Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 NEW STARTER but still clicks?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-24 | 01:33 AM
Pleasehelpme
7th Gear

Default Sc400 NEW STARTER but still clicks?!?!

I don’t know if anyone is going to see this but I have a 1992 SC 400, I got it a while back everything was perfectly fine then one day it just gave out I changed the starter new spark plugs, new battery, clean up the injectors and got the ECU repaired, but when I go to turn on the car, it just clicks, I believe it’s the teeth of the starter that pops out, but it won’t spin the flywheel. What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-03-24 | 07:34 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

The fact that the starter clicks at all means that the Circuit to engage it is functional, so it could only be either Power or Mechanical malfunction. Check the Battery Voltage while the key is in Start Position, see if it drops considerably, which would indicate either a dead battery, or a locked up engine. If the voltage drops, try spinning the engine by hand, if it feels tighter than usual, try taking the Serpentine Belt off to see if one of the Accessories is locked up, like it is described here. If the voltage stays the same, check if the Starter you got is even functional, may as well take your old unit to any major Car Parts Store, they have equipment to Bench Test it.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
perfctreig (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24 | 09:40 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

let us know how it goes! I have 205,000 on my '99 wiht the original starter. i just want to know if I'll be stranded somewhere.
Old 06-04-24 | 06:43 PM
Pleasehelpme
7th Gear

Hello I’ve had spun the motor over before everything moves so the motor isn’t locked up. But I’m guessing it’s a ground that went bad somewhere I’m still trying to see why the starter keeps popping out but not spinning
Old 06-04-24 | 07:47 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Make sure to follow the steps described earlier, they will help locate the cause instead of taking a Shotgun approach and reaching out for all possible causes until you find something that may be the cause. First of all check the Battery Voltage while the key is in the Start position, that will tell you if you have Electrical or Mechanical issue.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 06-04-24 | 10:05 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Generally when it just clicks it means its not getting enough AMPs. it can read 12v but not have enough amps/strength to spin.check the power cable connection that goes to the starter it comes up beside AC compressor to the main power connection on the battery. i Doubt its a ground issue but you could use a jumper cable from the negative to the block of the engine somewhere for Diagnostic purposes