Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

check engine light and traction control off sign going off

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 09:43 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light and traction control off sign going off

I had my intake taken apart and put back together again (we were exploring cold air box options) and put it back together.

After we put it back together...as I drive, the traction control light and check engine light come off and on when I drive. The drivability of the car is fine. I just think we missed some sensors.
What should I recheck?

1)the airflowmeter next to the intake was connected.
2)the vacuum tube was connected

I'm just confused. The engine runs fine. It just seems like the sensor is really sensitive now and I can't single out which one it is.

ANyone have any tips on how I can troubleshoot this?
Old 01-05-04, 09:10 AM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

There's a small vacum line to the right of the intake.tube. Check the line and check the little plastic fitting that the line goes on. I had to put epoxy on the fitting because it had a crack and was sucking air.
After I did this,no engine or traction light!
Old 01-05-04, 09:20 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Oh so you had this happen to you too?

Yeah..I was checking to see if there was some issue w/the ecu I installed but I don't think that was it.

The only time the check engine and traction control went on was AFTER the intake was messed with.

So check the vacuum hose and the tip? Cool. I'll check it out.
Thanks.

Michael
Old 01-06-04, 09:46 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default So you got the same readout?

So you got the same traction control and check engine light? I hope it's just epoxy that I need.
Old 01-06-04, 09:58 AM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

Yes,both the check engine and traction control lights came on at the same time. Hopefully you just left the vaccum line off but if the little plastic nipple (or holder} is cracked it's an easy fix.

I did a tuneup on my SC400 and I noticed that the previous owner of car had put epoxy on the little nipple that holds the vaccum line. I didn't think much of it at the time but after the tuneup I test drove the car,had to punch it a little bit ya know,and then the lights came on. On further inspection I noticed that the little nipple was cracked.I just used some epoxy stuff I had and it did the trick.I reset the ECU by pulling the battery cable for about 15 minutes and it's been months and no lights have came back on.

Now if this isn't the problem then you need to check your O-2 Sensors. I have heard that bad O-2s will cause the traction and engine light to come on also.

Good luck and lets us know how you come out.
Old 01-06-04, 10:06 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Yeah...

Well...I went to this tuner who is going to build me a new intake cold air box.
He took apart my current set up...an injen air intake w/tubing..took off all the sensors..and we then put it back together.

As I drove away the sensors came on and off. I went back to his shop and he replaced the hoses and put clamps on each side..and still the sensors cam on...and now they stay on.
I disconnected the battery for an hour this weekend and it still comes on. I now wish he didn't take the intake apart.

I'll check out the O2 sensors and vacuum hose and nipple. I bet it was that.

BTW..is it safe for me to drive the car with these sensors going off like this? Or is it just an annoying sensor so no real problem driving? I noticed the car's drivability is fine.

Michael
Old 01-08-04, 05:21 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

I think it's safe to dive but I would get it checked soon. Hopefully it's something small like the vacum.

Good luck
Old 01-10-04, 07:55 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Got a diagnostic and the verdict is..

well..turns out it has NOTHING to do with my ECU NOR they INTAKE being taken apart.
IT has to do with AGE.

Basically the left REAR O2 sensor is going out. That has nothing to do with any of the stuff added.
Soo....that would explain the weird idles..the check engine lights...the car running rich...

I just need to replace that. Part and labor is 240 bucks =(