Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 Rebuild and Swap list

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-24, 04:54 PM
Aus10Sc3
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R154 Rebuild and Swap list

I just picked up a MK3 R154 that I’m planning on rebuilding and swapping into my 92sc300, trying to get a list of parts I will need squared away and I just have a few questions.

planning on getting the Driftmotion Rebuild/Upgrade kit with all the marlin crawler goodies in it

is the VSS that driftmotion sell plug and play with the early Sc’s or do I need to get the adapter kit that marlin crawler sells

anything I should be aware of while rebuilding the trans?

Will the stock ecu still work? I really don’t care if a CEL pops up

is there a preference on tripod or direct?
If I get a tripod will I have to cut into my trans tunnel less?

I know I’ll need a trans support mount

will most likely get an oem supra clutch and brake pedal assembly

master cylinder and clutch I’m not super worried abt at the moment

will be keeping the stock diff for right now so I’ll have to get a driveshaft adapter, most likely from drift motion

And last but not least I’ll probably just go with a custom 1 piece driveshaft instead of trying to source the parts to make a 2 piece work

lmk if there’s anything that I’m doing that sounds hella stupid or if I’m missing something super important

Last edited by Aus10Sc3; 09-06-24 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Wrong info
The following users liked this post:
Turbostar (09-06-24)
Old 09-05-24, 06:16 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

The VSS that drift motion sells Product Code: DM693 converts the mechanical signal to electronic. This is identical to the one marlin crawler sells. But you will still need the speedometer parts with the gear that slip into the transmission for this to screw into.

I'm not sure what the cross member thing is about, as I used my OEM 1995 auto cross member for my R154.
Old 09-05-24, 06:45 PM
Aus10Sc3
6th Gear

Originally Posted by joewitafro
The VSS that drift motion sells Product Code: DM693 converts the mechanical signal to electronic. This is identical to the one marlin crawler sells. But you will still need the speedometer parts with the gear that slip into the transmission for this to screw into.

I'm not sure what the cross member thing is about, as I used my OEM 1995 auto cross member for my R154.

Sorry I meant trans support mount no clue why I said cross member

as for the VSS I haven’t cracked open the trans yet but the physical gear is already in there

I’m assuming I can just get the converter and I should be chilling?

appreciate the advice I’m new to big projects lol
Old 09-05-24, 10:32 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

Yep you can just get the VSS converter and you will be good there.

And I see what you mean, the rubber trans mount is what you still need. Mine has offset ears due to being a chaser R154 so I'm not sure which one you need for this.

As far as tripod vs internal swan shifter, there have been multiple revisions of the R154 that have changed this.

MK3 supras used an internal shifter (no tripod) with a slight swan on the shift lever itself
JZX90's/early soarers used an internal shifter that had an OEM extension that was about 1", with a swan shifter that was a bit more intense (about an 1" back from the MK3 supra shifter lever)
JZX100/late model soarers used the tripod remote R154 with a vertical shifter
JZX110's swapped back to an internal style but use a vertical shifter

Any of them will work, but the original MK3 supras are the shortest and most people get an extension to fit better in the SC and have less swan on the shifter. I ran a driftmotion diff adapter for a long time and it works great for the 1 piece drive-shaft. I just put on their full aluminum with billet front/rear and rebuildable joints, but in the past on my GS i used an OEM R154 front yolk/joint and had a steel 1pc made from a local drive shaft shop with a 1350 rear ujoint for much cheaper and that worked fine for many years.
The following users liked this post:
Turbostar (09-06-24)
Old 09-06-24, 07:26 AM
Aus10Sc3
6th Gear

I gotcha will just order the vss converter

mine is a mk3 so id assume that the Driftmotion R154 Swap Transmission Mount Kit product code DM2643 should be the right fit. as for the shifter location i guess ill either look into doing an extension or just end up cutting the trans tunnel up a bit and save some money

as for your diff adapter kit was it the Driftmotion Product Code DM221 or something else?