Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing I6 spark plugs - blow-by-blow

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-03, 07:52 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what plugs do you all recomend. its time for me to change out my plugs.
Old 08-26-07, 04:57 PM
orangecar
Pole Position

after changing my spark plugs im getting a dull tapping noise. do you think this could be the plugs or is it something else?
Old 08-26-07, 04:59 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 265 Posts

did you properly gap the plugs before you installed them?
Old 08-26-07, 05:32 PM
orangecar
Pole Position

yeah I set them and I even tested the engine by removing the spark plugs one by one ... nothing changed
Old 10-31-07, 09:57 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to update this useful thread with some info:

Spark Plug specs:
Electrode gap 0.043 in (1.1 mm)
Torque value 13 ft.lb (18 Nm)

1. Remove wire covers.
2. Remove throttle body. Refer to FUEL SUPPLY AND AIR INDUCTION .

Disconnect negative battery terminal.
Drain engine coolant into an approved container.

Disconnect cables from throttle body.
Disconnect PCV hose from valve cover.
Disconnect power steering air hose from timing cover.

Remove throttle body bracket.

Remove the following connectors and hoses:
Throttle position sensor
Sub-throttle postion sensor (if equipped)
Sub-throttle actuator (if equipped)
IAC valve
4 vacuum hoses

Remove throttle body mounting hardware.
Disconnect 2 water bypass hoses.
Remove throttle body and gasket.
Reverse procedure to install, using a new gasket and noting the following torque values:
Throttle body - 15 ft.lb (21 Nm)
Throttle body bracket - 15 ft.lb (21 Nm)
Old 01-18-08, 10:12 PM
rootaku
Rookie

You think it's possible for someone with no experience under the hood to attempt this? I tried 3 DIY's so far but none under the hood this much. I need to change my plugs soon and well It's going to cost roughly 200+ dollars at a local auto mechanic and I don't even want to know how much it'll be at a Lexus Dealership (maybe I should try toyota dealership?)

I read the whole thread and at one point, mentions that you can access the sparkplugs by only having to remove the "upper intake manifold" piece off, which is the Y looking thing right? but that Throttle Body seems like its more in the way, could I get instructions step by step through this means? Or should I stick to the initial post which breaks down almost everything. One poster even says he does the plugs within 25 mins which is pretty fast. Which route should I go if I were to attempt it?

After looking under hood right now, I think I even might have a leaking distributor.. As I notice more fluids under the little tray/pan thing right under it after cleaning it dry the day before.. and I see a puddle of fluids on the bottom cover thing. damn -.- Time to search a DIY for that <_<
Old 01-19-08, 11:21 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rootaku
You think it's possible for someone with no experience under the hood to attempt this? I tried 3 DIY's so far but none under the hood this much. I need to change my plugs soon and well It's going to cost roughly 200+ dollars at a local auto mechanic and I don't even want to know how much it'll be at a Lexus Dealership (maybe I should try toyota dealership?)

I read the whole thread and at one point, mentions that you can access the sparkplugs by only having to remove the "upper intake manifold" piece off, which is the Y looking thing right? but that Throttle Body seems like its more in the way, could I get instructions step by step through this means? Or should I stick to the initial post which breaks down almost everything. One poster even says he does the plugs within 25 mins which is pretty fast. Which route should I go if I were to attempt it?

After looking under hood right now, I think I even might have a leaking distributor.. As I notice more fluids under the little tray/pan thing right under it after cleaning it dry the day before.. and I see a puddle of fluids on the bottom cover thing. damn -.- Time to search a DIY for that <_<
if you never worked under the hood then dont do it. you will have more headaches later. either do it with someone that knows his stuff so they can help you along the way or give it to a mechanic to do the job.

i just did my plugs, valve cover gaskets, distributor o-ring all in about 3 hours...including a lunch and a few cigarette breaks while working in my garage in 30 degree weather. its very easy but i have been doing this kinda stuff all the time for a long time. when i did my plugs i removed the whole upper manifold assembly. i disconnected the coolant hose underneath and placed the whole assembly on the exhaust manifold (engine was cold dont worry ). i did not separate the throttle body from the manifold.

as far as the leak in the distributor it is not the o-ring. i just changed mine and i still have oil in the little metal tray below the distributor . the leak is internal to the distributor. it is not the seal that goes around the distributor and cylinder head. the solution to this is a new distributor or to take yours apart and go to a hardware store and get a new o-ring. i dont think toyota sells that distributor seal separately. anyone has any info on this chime in.
Old 05-13-08, 10:32 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bring this back, but can anyone confirm the size of the socket needed to remove the plugs? I want to make sure i have all the tools needed before i start.
Old 06-07-08, 06:07 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unreal-
Sorry to bring this back, but can anyone confirm the size of the socket needed to remove the plugs? I want to make sure i have all the tools needed before i start.
I could use this info as well. I couldn't remember which size plug socket to get.
Old 06-07-08, 07:18 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there is only two possible spark plug sizes...at least common ones.

if you have a tool set to do the job then it will most likely come with spark plug sockets of both sizes. for our plugs you need the smaller spark plug socket.

good luck.
Old 06-07-08, 08:57 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TommySC
I could use this info as well. I couldn't remember which size plug socket to get.
Should be 5/8" for all Lexus.
Old 04-27-09, 07:49 PM
carbophat
Rookie

. great find..
Old 12-01-09, 08:16 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this made my life easier. thanks a lot to the OP.

*Edit: i just changed the cap, rotor, cables, and plugs today*

FYI: you do NOT have to completely remove the TB to replace sparks plugs, or remove/change the cables. Just pull the TB out far enough to access the the spark plug ports.

Last edited by MIGS; 12-01-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 10:51 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never did it before....but me and a buddy attempted and it turned out great...Throttle body was a pain to take out...didn't realize the bottom 2 bolts. The coolant hose is probably the most troubling to remove and re-install.
Old 03-08-10, 12:33 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing back for just a little verification..when screwing in the new plugs, how tight do you recommend?

Quick Reply: Changing I6 spark plugs - blow-by-blow