Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Best setup for turbo SC400?
Tiny twins for instant spool but not as thermally efficient
3.45%
Small single for great spool and somewhat thermally efficient
6.03%
Medium twins for good spool, better thermal efficiency, but high cost
37.07%
Medium single with good spool and very efficient
53.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 11:13 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by wmulli
I saw an interesting picture awhile back of a turbo on a V8 camaro. It was mounted back by the differential! Long runs of piping, and probably a HUGE loss in thermal efficiency, but at least it looked like there was lots of room for it, maybe even for twins. Sorry, don't remember where I saw it. If it comes to me, I'll post it up. If somebody really, really, REALLY wants to put a turbo (or two) on a 400, this might be a viable option.
Yes that does make sense......im just curious where they will go, a single i can see fitting but a twin would be in question for me...but if i were to personally turbo my car i would go for the twins...so i have to ask where the turbos will fit...hehe

CEO
Old 12-23-04, 06:22 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using Garrett GT40 with Precision .68 Housing.

Last edited by Lextreme; 03-23-05 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-18-05, 08:50 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My set up uses a Garrett GT40 with a Precision .68 AR...

Ryan
Old 01-18-05, 09:22 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

I have a few 76mm Q-trim turbos available to get rid of cheap that'd work perfectly for the 1000 whp SC400!
Old 03-22-05, 07:29 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SC400 turbo

First, you gotta consider how much power you're making, then you can look into a realistic cost of the turbo system and its associated cost. If you're looking to make around 600 hp (either at the crank or wheel), I doubt the stock SC400 engine or its tranny can handle that. I haven't seen any engine can double its 100% hp without rebuilding the engine & tranny including the Supra. Otherwise, it's marginal because who knows if 1 or 2 injectors malfunction while at WOT. It doesn't matter how careful you match and tune the components, detonation can happen. Therefore, forged pistons, rings, maybe forged rods, balancing work, head work, and torque converter...etc are in order. So $7500 of the turbo system won't cover the cost. I haven't done the exact calculation but I believe it'll be at least $12,000 up. However, if 350-400 hp is your goal, then $5,000-$7,500 is enough without touching the engine or the tranny.

For this low boost goal, using twin turbos is the best because it'll spool quick at low rpm for street driving. I believe using 2 T25s with bigger housing is a good choice. Honestly, I haven't used these T25s but I've seen some 4 cylinders Honda guys with them make 210-250 hp easily. In my experience as building turbo system for Hondas, I used one T3 for each 4 cylinders engine with success. A T3 with A/R of .42 & .48 can give me boost as low as 2500 rpm.

To save cost, Ebay is a good source to get some used & cheap turbo. If the turbo is bad, you can have it rebuilt at www.turbocity.com for around $250. Also, if you have sometimes, building the turbo system by yourself is kind of fun. It's not hard but it's tedious.

Last edited by stevechumo; 03-22-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 07:39 PM
2JZfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by stevechumo
First, you gotta consider how much power you're making, then you can look into a realistic cost of the turbo system and its associated cost. If you're looking to make around 600 hp (either at the crank or wheel), I doubt the stock SC400 engine or its tranny can handle that. I haven't seen any engine can double its 100% hp without rebuilding the engine & tranny including the Supra. Otherwise, it's marginal because who knows if 1 or 2 injectors malfunction while at WOT. It doesn't matter how careful you match and tune the components, detonation can happen. Therefore, forged pistons, rings, maybe forged rods, balancing work, head work, and torque converter...etc are in order. So $7500 of the turbo system won't cover the cost. I haven't done the exact calculation but I believe it'll be at least $12,000 up. However, if 350-400 hp is your goal, then $5,000-$7,500 is enough without touching the engine or the tranny.

For this low boost goal, using twin turbos is the best because it'll spool quick at low rpm for street driving. I believe using 2 T25s with bigger housing is a good choice. Honestly, I haven't used these T25s but I've seen some 4 cylinders Honda guys with them make 210-250 hp easily. In my experience as building turbo system for Hondas, I used one T3 for each 4 cylinders engine with success. A T3 with A/R of .42 & .48 can give me boost as low as 2500 rpm.

To save cost, Ebay is a good source to get some used & cheap turbo. If the turbo is bad, you can have it rebuilt at www.turbocity.com for around $250. Also, if you have sometimes, building the turbo system by yourself is kind of fun. It's not hard but it's tedious.
steve, put down the pipe man...

a supra motor will double its factory horsepower all day long without problems... mine makes 640rwhp with 70,000 miles and I run 28psi every day... my buddy makes 802rwhp and has run 9's on his stock 10-year old 2JZ... these are toyota motors we're talking about not mitsu's!!

two T25's would choke the V8... i'd look at a pair of GT30R's if you're looking to go small, and a pair of GT35R's if you're looking to go big...

teeny tiny turbine housings will increase EGT's and backpressure and are actually a good way to hurt your motor...
Old 03-22-05, 07:54 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2JZfan

a supra motor will double its factory horsepower all day long without problems... mine makes 640rwhp with 70,000 miles and I run 28psi every day... my buddy makes 802rwhp and has run 9's on his stock 10-year old 2JZ... these are toyota motors we're talking about not mitsu's!!

two T25's would choke the V8... i'd look at a pair of GT30R's if you're looking to go small, and a pair of GT35R's if you're looking to go big...

teeny tiny turbine housings will increase EGT's and backpressure and are actually a good way to hurt your motor...

Hey hey hey.... Mitsu motors are perfectly fine.... the 4g63's made over 500 whp reliably with a good tune on motors with over 100k+ miles. As for the T25's... Usually those using those on Hondas are those with quite ghetto setups. Sure it may spool fast, but it's also going to die out fast. On a 4.0L, like 2JZfan said, I wouldn't go smaller than twin turbos that flow less than 40-42 lbs a minute and if you are going single, I wouldn't go smaller than a turbo like a 67mm compressor based turbo which flows ~75 lb/min for usable quicker spoolup. Anything bigger than that is up to you and your goals... I still like the idea of a single 76 on a 4.0L though.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 03-22-05 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 08:34 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I gotta agree with 2JZman:

The 4.0 liter can handle alot of power...There are marine apps with that motor producing over 2000 hp. Of course, at that level, you build the internals...But to get to 500 or 600 hp on the car, it will handle it stock. I do not know if the tranny will, but the engine should do just fine. The 1UZ even comes stock with a 6 bolt main...How many engines do you find out there from the factory with that?

The GT30 R is nice, for a TT app, I think the hybrid GT2871R ius a better choice...Dual stainless steel ball bearings, internal wastegates, literally instant spool up... Great low end, great upper end...each turbo will support 400 hp.

A 1UZ would be an absolute monster with this set-up...

Ryan

Old 03-22-05, 08:46 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear-mounted turbo...

One firm that does rear-mounted turbos is Squires in Utah (http://www.ststurbo.com). That's probably where you saw the Camaro photo. They've done the same for the Toyota Tundra and Tacoma. Hermosa and I emailed them a week ago to offer his SC400 for development of a kit. So far, no reply. Stay tuned....
Old 03-22-05, 09:22 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I am not familiar with that type of set up, but, I would think that a rear mount turbo on a front mount engine would not be a very efficient design at all. The distance the hot air has to travel from the engine to the rear could potentially lose alot of heat...that would greatly reduce the thermal efficiency of the turbo resulting in a lot less power. My $.02 worth. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Ryan

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
One firm that does rear-mounted turbos is Squires in Utah (http://www.ststurbo.com). That's probably where you saw the Camaro photo. They've done the same for the Toyota Tundra and Tacoma. Hermosa and I emailed them a week ago to offer his SC400 for development of a kit. So far, no reply. Stay tuned....
Old 03-22-05, 09:59 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400T
I am not familiar with that type of set up, but, I would think that a rear mount turbo on a front mount engine would not be a very efficient design at all. The distance the hot air has to travel from the engine to the rear could potentially lose alot of heat...that would greatly reduce the thermal efficiency of the turbo resulting in a lot less power. My $.02 worth. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Ryan

...and don't forget the 50 feet of intercooler piping.
Old 03-22-05, 11:38 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

SC400T,

Is this Single Turbo 1UZ you are talking about?

I ran 22.3 psi at 3800 rpm on almost stock except gaskets and arp head studs. Daily is 1 bar.

P.S. How do u like my $7 stainless steel home made air filter? I would not buy turbo from ebay. Its cheap and yes cheap is what u get. Buy your turbo from an established company like Precision Turbo and they will back up their products and support. Ebay... once shipped, its all yours.

Last edited by Lextreme; 03-22-05 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 02:55 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

OK, now that I might be wrong about your Supra. But consider this: your turbo 2JZ engine setup is totally different from a N/A SC400 (1UZFE). I believe the Supra's bottom & head are way stronger than the SC400. Also, the stock turbo Supra's compression is 8.5:1 while comparing to the SC400, which is 10.0:1. They're totally day & night for turbocharging. High compression is an engine killer for turbo engine. This is when I mentioned about rebuilding the bottom end. Also, I guess you're having a stick shift and not an auto tranny like the SC400. It's also day & night. In general, I mean rebuilding the engine & the tranny is a must when going high boost with an SC400. For engine building, I'm always on the conservative side because I've blown engines before, but I gained a lot of experiences from them and got successful. With respect to your buddy making 802 rwhp running 9's on his stock 10-year engine, I'd go and find 200 octane fuel to put on my SC and think that I'm doubling its power without turbocharging it.

Have you ever really tried turbocharging a 2.0 Liter engine by using a T25? Double it and you'll get a 4.0 Liter engine with twice its power.
Old 03-23-05, 03:12 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

For this SC400 which is a luxury car, is anyone willing to put away the comfort of the A/C in the car, or the look of the rear lower than the front because of a heavy battery in the trunk ? Or what if you already have a big subwoofer & amps. in the trunk? By putting away those comforts and having a big single turbo on the SC400 engine is hard to install & also is a big sacrifice. I've looked at the engine and I hardly found any room for a big single turbo. Therefore, I'd rather stick with twin turbos either (2) T25s or T3s. Anyway, everyone's goal of making power is different from the others. I'll only aim for around 400 hp so your goal might be different than mine because I don't want to worry much about the gas price will be sky-rocketting. I'll start building it by the end of this year.
Old 03-23-05, 07:14 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

i would say go twin turbo setup. when i got my custom exhaust system and custom cold air intake from weapon r in california the owner himself, Leo, told me that he just recently finished a twin turbo sc400 with 600rwhp. this was about 6months ago. he told me that both turbos were under the car next to the block and if you was to pop open the hood you wouldn't see the turbo itself. he told me that the project was around $10000. and when the owner, a old white rich man, came to pick up the car and went for a test drive he basically did a half a block burn out and eventually blew his tranny. i dont know how leo made 600rwhp but i know that he told me that he can make and program a piggy back ecu for like $800 and he guarantee 30rwhp increase with just only a exhaust and intake system.

Quick Reply: Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!