Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Best setup for turbo SC400?
Tiny twins for instant spool but not as thermally efficient
3.45%
Small single for great spool and somewhat thermally efficient
6.03%
Medium twins for good spool, better thermal efficiency, but high cost
37.07%
Medium single with good spool and very efficient
53.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 06:36 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bean
$7500 installed and tuned? or $7500 for the kit?

I can then understand if you toss in like $2k-$2.5k of labor charges in there. Because I dont see where the parts cost adds up to $7500.
Well if single turbo
Custom manifolds routed to single $1200 with coating
Turbo with exhaust side coated - $1000
downpipe and routing $400 with coating, this would be one funky piece due to space.
IC piping - I was planning on all mandrel bent with as few welds as possible but I could go cheap at $400 with real clamps and connectors (includes to IC, from IC, and intake piping)
FMIC $1000 - I could go cheap but I would rather have something decent
oil lines $100
Greddy E-manage $350
injectors $720
FMU $350
Fuel pump $125
Misc bolts and gaskets $200 - real Lexus parts
Misc flanges included in above stuff
wastegate - $300
bov - $250
tranny cooler and fittings - $75
other miscellaneous parts that would be needed $200

compensation for time, shipping costs to receive parts to be bundled, administrative overhead, packaging, etc, etc

One guy already got a turbo setup on his SC400 and it cost him $14k installed.

No offense but if even experienced folks here will be that dirt cheap for something well built then forget it. A kit is not just the sum of the parts as cheap as you can get. I don't want to be another person who throws crap out there on the market that does the job but not well. I would rather make something for myself and keep it to myself. If it is a crap system that people want then they can do it themselves. I would already be at a loss here since it is something that would take hundreds of hours of my time to test and develop to not see anything in return.

To make something and then have every person want a complete breakdown of all parts so they can say, "Well I can get that a buck cheaper" and probably not be a serious buyer anyway and waste more of my time would be the worst scenario. I have no time for that.

You find someone willing to put together a kit for $4500 and get nothing out of all their work and of course I would buy it. But that's why it has never happened. There is a reason.

I can make a supercharger kit for $5250 but then people might have to buy a bunch of stuff to complete the kit like you pretty much have to do with all other turbo kits out there. I was looking for something complete.

Anyways I held back on a CLK55 to work on this and am having second thoughts about why now. What is the price range you folks would be interested in.

Just so you know I am being inquisitive and not upset in any way.

Last edited by Hermosa; 02-06-04 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 07:06 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Well I take one thing back. If I get 100 confirmed buyers then I could probably get the single turbo kit going for around $4995 complete.
Old 02-06-04, 07:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of turbo you looking at in the kit;

$5k is a steal for a SC400 guys when you compare it to a kit for a 2jz-ge which is about the same price.
Old 02-06-04, 08:21 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hermosa, I think you need to get the clk55.

I applaud your effort, I doubt guys will step up to the plate when it is time to purchase.

I have seen it a few times on this board:
- manarays group buy on the ac kit
- you guys can fill in the blanks....
Old 02-11-04, 07:30 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where the hell are you guys planning on getting manifolds made that aren't crap for these prices?!

When I looked at doing a single on an SC400 (which apparently was going to be impossible if I wanted to keep the AC) we were talking about $2000 for manifolds.

I actually was going over prices the other night at work to get an actual functioning setup (twins so I could keep the AC) that I would feel good about having on my car (500+ RWHP on pump gas, 700+ RWHP on 104), and it was $28k in parts alone with NO LABOR, and that is at "good" prices.

Hermosa- I don't know why you would want to invest a lot of time into this honestly, as far as resale goes. Everyone is under the impression that they can get a top notch kit that will be bolt on and 100% reliable and make 400+ RWHP all for under $5000-$6000. They are all under this impression because unlike yourself most of them have never actually tried to put together one of these cars and do it right.

Everyone here will jock you like they would pay for it, and when it came down to crunch time 99% of them would spend the money on a neon underbody kit and a big stereo instead

Not trying to be an *** about it or about what people do with their own cars as that is their business, but you have probably seen the ratio of talkers and doers on this board, and 1 in 100 is probably about right.

-Ethan

Last edited by Ebanks; 02-11-04 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 08:29 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Hermosa- I don't know why you would want to invest a lot of time into this honestly, as far as resale goes. Everyone is under the impression that they can get a top notch kit that will be bolt on and 100% reliable and make 400+ RWHP all for under $5000-$6000. They are all under this impression because unlike yourself most of them have never actually tried to put together one of these cars and do it right.
I gotta agree. Don't get me wrong. I really want some FI for my 400. I'm not trying to discourage you.

We've all seen a lot of these projects that get started then get nixed once people start balking at the price. I think people don't realize that noone will mass produce a kit (which cuts down the price considerably) for the SC400. THIS IS NOT AN INTEGRA. They sell so many kits for the Honda 4 bangers that they can make money on selling a quality kit for $3k. That's why parts are so cheap for those cars and so expensive for ours. The market is not there for mass produced performance parts for the SC400.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 02-11-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 12:53 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

EBanks and VegasSC400 I have read alot of threads and I do respect you guys. ANd Hermosa you helped me out with some questions I had when i first got to the board so i got respect for you also. I also know you guys know your S#!* about FI! But I hate to see when guys start sort of telling somebody not to go ahead with a project because of previous group buys or falling through deals. And we all know that the SC400 does not have alot of aftermarket support so its up to the selected people who own an SC400 to get the ball rolling. Time after time I see someone trying to get FI off the ground, then you always get someone to say its not worth it because everyone will back out at the last second. But it not only the buyers (talkers) who fall through as from some of the previous threads I have read on SC400 FI, it also the people who start the project. Nobody knew the 2jz or all those other motors had potential and they had to get started somewhere? It just takes dedication. And everyone here has never seen any dyno's or any types of numbers for an FI SC4( maybe two, guy in WA and Aussie guy), but everyone knows that the car has potential. SO hermosa go for it and she if you can produce a kit for your 400. if you think it is to risque to mast produce. Get some numbers and then they will come! Later man I hope you go through with this and get the ball rolling finally.

Philly
Old 02-11-04, 02:51 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Don't get me wrong. I think going turbo on the 1UZ is an awesome idea, and I would like to do it someday. If you are doing it for yourself by all means do it. I just think that if you are doing it specifically because you think they will be selling quickly you would probably be leading yourself on.

Good idea for personal satisfaction - Bad idea for a way to make some money.

This is all just my opinion and I have been wrong before

-Ethan
Old 02-11-04, 04:18 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im with Ethan. Basically build the kit for yourself. If they want it, sell it. Otherwise its their loss.
Old 02-11-04, 05:13 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Ethan hit the nail on the head. Anyone who has taken on a FI project for the SC400 as a business has met with nothing but headaches and frustration. Noone can deny that. Hell, Area 51 closed just as it finished the SC400 supercharger. The kiss of death.

On the other hand, I would love to have some sort of forced induction. Please don't take what I said as telling you not to do it.

I think that the right person with the right motivation could make some money on a good quality kit. If it were me I would just do one up and not ask opinions or give status updates. Too many chefs ruin the stew.

I bow out of conversation now.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 02-11-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 08:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone that wants to do a little work could make their own kit if they wanted to
Old 02-12-04, 08:09 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Bean, don't you think a single 60-1 is a little small for 4 liters? On 3 liters, it spools in the 1800-2200rpm range. I think you'd just end up choking off the top end. At a minimum, I'd like to see something like a bigger SP63 with the larger A/R on the exhaust side... Either that or perhaps something like twin SP57s... though those would probably be a little big for an engine limited to around 7k rpm max. Let's just add forged bottom stuff, some crank work, better pistons, double valve springs, ferrea valves, and hotter cams, 8.5k rpm limit, and then go with the twin SP57s.
Old 02-12-04, 08:12 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300T
Either that or perhaps something like twin SP57s...
Not enough space on the car.
Old 05-12-04, 09:44 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by Hermosa
Not enough space on the car.
Ok so any idea where under the car twin turbos would go?

CEO
Old 05-12-04, 10:23 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by THE_CEO
Ok so any idea where under the car twin turbos would go?

CEO
I saw an interesting picture awhile back of a turbo on a V8 camaro. It was mounted back by the differential! Long runs of piping, and probably a HUGE loss in thermal efficiency, but at least it looked like there was lots of room for it, maybe even for twins. Sorry, don't remember where I saw it. If it comes to me, I'll post it up. If somebody really, really, REALLY wants to put a turbo (or two) on a 400, this might be a viable option.

Quick Reply: Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!