Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ok ... what ignition upgrades are you guys using ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-03, 09:49 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a b&m new volt, harness and fuses, but decided not to install it with the full GTE swap. I'll probably end up selling it, anyone interested?
Old 11-30-03, 07:48 PM
racing fan
Driver

I have a msd coil somewhere and plan on getting a 6 or 7al whenever teh car needs it.... I wouldn't reccomend getting rid of teh distributor... What other ignition system will ahve no problem cruising with a 17:1 afr
Old 01-28-04, 05:52 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Bumping this up because I am still looking for any ideas for ignition upgrades. I see motorheaddown is now using ignition from a 3000GT ?

Does anyone have a Twin Power for sale ?

Or how about anyone selling ANY complete bolt-up aftermarket ignition ?
Old 01-28-04, 06:36 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Well, I did have one for sale..

Have some spare 3kgt coils and a PTU in my garage, if they would be of any use.
Old 01-28-04, 07:08 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had some problems a few months back with a misfire. I swapped out my Denso Iridiums for some 6097's....had the miss even more. Then added an MSD blaster coil....still a miss at higher boost. Ordered the Twin Power. While waiting, I picked up some new plug wires. While replacing the wires, I found the distributor wire post nearest to the turbo inlet slightly bent . Popped it off and found a crack in the post and the probable cause of my misfire. Put it all back together with the twin power and some brand new HKS iridiums. The result....Immediate startup, perfect idle,no more misfire. Hope this helps.

gadgetSC-t
Old 01-28-04, 07:24 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Slasher, Yah, I know, I should've picked yours up, I am still pissed.

Can anyone verify for sure that the NA version and the TT version of the HKS Twin Power are the same ? According to the HKS website, they are the same part number ... but if I bought one from a Supra TT would I use the same harness, etc ?
Old 01-28-04, 08:19 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

HKS also lists a GE harness for the Twin Power.
Old 01-28-04, 10:23 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah... I've completed the full 3kGT ignition because it was designed for wasted spark. I'm still missing at 15psi; so my next addition is MSD-DIS4. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I have engine problems.

-scott
Old 01-28-04, 10:23 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Angel
Slasher, Yah, I know, I should've picked yours up, I am still pissed.

Can anyone verify for sure that the NA version and the TT version of the HKS Twin Power are the same ? According to the HKS website, they are the same part number ... but if I bought one from a Supra TT would I use the same harness, etc ?
MSD 6 or7 al.....
Old 01-29-04, 01:00 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Yah, after doing some reading last night, I am about 96% sure that I am going to buy an MSD 6AL. The 7AL seems like overkill and the price on the 6AL is just too damn good.

If anyone sees any reason why I shouldn't get the 6AL, post now or else I will probably order one first thing next week.
Old 01-29-04, 06:15 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had an issue with the MSD box either. I have the 6BTM version which basically just adds timing retard under boost. Once you get through the obscure wiring (don't even bother following any diagrams, they're all wrong) everything has worked flawlessly, never a problem with the system, never a problem with misfire under boost. Currently running Denso Iridiums, not sure if they're any better than the 3330s I was using, but I'm sure they'll last longer. Running stock compression means ultra rich mixtures for cooling to avoid detonation, and no doubt the MSD box has helped with firing a non-standard mixture.
Old 01-29-04, 07:29 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

I think I have my heart set on the MSD 6A ... about 99.1% sure now. I don't need the 6AL because I don't need the rev limiter feature because my AEM does all that crap and I don't need the 6BTM for the timing control because my AEM does all that crap, so I can save the extra $ and just get the MSD 6A. I am pretty excited to get back on the dyno again ....

Last edited by Angel; 01-29-04 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-29-04, 07:57 AM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Angel
I think I have my heart set on the MSD 6A ... about 99.1% sure now. I don't need the 6AL because I don't need the rev limiter feature because my AEM does all that crap and I don't need the 6BTM for the timing control because my AEM does all that crap, so I can save the extra $ and just get the MSD 6A. I am pretty excited to get back on the dyno again ....
Were you having issues with ignition breaking up? What did you do about the tranny? Antoehr 5 spd?
Old 01-29-04, 08:47 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Yah, I am still on my 2nd tranny. I am waiting on my clutch rebuild from HPF, it will be here tomorrow and the car is going back together. I want to get the ignition upgraded because I want to hit the dyno on Feb 21 with some race gas and maybe some giggle gas ... I just want to make sure the rest of my car is ready for the fun.
Old 01-29-04, 10:51 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angel, did you ever have a driveline "shimmy" in neutral from an out of balance pressure plate? I've had one HPF plate and one RPS plate with the shimmy, one RPS plate that was properly balanced. Just curious. Other than that, my HPF clutch seems to be doing ok.

Quick Reply: Ok ... what ignition upgrades are you guys using ?