Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ok ... what ignition upgrades are you guys using ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 12:38 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by "shimmy"? I hear strange noises in nuetral. Goes away after a little driving for the most part. Not sure if I should expect problems in the future, but I think that is probably a given. This ignition stuff makes perfect sense and I'm not near 500 ponies even but I've only blown spark out a couple times at high boost. It would be a good idea to upgrade. I like the looks of the plug and play HKS box though over the MSD even though I've always used MSD in the past on other cars. I tried to hook up a 6A on a honda and had a hell of a time. Like Scott said, the schematics are utter ****e - I had to have a tuner wire it up. That was a few years ago though, I might be a little better at it now.
Old 01-29-04, 04:34 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I never had a shimmy in neutral .. I have the ACT PP.

I am not sure if you can try this ... but if you can, go for it. Let your car warm up and idle perfectly. Listen for any noises, just sitting, idling in neutral, and normal operating temperature. Now, try to close both of your windows and your sunroof all at the same time (make sure they are ALREADY closed). If your car is like mine, it will drop the idle down for a couple seconds because of the strain on the alternator ... yours may not do it ... my standalone makes my car do funny things. But if it DOES drop your RPM, listen for rattling noises or any abnormal noises. If you hear any noises, let me know, as you are in trouble soon.

You guys may also just be hearing your clutch release bearing. If you are hearing something in neutral, does it go away when you push the clutch in ? If so, it is your release bearing, nothing out of the ordinary.

When I think if shimmy, I think of the car actually kinda moving ... shimmying .... I never had anything like that. I did have something similar when I was driving and I would let off the gas and de-celerate while still in gear, but it turned out to be loose driveshaft bolts.

You guys are scaring me with this wiring of the MSD ignition. I am pretty well stuck on buying one and I don't want to go thru another wiring nightmare. I guess we will soon see.
Old 01-29-04, 04:37 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Oh, BTW, my setup is ACT PP with HPF disc. I have about 3,700 miles on the disc ... I broke 4 flywheel bolts and them went flying around in there and took a nice chunk out of one of the pucks. HPF is rebuilding it for me, I get it back tomorrow, but I did want to note ... other than that chunk, the disc was pretty well mint still. My last clutch (Clutchnet) only lasted 4,000 miles and when I took it out, it looked like it had been in there for 100,000 miles. I am happy so far with HPF. I have not taken the car to the track or done any hard launches on the HPF clutch yet tho .. my Clutchnet on the other hand saw dozens of G-Tech runs and 8 track passes.

Let's keep this thread on track
Old 01-29-04, 06:34 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply mean a vibration when in neutral revving the engine lightly. Its most notable at 1500rpm and when cold. I get no noise whatsoever. Its almost similar in feel to an out of balance tire, only in the driveline. I too have the same exact clutch setup. Its been babied, but seems solid for now.

Back on to the topic... I'm not sure what your setup entails, but on a stock setup, the wiring I've posted has worked for me. With regard to the tach adapter, the part# is 8910EIS. I think they may try to sell you a 8910es or similar, but what you need is the EIS version. See my site for the diagram that worked for me:

http://www.datapathusa.com/scott/Images/msd.pdf
Old 01-29-04, 07:33 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

So I get something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2456014483

And then I have to find the tach adapter and I am good to go ?
Old 01-30-04, 08:39 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Screw it, I just bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2457597369

The MSD tech said that the 8910 is the universal tach adapter and I just need to get the proper diode for my car ? We will see.
Old 01-30-04, 09:40 PM
racing fan
Driver

Thanks in advance for figuring it out for me lol
Old 01-31-04, 05:13 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

lol, does that mean you are considering doing the same ?
Old 01-31-04, 08:02 AM
racing fan
Driver

Why do you think I suggested it: