Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ok ... what ignition upgrades are you guys using ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-03, 03:52 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok ... what ignition upgrades are you guys using ?

*sigh* .. OK .. I guess I will go ahead and upgrade my igntion. I am tired of 500hp. I want 700hp and I don't trust my ignition anymore ..

Enough of the greedy, bs talk ... honestly, I just want to know what is the best bang for the buck out there ... or what you guys are using that WORKS well

HKS Twin Power ?
MSD 6AL ?
MSD 7AL ?
etc...

I got a Jacobs ICE ignition for free the other day .. I am considering using that, but I figured I would make a post and see what is working for everyone else.
Old 11-25-03, 07:40 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angel, since you've got the AEM, you've got more options: You could do LS1 coil packs and MK3 CPS like Dave H or keep the distributor and just put an MSD 6AL box on it. I've got the 6BTM which just adds timing retard which is useless in your case. Even without the retard, the 6BTM made a world of difference in both smoothness of idle, the transition into boost, and the ability to resist misfire under boost. It runs much better, especially under higher boost levels and race gas. Under a certain RPM the MSD6BTM fires the plugs twice, which changes the engine note into more of a motor boat burble. It can fire a spark a few inches - you have to be very careful with it. I can't really vouch for seat of the pants power, cause the boost retard enabled so much more boost for me, it was hard to tell if the extra oomph was due to the extra psi or the MSD box. I'd venture to bet it helped the dyno numbers, though.
Old 11-26-03, 02:23 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Angel,

I word of caution about the LS1 setup. Only one person has broken into the 10s on LS1s alone. That was Blkmgk. DaveH is using a B&M coil volt to boost the LS1 coil output. I've been struggling with a misfire problem that could be related to heat soak on the coils, but I'm not quite sure. You could be in the same situation with coils 3 and 4 buried under the intake plumbing.

-scott
Old 11-26-03, 06:22 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Scott, if you had to do it again, would you do it again with LS1 coils, or would you just keep the distributor setup? Would you recommend coil packs for a setup with an SP63 or SP66?
Old 11-26-03, 06:29 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

LS!s are the simplest and least expensive way to run a fully electronic ignition with the AEM. If I can figure out why my car is missing, then yes. I'd definitely recommend this setup.

-scott
Old 11-26-03, 08:07 AM
DaveH
Rookie

The extra $229 for the B&M NewVolt made all the difference in the world with the LS1 coils. My car runs flawlessly now at .028" gap and 24psi of boost. I would recommend this setup.

If you want to stay with the distributor, I made a little over 600rwhp with a HKS Twin Power and a MSD Blaster coil.

Scott: I ran the 10.17 with JUST the LS1 coils, no voltage booster at that time. It will run a LOT faster now (once they open the dragstrip here after winter).

DaveH
Old 11-26-03, 08:14 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

9s on a full weight car, that is sick... When will the track be open up there? July? ;-)

I'm wondering if an SP66 (ish) will fit with the distributor and the spacing inherent in the Toyomoto manifold. If it fits, I'd be inclined to stay with it for awhile.

A buddy of mine just got finished with a Ford 408 stroker on a Factory Five Cobra replica with a 9" rear end in it. He's at 2700 lbs / 400rwhp and talking alot of s#!t and I need to keep up with him on the street if not on the track. What do you think it would take? (Besides 6spd driveline).
Old 11-26-03, 08:24 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With the HKS TwinPower you could get a harness. So it would be a plug and play job. The harness is made for N/A Supra (no doubt it would work on the SC3).

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 11-26-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-26-03, 11:49 AM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Well, Performance Factory used the NA head on thier drag Supra, solely for the distributor setup.. The car ran 8's, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure what coil or ign add-ons they were using, though.

The only (reasonable or easy) way to keep sequential ignition w/ the AEM ECU (and some others) is to use the distributor.. If you have the room, then why not keep it? It's cheaper and better in this application.

Mike

Last edited by Shellhouse; 11-26-03 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-26-03, 01:03 PM
DaveH
Rookie

I had a T66 on my Toyomoto manifold with a spacer, but it had a T04S comp cover with a 3" inlet. I think that getting a 4" inlet on there would be aweful tough.

July..... yeah that's about it. :/

DaveH

Originally posted by SC300T
9s on a full weight car, that is sick... When will the track be open up there? July? ;-)

I'm wondering if an SP66 (ish) will fit with the distributor and the spacing inherent in the Toyomoto manifold. If it fits, I'd be inclined to stay with it for awhile.

A buddy of mine just got finished with a Ford 408 stroker on a Factory Five Cobra replica with a 9" rear end in it. He's at 2700 lbs / 400rwhp and talking alot of s#!t and I need to keep up with him on the street if not on the track. What do you think it would take? (Besides 6spd driveline).
Old 11-26-03, 01:03 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I will not get the LS1 coil setup. I am just, plain & simple, not convinced. BTW, there are 2 cars in the 10s with the setup, DaveH & BLKMGK, but regardless ... it just doesn't seem like the way to go, in my opinion. I do plan on keeping the distributor .. I think I might hook up this Jacobs just to see if it does anything exciting at all, and if not, I very well may just get an HKS Twin Power. We will see.
Old 11-26-03, 03:58 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Dave, yeah I agree, 4" inlet not gonna happen with the distributor there. Slasher, that car is now in the sevens, still using a GTE block and GE head...the GE head has more room for porting, I believe this had more to do with their decision to use it. Angel, I had that Jacobs box on a nitrous small block car a few years back, worked well for me. You and me and a couple others are gonna have to meet up and hit e-town or Atco soon as it warms up.
Old 11-26-03, 04:42 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Good to hear about the Jacobs ... like I said, I will probably give it a shot ... I mean ... it was free why not ?

Hitting the track ... yah, I will be up for that, hopefully I break my tranny and I can get something that can handle some real tires and a true "Angel" launch I miss my MR2 Turbo quite a bit.
Old 11-26-03, 07:10 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Dave, yeah I agree, 4" inlet not gonna happen with the distributor there. Slasher, that car is now in the sevens, still using a GTE block and GE head...the GE head has more room for porting, I believe this had more to do with their decision to use it. Angel, I had that Jacobs box on a nitrous small block car a few years back, worked well for me. You and me and a couple others are gonna have to meet up and hit e-town or Atco soon as it warms up.
Understandable about the fitment.. It's worked so far in his setup, so why change if he can swing it? Personally, I'm going to have to lose the distributor.

FWIW, PF told me the intake ports on the GE are not as "port-able" (just woke up) as the GTE.

Mike
Old 11-27-03, 04:45 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

I am waiting for my aem cdi to get here to hook it up i will let you know how it works out .

Quick Reply: Ok ... what ignition upgrades are you guys using ?