Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does the sc400 timing belt tensioner bolt into the block?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Kxdza
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does the sc400 timing belt tensioner bolt into the block?

Doing my water pump and timing belt and i stripped the bolt for the tensioner off like a dummy. -_- I would just leave it however the timing is off so i cant unfortunately
Unless anybody has any tips to rotate the left cam (driver side) a few notches without removing the tensioner im going to have to extract the bolt either with a bolt extractor bit or by drilling it out. If it comes down to drilling it out im very nervous because i think the tensioner bolts into the aluminum block and i don't want to **** it up. Any advice?
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What bolt did you strip exactly ? the allen key style?
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
Kxdza
Rookie

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
What bolt did you strip exactly ? the allen key style?
The bottom bolt. There's 2 bolts that go into the bottom. It's not the roller part but the tensioner part that pushes up into the roller. It's a 12 mil. This thing

Last edited by Kxdza; Yesterday at 07:55 PM. Reason: image pasted weird
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

how do you know you need to extract it?? it is very difficult to cross thread those 2 bolts
Old Today, 02:54 AM
Kxdza
Rookie

how do you know you need to extract it?? it is very difficult to cross thread those 2 bolts
Sorry I was pretty tired and frustrated when I wrote that up last night. It’s not stripped it’s snapped off in there
Old Today, 10:32 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

its not a big deal. figure out what thread pitch it is then buy a helicoil kit that matches. drill and tap and insert helicoil.

You could also remove the rocker tensioner and try to extract the bolt from the opposite side.

or although not recommended if you have a 91-94 sc400 you could just use one bolt. if the bolt breaks youll just have to tow it home and redo the entire job with the helicoil.
Old Today, 12:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 440 Likes on 370 Posts

If it is snapped off then removing the other bolt should allow you to remove the tensioner.
Then see if you can get vice grips on the snapped bolt end and back it out, if not then its a drill it out carefully and tap the threads situation.
If you have a bolt extractor set with left hand drill bits you can try that.

The tensioner usually doesn't bolt into the block, it'll usually go into the oil pump which is not easy to remove without pulling the engine so I would go slowly and try not to damage the threads.
The following users liked this post:
Whitefarms (Today)
Old Today, 12:36 PM
Kxdza
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
If it is snapped off then removing the other bolt should allow you to remove the tensioner.
Then see if you can get vice grips on the snapped bolt end and back it out, if not then its a drill it out carefully and tap the threads situation.
If you have a bolt extractor set with left hand drill bits you can try that.

The tensioner usually doesn't bolt into the block, it'll usually go into the oil pump which is not easy to remove without pulling the engine so I would go slowly and try not to damage the threads.
The one that snapped off is the one that bolts into the enclosed area (the oil pump). I have a screw extractor drill bit set but maybe left hand drill bits would be a better option?
Thank you for the reply
Old Today, 12:40 PM
Kxdza
Rookie

its not a big deal. figure out what thread pitch it is then buy a helicoil kit that matches. drill and tap and insert helicoil.

You could also remove the rocker tensioner and try to extract the bolt from the opposite side.

or although not recommended if you have a 91-94 sc400 you could just use one bolt. if the bolt breaks youll just have to tow it home and redo the entire job with the helicoil.
Whats the advantage to the heli coil over a regular drill and tap? Is it just that it will match the original threads or is there something I’m missing?
Thank you for the help