul pumps? I have a friend who is a supplier of parts and he quoted me at 240$CAD but online I'm seeing anywhere from 89$CAD-200$CAD. Im also going to check in other older threads for any recs.

Here is what I was looking at:
https://walbrofuelpumps.com/lexus-sc...-cyl-4-0l.html
https://www.highflowfuel.com/quantum...400-1992-2000/
https://www.highflowfuel.com/quantum...400-1992-2000/

Last edited by ToeNee; 03-21-24 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-22-24, 11:20 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Don't focus too much on the fuel pump its been sitting in stabilized fuel the whole time. fuel pumps don't go bad sitting unused in a full fuel tank. check free stuff first before throwing parts. You should be able to hear the fuel pump easily with the 12v mod with the key in the on position.
ToeNee (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 01:05 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From personal experience, in-tank pumps found on fuel injected cars don't really go out like this. Any time I worked on a car with a fuel pump ready to die, it would run cold and after a good bit of driving the pump would just stop completely and would need to sit for a while before it started working again. Not to say it hasn't happened to you, but my SC300 sat for two years or so before it was sold to me, and the pump is perfectly fine.

If you really wish to know you can get yourself a fuel pressure tester and check for pressure at the rail(s), or you can try unhooking the line, putting the line end in a big enough bottle and seeing if it runs consistently.

If the car has a power issue on the entire rev band you are not looking at an IACV issue, though of course it never hurts to clean it anyway. In such cases the car would have a poor idle but would be capable of stretching its legs fine when giving it gas or putting a load on it.

You said the car ran totally fine before being stored but now barely runs. I'd look for rodent damage, and check for spark next. Have you pulled plug wires out and seen what cylinders cause an audible change in how the engine runs?
ToeNee (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 06:55 PM
ToeNee
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
From personal experience, in-tank pumps found on fuel injected cars don't really go out like this. Any time I worked on a car with a fuel pump ready to die, it would run cold and after a good bit of driving the pump would just stop completely and would need to sit for a while before it started working again. Not to say it hasn't happened to you, but my SC300 sat for two years or so before it was sold to me, and the pump is perfectly fine.

If you really wish to know you can get yourself a fuel pressure tester and check for pressure at the rail(s), or you can try unhooking the line, putting the line end in a big enough bottle and seeing if it runs consistently.

If the car has a power issue on the entire rev band you are not looking at an IACV issue, though of course it never hurts to clean it anyway. In such cases the car would have a poor idle but would be capable of stretching its legs fine when giving it gas or putting a load on it.

You said the car ran totally fine before being stored but now barely runs. I'd look for rodent damage, and check for spark next. Have you pulled plug wires out and seen what cylinders cause an audible change in how the engine runs?
Hey, Ive yet to run into any rodent damage. I looked at I think everything for any rodent hiding a nest and couldnt see anything. Ive checked the spark plugs when cleaning my IACV and they had a little mosture on them and the spark plugs also on the outside had a little bit of built up water and mosture. I was sure that the spark plugs were going to be shot but they looked pretty normal to me. It sounds like the driver side 1st cylender is causing the most noise. (top right if youre standing in front of the car) The only thing I'm confused about is I have no check engine and if the spark was weak or if I had a major misfire wouldnt it throw a code? When I uncovered my car and poped the hood it was very damp on the inside because of the humidity. Could that cause any major damage? The car ran perfect before yes but now like the videos show it's struggling to stay over 50 RPM and has no power. I think just to be sure for rodents I need to get it on a lift.

Last edited by ToeNee; 03-22-24 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-22-24, 07:34 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

electronics can go bad from sitting. you mentioned moisture... number one cause of electrical damage.... check the 2 coils i mentioned and Air meter in the video it sounds like its running on 4 cylinders
ToeNee (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 09:07 AM
ToeNee
Rookie

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
electronics can go bad from sitting. you mentioned moisture... number one cause of electrical damage.... check the 2 coils i mentioned and Air meter in the video it sounds like its running on 4 cylinders
Sounds good. I'll look at what you mentioned today and tomorrow and update you with pictures
Old 03-23-24, 09:31 AM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ToeNee
Hey, Ive yet to run into any rodent damage. I looked at I think everything for any rodent hiding a nest and couldnt see anything. Ive checked the spark plugs when cleaning my IACV and they had a little mosture on them and the spark plugs also on the outside had a little bit of built up water and mosture. I was sure that the spark plugs were going to be shot but they looked pretty normal to me. It sounds like the driver side 1st cylender is causing the most noise. (top right if youre standing in front of the car) The only thing I'm confused about is I have no check engine and if the spark was weak or if I had a major misfire wouldnt it throw a code? When I uncovered my car and poped the hood it was very damp on the inside because of the humidity. Could that cause any major damage? The car ran perfect before yes but now like the videos show it's struggling to stay over 50 RPM and has no power. I think just to be sure for rodents I need to get it on a lift.
CEL's are hit or miss from personal experience. Sometimes the ECU never sees the conditions needed to even run it's self tests in order to throw CEL's, and this is usually the case with misfires. In any case if you had an active misfire you would see a constant flashing CEL, and a constantly illuminated CEL means there is a code stored. A lot of the OBD1 codes are electronics issues codes that throw when something is unplugged or fails in a specific manner, save for the air-fuel rich or lean codes. So there's a good chance the car will run like trash but you'll never see a CEL so long as the ECU determines that all the electronics are plugged in and believes they are functioning properly. if the CEL isn't illuminated, for the time being either the ECU seems to think all of it's signals are OK OR it just hasn't had enough time to figure it out yet.

You mentioned moisture and water built up in the spark plug, do you mean in the spark plug well or the tip of the plug? If the tip of the plug is wet this means there is fuel being injected into the cylinder but the plug isn't firing. Which plugs have shown this condition? Also note that this in particular is not usually a problem with the spark plug itself but instead either the coil pack or ignitor that fires that specific plug.

If there is moisture pooled at the bottom of the spark plug wells this also needs to be corrected as it too can prevent the plug from firing. Was there any corrosion on the spark plugs?

Lastly, signs of rodents are pretty obvious. You'll see feces, acorn husks, fur and tiny paw prints. If you've got none of those there's a low likelihood of rodents getting in your engine and even lower likelihood they went to town on your wiring. They prefer the insides of cars more frequently anyway.
ToeNee (03-23-24)
Old 03-24-24, 09:58 AM
ToeNee
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
CEL's are hit or miss from personal experience. Sometimes the ECU never sees the conditions needed to even run it's self tests in order to throw CEL's, and this is usually the case with misfires. In any case if you had an active misfire you would see a constant flashing CEL, and a constantly illuminated CEL means there is a code stored. A lot of the OBD1 codes are electronics issues codes that throw when something is unplugged or fails in a specific manner, save for the air-fuel rich or lean codes. So there's a good chance the car will run like trash but you'll never see a CEL so long as the ECU determines that all the electronics are plugged in and believes they are functioning properly. if the CEL isn't illuminated, for the time being either the ECU seems to think all of it's signals are OK OR it just hasn't had enough time to figure it out yet.

You mentioned moisture and water built up in the spark plug, do you mean in the spark plug well or the tip of the plug? If the tip of the plug is wet this means there is fuel being injected into the cylinder but the plug isn't firing. Which plugs have shown this condition? Also note that this in particular is not usually a problem with the spark plug itself but instead either the coil pack or ignitor that fires that specific plug.

If there is moisture pooled at the bottom of the spark plug wells this also needs to be corrected as it too can prevent the plug from firing. Was there any corrosion on the spark plugs?

Lastly, signs of rodents are pretty obvious. You'll see feces, acorn husks, fur and tiny paw prints. If you've got none of those there's a low likelihood of rodents getting in your engine and even lower likelihood they went to town on your wiring. They prefer the insides of cars more frequently anyway.
For the spark plug it was just after I took off the protective plastic there was some water/moisture around where the well is I didnt see any in the actual well. I'm going to take off the protective plastic again and Ill send pictures of the plugs and well. I will also look into the actual coil pack also. Do you suggest trying to let the car run without the MAF connected to see if that is a root of the problem? Thank you for the info on the CEL.
Old 03-24-24, 07:34 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

car has to be operating temp for it to idle without the maf plugged in and yes you should be able to drive it. if it runs better unplugged then you have a maf problem

Quick Reply: 92 - Car is running horrible after taking out of storage