Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing I6 spark plugs - blow-by-blow

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-03, 11:51 AM
HenriSc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hey,
Thank for the help. I've found what I am looking for. But I still have to change my fuel injector. THere are not much about that on this site. Do you know when we have to change the fuel injector? Where can I buy one, etc.?/
Thank
Old 12-15-03, 01:09 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

Henri, What side of Houston are you on? I can get from my house in CS to Baytown in about 2.5 hours and I can get from my place to Galveston in right at 2 hours. I can get to north Houston in about an hour and 10 minutes, it really isn't all that far. If you got the stuff you needed, I could help you fix it.

What makes you think you need an injector, the plugs I can see replacing just as a preemptive strike, but an injector?
Old 12-15-03, 05:34 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you pull the upper intake manifold you can pull the fuel rail
intake mani is easy to get off once you've done it once or twice... (i've done it around 7 or 8 times)
Old 12-15-03, 05:34 PM
HenriSc300
Driver School Candidate

Keith,
I need your help. I try to do it by myself and follow one of the instruction on this site. Something goe wrong. I live in South Houston in pasadena. If you could come and give me a hand it would be great. Email me at Johnny_02_1999@yahoo.com for more information.
Old 12-15-03, 05:37 PM
HenriSc300
Driver School Candidate

Bean,
I try to install the spark plug. My car start and then shut down. What could be wrong?/ The only time when it doesn't shut down is when I rev it up. If I do anything else, it would shut down...
Help me please I am stuck
Old 12-15-03, 08:45 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Hello friend. Check your throttle position sensor, all plug connections and wires. Did you get the wires put back on in the correct firing order? Check the mass air sensor connection if you had removed it. You can run a diagnostic check through the port. I can send you the basic procedure to see if you are throwing code. Good luck.
Old 12-15-03, 09:51 PM
HenriSc300
Driver School Candidate

Awj,
I put back everything correctly- I think. But could you send me the basic procedure so I could see if anything wrong with it. I put all of the stuff back to normal.
Old 12-15-03, 09:57 PM
HenriSc300
Driver School Candidate

To all,
I try the procedure above and try to change my spark plug. It fail. I couldn't open the throttle body (the one after the intake and before the Y-valve) the bottom lug is too hard to get out. So I put everything back to normal. The car start and then shut down right away. Could anybody tell me what to do.
Help Please
Old 12-15-03, 10:29 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I will hit you up tomorrow. I will be sending the diagnostic procudere to run the maflunction codes off your vehicle computer.
Old 12-15-03, 10:48 PM
2kwiq
Rookie

i took some pics the other day after reading Dale's great post. with his directions, i was able to get everythign apart. i hope these pics help. keep posting these step by steps.

pic 1 (engine bay)
pic 2 (throttle cable)
pic 3 (vacuum hoses)

i think that included most of what instructions were.
Old 12-15-03, 10:55 PM
2kwiq
Rookie

henrysc

i think there are 6 nuts total under the TB. 4 that hold the bracket. 2 more you can only get to with a deep socket wrench. dale mentioned them in the post but it's under additional notes. then there are those 2 long bolts on top.

even with that thing spread open, it's still a biee to get plug 3. as i was reading you should also do it when the engine is cool. might help with reaching down there.
Old 12-16-03, 06:41 AM
HenriSc300
Driver School Candidate

2kwiq,
I try to take the TB out. I took the two long lug out on the top. THere are two small one on the top and one on the bottom that is very hard to reach. I can't get to that one. So I start to put everything back to normal, but it won't stay on( the engine that is). IT start and then shut down right away.
Old 12-16-03, 07:53 AM
HenriSc300
Driver School Candidate

To all,
I try to remove this, but was unsuccessful. What is this anyway. THen I put everything back it start and shut down again.
Attached Thumbnails Changing I6 spark plugs - blow-by-blow-sc-engine.jpg  
Old 12-16-03, 09:10 AM
2kwiq
Rookie

well, it looks like you got the bolts out cause it is moving apart. but it looks like your cruise cable is still attached. also, that stupid coolent hose underneath is holding it together. it's acting like a rubber band and drawing it together. count the bolts you disassembled. you should have 6 nuts and the 2 long bolts.

go thru his directions in reverse very carefully when you put it back totgether. good luck. man, i wish i had a vvti
Old 12-16-03, 09:31 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Henry, that is your throttle position sensor. TPS. Run the diagnostic check I e-mailed to you. Chances are, if you removed it and put it back and now your car is stalling out - that is your problem. Like I said before.

Quick Reply: Changing I6 spark plugs - blow-by-blow