Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

running the 2jz-ge with a 7m-gte..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 10:39 PM
billdk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running the 2jz-ge with mk3 supra electronics..

in the next coming weeks i will be attempting to do this.. im going to fit the 7m CPS to the GE head and basically throw the 7m wiring harness on the 2jz-ge as if it were a 7m.. enabling me to have a DIS ignition setup and more advantages as well. anyone ever hear of this being done/forsee any obvious problems im overlooking? please share.

Last edited by billdk; 01-24-04 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 02:07 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

why go backwards?
Old 01-24-04, 05:56 AM
billdk
Driver School Candidate

what's that supposed to mean?
Old 01-24-04, 06:24 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: running the 2jz-ge with a 7m-gte..

Originally posted by billdk
in the next coming weeks i will be attempting to do this.. im going to fit the 7m CPS to the GE head and basically throw the 7m wiring harness on the 2jz-ge as if it were a 7m.. enabling me to have a DIS ignition setup and more advantages as well. anyone ever hear of this being done/forsee any obvious problems im overlooking? please share.
You'll need more than a 7m wiring harness and CPS. How do you control firing the plugs without an ecu that runs wasted spark or direct fire? What are you going to do for coils? What about an igniter? I don't think you've thought this through. What *exacly* are you trying to do?

You're not just going backwards as aliga implies, you're going nowhere.

-scott
Old 01-24-04, 06:26 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

It works seen it done before makes it easier to swap into a 7m.
Old 01-24-04, 06:42 AM
billdk
Driver School Candidate

scott: by saying 7m harness i was implying the COMPLETE harness... so i'm talking about running the 7m coilpacks/ignitor. how is this going nowhere? i HAVE all the parts i need. any thoughts beyond this then?

it seems whenever me or dave henry post anything about this topic people are quick to flame...

Bill de Koning
Old 01-24-04, 06:43 AM
billdk
Driver School Candidate

btw, that means its going to run off the 7M ECU..
Old 01-24-04, 08:58 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Bill,

Sometimes posts lose their intended meaning. Don't take offense. If you read your initial post you mentioned "harness" and nothing else. I can only read what's in the post. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been necessary for you to clarify that "harness" actually meant including "ecu". Does "harness" also mean "coils" and "igniter"? Cut me some slack here; I'm not into mind reading. Plus, you didn't give any reasons *why* you're going to the 7m setup. I also saw your cross post on SF, and it has more detail. I didn't reply there because replying to a cross-post is monotonous.

Additionally, DaveH and I are good friends (even though we haven't ever met), and I don't recall every flaming Dave about anything. You'll have to show me with a post here or on SF where I have flamed him. I'm sure I've corrected him, but never flamed him.

Now that we know *exactly* what you mean; why would you go with an older ecu just to rid yourself of the distributor? For all the work you're putting in, you should get an AEM and call it a day. An AEM will do 10x more than a 7m ecu, and you won't have to pull your wiring harness. Yeah, it's a little pricy, but at the end of the day turbo charging a car costs a lot of money. Just go ahead and make the investment. You won't be sorry you did when you want to add nitrous, meth injection, 2-step rev limiting, etc. Plus, you have complete control over your fuel and timing to say the least.

So, what do you think is the big advantage here? The OEM distributor/coil is really *very* stout. Shoot, you know DaveH ran 10s with a distributor.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 01-24-04 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-24-04, 11:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plus from what i've read the 7m head doesnt flow as well as the GE head, much less the GTE head...

why not get a 1jz-gte head/harness/ecu/ignition, etc and convert the car to a 1.5JZ? you'd actually be going somewhere then
Old 01-24-04, 03:01 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

what's that supposed to mean?
the 7m guys are going 2jz, unless you know something that they have missed out on by upgrading?

Last edited by aliga; 01-24-04 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 04:09 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

I think he wants wants to use the 7m harness, ecu, coils, and igniter on the GE motor, but I still don't understand why.

-scott
Old 01-24-04, 04:37 PM
billdk
Driver School Candidate

i apologize for not being clear in the first post.

anyways, the 7m ignition system is stout, i know the 2jz-ge distrib setup is as well but believe me, the 7m ignition IS an upgrade compared to the 2jz's distrib setup. anyway, this really is just a hold over until i get an AEM. why am i doing this, you ask? the motor is going into an mk3 supra, which already has all the 7m items i need. in other words, this is better than what i had before with running a 7m motor. same engine management (which is NOT subpar) with a stronger motor.
Old 01-24-04, 04:39 PM
billdk
Driver School Candidate

the 7m guys are going 2jz, unless you know something that they have missed out on by upgrading?
so you think the 2jz ECU is the main advantage of the motor swap? i think not.. the advantage is mechanical, the 7m is a dated design with too long of a stroke to be as sturdy as a 2JZ block..
Old 01-24-04, 05:38 PM
billdk
Driver School Candidate

anyways, right now the only issue i can forsee is if the 2jz-GE exhaust cam's distributor drive gear has a different amount of teeth than the 7m's cam does.. this would be a hit or miss issue.. if it does, it would render this whole electronics swap useless!

anyone know the amount of teeth on the 2jz cam?
Old 01-25-04, 05:44 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by billdk
i apologize for not being clear in the first post.

anyways, the 7m ignition system is stout, i know the 2jz-ge distrib setup is as well but believe me, the 7m ignition IS an upgrade compared to the 2jz's distrib setup. anyway, this really is just a hold over until i get an AEM. why am i doing this, you ask? the motor is going into an mk3 supra, which already has all the 7m items i need. in other words, this is better than what i had before with running a 7m motor. same engine management (which is NOT subpar) with a stronger motor.
O.k... *now* we're getting the big picture.

This doesn't answer your question, but the mk3 CPS has 12 teeth that engage the cam distributor gear. I'm sure the number of distributor teeth between the mk3 and mk4 NA exhaust cam are the same.

BTW, where are you going to mount the coils? I thought the 7m-gte had a space over the valve covers.

-scott

P.S. Bill, your enthusiam for this project is refreshening; however, posting duplicate questions on CL and SF probably isn't necessary. The guys who have answers to your questions lurk on both forums. Plus, it'll save you from collecting answers from both web sites.

Quick Reply: running the 2jz-ge with a 7m-gte..