Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Forced Induction on the Soare V8/SC400- PROOF!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 07:06 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Forced Induction on the Soarer V8/SC400- PROOF!!

Ladies and Gents:

Here is a mpeg of the SC400 burning rubber like I have never seen or heard anywhere!! Absolutely sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/ameiers/Drag.WMV[/url][/url][/url] [url]

This is Neil Griffiths SC400 on the track in Australia. He is the owner of Rush Imports, and he has the very SuperCharger kit I was going to be importing and supporting into the US, until that whole thing blew up due to some lynching emails from some members here Not a problem, after that, I decided to get out of the Lexus SC400/performance tuning business, stay focused on Voice/Data/Telecommunications(Never gave that up, nor intended to), and simply mod my car and help others where I can. But, I would have deliverd as promised, if things did not go south

Keep in mind, that kit will not work on US spec cars, but, Neil has assured me he is working on it.

Enjoy!!!

Altstadt

Last edited by SC400T; 01-19-04 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 08:18 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Impressive

gadgetSC-t
Old 01-19-04, 09:55 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it has a bit too much power

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-19-04, 10:52 AM
killerlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too much power?????
he smoked the tires all the way up the track. thats what power is. on the highway he must be nasty
Old 01-19-04, 12:44 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

very impressive!!!! c'mon ryan you gotta keep on with that supercharger mod bro, you still have others on here that support the possibility of making a mod like this a reality!! -just look at the outcome of that video!!
Old 01-19-04, 12:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Very impressive, would love to know what he'd have done in the 1/4 if he had traction. Does he have a dyno?

I had a similar experience the first (only so far) time I've taken my GS to the track. I had a high stall PI torque converter and factory 17" wheels. Due to the traction conditions on the track, I lit 'em up and smoked my drive wheel nearly half track until I got into third gear, hitting the rev limiter in first and second gear while spinning. It sucked.

Since then I've got LSD, stiffer suspension and much beefier rubber... want to try again.
Old 01-19-04, 12:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

That thing got a Hemi?
Old 01-19-04, 01:11 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, he needs some drag slicks on that beast of a car!
This is good news for the 400 guys
Old 01-19-04, 01:50 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

That spells "TROUBLE" for anything without 2jzgte Oh yeah baby Just might have to keep the V8 with power potential like that. Now only if we had a Dyno, price, and a date!

Philly
Old 01-19-04, 04:05 PM
legendary
Racer

Wow

That is impressive

Old 01-19-04, 05:27 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

ok, that was stupid!! where can i get one??

I'm sure a ________ ( fill in the blank - mustang, corvette, camaro, viper ) driver would be wonderin' WTF was all that about???

i can only imagine what a good turbo set up would be like.... ( drifting off into la la land - dreaming ).
Old 01-21-04, 11:32 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

FUN

But... this video is not an example of how to go down the dragstrip quickly... as seen by the compact truck running away from it.

For those that have never been... the drag strip is full of potential gremlins including, yes, tire spin. If you look closely (stop the video to confirm) this SC is only spinning the drivers side tire... no limited slip. Also, many people do not realize that the water box is for drag tires only and street radials should be kept DRY!!!

The truth is that my LS400 will EASILY spin the one tire all the way through 1st gear. I have never tried going past this point but trust me... I have gone past the point of traction at the track and SPIN city. The smoke is the result of the tire material actually liquifying and evaporating and once that happens the tire becomes LESS grippy. Once a tire starts smoking like this your run is over.

Does anyone have any data about any clean passes this car may have made? Dyno numbers? Underhood pictures? Specs, list of mods? Obviously needs a limited slip differential
Old 01-21-04, 07:20 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

JBrady:

I appreciate your reply. Keep in mind, this thread was not to state, for example, ("Wow!! That is the fastest car I have ever seen!!). It was to state exactly what it was, an awesome burnout!!

Yes, he lost to the truck, and he needs LSD. OK. So what? That was not the point

The point was that there probably has never been any SC400 in history to pull off a burnout like that. That FI is finally becoming a reality for the SC. And that FI definitely will make our cars more fun to drive. I too, with my stock engine and transmission (MV Automatics Stage 1 Shift Kit being installed within the next several days), can burn out in first gear on a wet road all the way to redline, shift to second gear, and spin the tires some more. But, I do not produce any smoke. JBrady, please keep in mind, I have the utmost of respect for your knowledge, and the monumental task you have taken on to build our headers, so, I am not flaming you.

I also believe most of us know that that much heat liquifies the rubber which produces that intense smoke. But, the smoke is the COOOOOOOLLLLL part of it!!

Bottom line is that he needs to work on his traction, and he knows it. I will tell you this much. His torque is up to 740 NM at the wheels. I do not know how to convert that to US measurements. Anybody out there know? I believe he is also running 5 lbs of boost.

Altstadt
Old 01-21-04, 09:39 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

740 Nm = 545 ft-lbs

that's a lot....
Old 01-21-04, 09:51 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Thanks NAZTY:

That is an incredible amount of torque No wonder he had a problem with traction!!

AWESOME

Altstadt

BTW, what is the formula you used for the conversion?

Last edited by SC400T; 01-21-04 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction on the Soare V8/SC400- PROOF!!