Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc300 Cranks but does not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-24, 10:11 PM
Willis04
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sc300 Cranks but does not start

My 96 Sc300 is not starting and im getting confused. The fuel pump is working I can hear it prime and made the mistake of unbolting the fuel line. I definitely have fuel lol. I put in new plugs, wires, alternator, and the distributor i pulled off a running sc. What else do i need to check? Also my crank sensor is plugged in and it shouldn't be my ecu
Old 06-20-24, 10:24 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

It seems like you have probably left something unplugged while doing your tune up. Check and make sure the MAF sensor is plugged in, check all the plugs, make sure they're all plugged in tight. Make sure the security light isn't flashing on the dash while you are cranking it over. It's got to be related to the tune up. Keep this updated, I am sure you will have a solution soon

Last edited by dwoods801; 06-20-24 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-27-24, 01:29 PM
Willis04
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwoods801
It seems like you have probably left something unplugged while doing your tune up. Check and make sure the MAF sensor is plugged in, check all the plugs, make sure they're all plugged in tight. Make sure the security light isn't flashing on the dash while you are cranking it over. It's got to be related to the tune up. Keep this updated, I am sure you will have a solution soon
Maf is plugged in as are every sensor and plug i can find. Im not sure if im getting fuel delivery from my rail however as it sounds as if it’s sputtering when i crank it. Other than fuel rail and injectors what could be causing that? Also it was not a tune up I got the car as a rolling shell and have built it up to this point and its 99% complete but im stumped at this issue
Old 06-29-24, 05:37 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

I see, that can definitely change your possible culprits. You just need to figure out if it’s a lack of fuel or lack of spark issue and then chase down where things are failing. So u can use some starter fluid to confirm that you have spark and not fuel. Just give a good blast down the intake tube, and see if it begins to start? Or sometimes you can a vehicle to start and idle momentarily with starter fluid. If it doesn’t change anything then your problem is a lack of spark. Once you have determined that, then it becomes a little easier to isolate the issue. If it’s a lack of fuel, you’ll just need to start at the fuel pump and make it’s coming on, and how far the fuel is going before it is getting interrupted? Or if it’s a lack of spark, then same thing, you’ll need to make sure the igniter is getting power and a signal etc, and then chasing it down from there