Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 Radiator Fan Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-24, 10:52 AM
Benjz
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 Radiator Fan Reccomendations

Hey, this is my first post here. I just bought a 2000 sc300 last week but it came missing a few things. The main part I have to replace now is a radiator fan. Does anybody have recommendations on if I should buy the oem fan, aftermarket, or use one from another car? I also want to keep into consideration that in the near future i plan on turbocharging the engine. I need something that isn’t a very painful install and will be able to keep my engine cooled.
Old 06-23-24, 07:10 AM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Use the original fan clutch & blade. It's much simpler & more reliable than aftermarket fans. When you do the turbo thing you reevaluate then depending on your horsepower goals. You will be bleeding money anyway & spending a few hundred now will not matter.
16210-46030, Fan Clutch & 16361-46040, Cooling Fan Blade.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 11:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

^^ Agreeing with Supra Dr's advice. The original OEM mechanical fan, fan clutch and fan shroud (and don't forget the lower plastic half of it below the blades which is held in with clips) is very effective.

When you have a turbocharger under the hood it can be beneficial to add a secondary helper fan which is either standalone ECU controlled to a single relay... or triggered by a conventional coolant temp sensor or the A/C mag clutch as the trigger to a single or multi-relay circuit that can act on either type of trigger to power on one or more auxiliary electric cooling fans.

The only proven electric cooling fan setup not using the factory mechanical fan that actually lasts effectively for these cars is the IS300 OEM dual fans set up with a custom PHR fan shroud on a totally custom control circuit. But this is not a cheap cooling setup to do right and if you look at most people's turbo engine builds regardless of there being a 2JZ-GE NA-T, 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE we almost always tend to stick with the OEM mechanical cooling fan and add auxiliary cooling fans as necessary for the setup.

The OEM mechanical fan still flows the most CFM of all with the OEM fan shroud. Upgrading to an aftermarket Koyo or Mishimoto radiator for turbo duty is a common and highly recommended choice.
Old 07-15-24, 11:43 AM
Benjz
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Fan Clutch

Thanks for the help guys, I found the clutch and fan on RockAuto for $90. They seem like the right oem parts but possibly for the non vvti engine? I tried installing the clutch but the 4 bolts on the pulley don’t line up with the 4 on the clutch. It’s possible the previous owner replaced the water pump and pulley with an aftermarket one or something as well, but i’m not sure.

If anyone knows where to find a clutch that fits the 4 bolts or a new water pump/pulley that fits the clutch I have please let me know.
Old 07-16-24, 11:54 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Did you try spinning the clutch bolt holes 90 degrees? Those bolt holes and the studs on the water pump pulley will not line up just any way. They will only line up two ways.

Did you pick up an Aisin made fan clutch from Rockauto?

To affix the four nuts you will need a "torque adapter" to go on the end of your torque wrench for clearance. I forget if the nuts are 12mm or 14mm. And you'll need a torque adapter calculator tool online. Or you can just use a closed end wrench. The ft-lbs required is not very much.