Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Best setup for turbo SC400?
Tiny twins for instant spool but not as thermally efficient
3.45%
Small single for great spool and somewhat thermally efficient
6.03%
Medium twins for good spool, better thermal efficiency, but high cost
37.07%
Medium single with good spool and very efficient
53.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 07:51 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lower car due to a heavy battery in the trunk? If the weight of the battery even makes the rear sit noticeably lower, that is what coilovers are for... I would think anyone that is adding FI to their SC400, would definitely bone up the suspension...at least a little bit

The T series would work, but the GT series is far better...

Ryan

Originally Posted by stevechumo
For this SC400 which is a luxury car, is anyone willing to put away the comfort of the A/C in the car, or the look of the rear lower than the front because of a heavy battery in the trunk ? Or what if you already have a big subwoofer & amps. in the trunk? By putting away those comforts and having a big single turbo on the SC400 engine is hard to install & also is a big sacrifice. I've looked at the engine and I hardly found any room for a big single turbo. Therefore, I'd rather stick with twin turbos either (2) T25s or T3s. Anyway, everyone's goal of making power is different from the others. I'll only aim for around 400 hp so your goal might be different than mine because I don't want to worry much about the gas price will be sky-rocketting. I'll start building it by the end of this year.
Old 03-23-05, 08:00 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Man, no Dis intended, but, did you really study this out? Your reasons for not doing the project Single are not valid. With a Single, you can definitely keep the AC, and with a Twin, you have to size the down pipes a little smaller, 2.5" each, instead of 3". My TT set up is NOT sacrificing the AC. Putting the battery in the trunk is easy, a good place is where the stock CD changer is now...A GT35R is not much larger than a GT28R, or a GT2871R. The T25's are a little smaller, but not that significant. And making 400 hp on the car is easy...Did you read the TT post that Chrisman put together on CL? He hit 376 Rwhp (well over 400HP at the crank), on pump gas on his TT 1UZ set up, and no problems at all, except for the blades on the hydraulic fan.

Ryan

For this SC400 which is a luxury car, is anyone willing to put away the comfort of the A/C in the car, or the look of the rear lower than the front because of a heavy battery in the trunk ? Or what if you already have a big subwoofer & amps. in the trunk? By putting away those comforts and having a big single turbo on the SC400 engine is hard to install & also is a big sacrifice. I've looked at the engine and I hardly found any room for a big single turbo. Therefore, I'd rather stick with twin turbos either (2) T25s or T3s. Anyway, everyone's goal of making power is different from the others. I'll only aim for around 400 hp so your goal might be different than mine because I don't want to worry much about the gas price will be sky-rocketting. I'll start building it by the end of this year.

Last edited by SC400T; 03-23-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 01:54 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blaznsc4
i would say go twin turbo setup. when i got my custom exhaust system and custom cold air intake from weapon r in california the owner himself, Leo, told me that he just recently finished a twin turbo sc400 with 600rwhp. this was about 6months ago. he told me that both turbos were under the car next to the block and if you was to pop open the hood you wouldn't see the turbo itself. he told me that the project was around $10000. and when the owner, a old white rich man, came to pick up the car and went for a test drive he basically did a half a block burn out and eventually blew his tranny. i dont know how leo made 600rwhp but i know that he told me that he can make and program a piggy back ecu for like $800 and he guarantee 30rwhp increase with just only a exhaust and intake system.
Blowing the tranny is what I'm afraid of. Therefore, I believe making around 400 hp on stock auto tranny is good enough with street reliability in mind. Eventhough someone is making more than 100% on the stock tranny with success, I don't believe it'll last as it was designed for, unless the car isn't revved to its redline everyday. However, strengthening the tranny to take more torque and an additional tranny cooler are possible to handle more power.
Old 03-24-05, 05:36 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I totally agree with you on this point...The auto transmission will need to be strengthened, and a cooler added.

Ryan

Blowing the tranny is what I'm afraid of. Therefore, I believe making around 400 hp on stock auto tranny is good enough with street reliability in mind. Eventhough someone is making more than 100% on the stock tranny with success, I don't believe it'll last as it was designed for, unless the car isn't revved to its redline everyday. However, strengthening the tranny to take more torque and an additional tranny cooler are possible to handle more power.
Old 03-25-05, 03:58 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,

Love your Garrett Twin Ball Bearing GT2871R. I am so jealous.
Old 03-25-05, 04:03 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Thanks, David. I have two of them... Twice the fun...

Can't wait to get them in the car...

Ryan

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Ryan,

Love your Garrett Twin Ball Bearing GT2871R. I am so jealous.

Last edited by SC400T; 03-25-05 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 05:53 PM
psychot|K
Driver School Candidate

Hands down, GT40R. Baddest turbo ever made
Old 03-29-05, 10:56 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blaznsc4
i would say go twin turbo setup. when i got my custom exhaust system and custom cold air intake from weapon r in california the owner himself, Leo, told me that he just recently finished a twin turbo sc400 with 600rwhp. this was about 6months ago. he told me that both turbos were under the car next to the block and if you was to pop open the hood you wouldn't see the turbo itself. he told me that the project was around $10000. and when the owner, a old white rich man, came to pick up the car and went for a test drive he basically did a half a block burn out and eventually blew his tranny. i dont know how leo made 600rwhp but i know that he told me that he can make and program a piggy back ecu for like $800 and he guarantee 30rwhp increase with just only a exhaust and intake system.
If you see Leo again can you have him forward me the wiring diagram for ECU. I was an early buyer of the ECU and Leo tuned it for my car. I sold it to someone but could not find the wiring diagram. I would like to send this info to that person.

The ECU did work well. I did notice a marked improvement. I always wondered though if the ECU was just a repackaged Greddy eManage.
Old 03-30-05, 05:43 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Agreed, it is a bad turbo...But turbos need to matched to the application... There are many bad turbos...

Ryan

Originally Posted by psychot|K
Hands down, GT40R. Baddest turbo ever made
Old 03-31-05, 03:25 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZfan
steve, put down the pipe man...

two T25's would choke the V8... i'd look at a pair of GT30R's if you're looking to go small, and a pair of GT35R's if you're looking to go big...

teeny tiny turbine housings will increase EGT's and backpressure and are actually a good way to hurt your motor...
Check this out: http://www.planetsoarer.com/twinturbo/twinturbo.html. This guy in Australia uses twin T25s and makes about 520 lb/ft of torque. I don't see why it'd choke the the V8 unless I turn it to a F1 engine. As I mentioned about the conservative side of making power, that's my goal.

Last edited by stevechumo; 03-31-05 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-23-05, 12:22 PM
YZFR1
Driver

I have a set of HKS 3037's that i will someday put in the SC400.......... Wonder if there is any way to get a decent set of manifolds? Wonder if Weapon R could send me a kit

Dan
Old 04-24-05, 09:08 AM
psychot|K
Driver School Candidate

Well DUH :P I'm not gonna go research the proper A/R for this guy, I just wanted to mention the series/type of turbo which I thought would have enough capacity to work best on a V8. The exact specs of the turbo is up to the builder of course, but overall I think a GT40R would be the best (WITH THE RIGHT SPEC HOT/COLD SIDE)

Originally Posted by SC400T
Agreed, it is a bad turbo...But turbos need to matched to the application... There are many bad turbos...

Ryan
Old 04-25-05, 02:32 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Check this out: http://www.planetsoarer.com/twinturbo/twinturbo.html. This guy in Australia uses twin T25s and makes about 520 lb/ft of torque. I don't see why it'd choke the the V8 unless I turn it to a F1 engine. As I mentioned about the conservative side of making power, that's my goal.

Quoted from the link you provided...

At the moment I am

running a pair of T25's which deliver great low down torque but tend to run out of

puff at around 5500 rpm
Also 220kw equals about 295hp, seems to be a very large outlay of cash to achieve such small returns.

Last edited by Gamer; 04-25-05 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-25-05, 06:05 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Hey single or twin is up to you and your budget
but deffinatly go bigger because with the 400 you already have the power down low.
Old 06-11-05, 07:17 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by psychot|K
Well DUH :P I'm not gonna go research the proper A/R for this guy, I just wanted to mention the series/type of turbo which I thought would have enough capacity to work best on a V8. The exact specs of the turbo is up to the builder of course, but overall I think a GT40R would be the best (WITH THE RIGHT SPEC HOT/COLD SIDE)

WHen I said bad, I meant Bada$$ turbo...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!