Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1993 SC400 Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 04:09 PM
benmarquis
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 1993 SC400 Crank no start

Hey i'm getting ready to buy a 93 sc 400 that is in a crank no start condition. I have another 93 sc400 sister car that I put back together a few years ago and is currently running perfectly at the moment. Also have a bunch of spare parts if needed to get the thing started. (ecu, fuel pump, starter, etc.)

Im pretty familiar with the platform so I know some basic checks on what to do/ look for. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had one in the same crank no start complaint and had any tips, tricks, or common problems. The previous owner has stated that they have tried "basic checks" like checking fuses and other little things here and there. He states that he thinks its an electrical issue, but the only electrical issue i can think of if it still cranks, would be a possible ecu/ maf sensor deal. I personally haven't ran into the ecu issue, but reading on these forums I have seen that there is a common problem with the ecus having leaky capacitors causing a wide variety of problems. I've heard that it is possible to send the ecus out to be re built if needed.
I
Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had the same or similar issue that I am going to have. I appreciate any help or tips.
Old 04-12-24, 07:25 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

turn the key to the on position dont start and see if the CEL light is on. if it is then listen for the fuel pump to prime by ear. then pull codes using the jumper box E1 and TE1
Old 04-13-24, 01:18 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Sounds like you know the likely suspects: fuel pump, fuel pump ecu, ECU fuse, ECU.

Do the easy stuff first, try the fuel pump ecu bypass. Check for fuel pressure at the rail.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (04-14-24)
Old 04-15-24, 03:06 PM
benmarquis
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thank you @RXRodger and @SexCoupe for the replies.

I have done some checked like checking the fuel pump. I heard it audibly prime while the key was turned on. Weird thing was that the CEL light was not on. Did some other electrical checks and found out that it dialed down to the bad ECU. Thankfully I had an extra good one sitting in my storage unit. Plugged it in and it fired right up. (got very lucky with that).

Thank you guys for the input and help. Just curious if you guys/ anyone else would know where to send those ECU's out to get rebuilt if needed. may or may do that with this one, but none the less I am curious if there is any place to ship/take them too if needed. Again thanks for the tips/tricks.
The following users liked this post:
RXRodger (04-15-24)