Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Best setup for turbo SC400?
Tiny twins for instant spool but not as thermally efficient
3.45%
Small single for great spool and somewhat thermally efficient
6.03%
Medium twins for good spool, better thermal efficiency, but high cost
37.07%
Medium single with good spool and very efficient
53.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-04, 12:51 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!

Okay, this is for experienced folks here. What do you think is the best turbo to go single on a SC400 and what is best if you go twins? Obviously by going twins you double a good chunk of the cost.

If you have a turbo size in mind please indicate all specs and why.

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-25-04 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 07:17 PM
racing fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think its even possilbe to have a single turbo sc400 without giving up alot of stuff.... but if someone really wanted to go through the effort I'd use a t25 flange twin turbo setup... (same turbos we are using on our 350tt kit) Basically an HKS 2835 dual bb.
Old 01-26-04, 08:10 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by racing fan
I don't think its even possilbe to have a single turbo sc400 without giving up alot of stuff.... but if someone really wanted to go through the effort I'd use a t25 flange twin turbo setup... (same turbos we are using on our 350tt kit) Basically an HKS 2835 dual bb.
Thanks. I am thinking those might be a ltitle big there. The SC400 is kind of unknown territory and going 700-800rwhp right off the bat seems like a huge leap. I am looking to start with a well tuned 350rwhp to start. Also since cost is a major factor twins seems to be less favorable.
Old 01-26-04, 08:49 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Hermosa
Thanks. I am thinking those might be a ltitle big there. The SC400 is kind of unknown territory and going 700-800rwhp right off the bat seems like a huge leap. I am looking to start with a well tuned 350rwhp to start. Also since cost is a major factor twins seems to be less favorable.
Of course you won't have 700rwhp... your not going to run them at 2 bar. They will handle 350rwhp well at 7psi which is perfect for pump on that car considering its cr...

Where the hell are you going to put a single turbo anyways... much less route all the piping...

Has anyone even made a turbo kit while still keeping all the factory functions for the car?
Old 01-27-04, 03:32 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not sure if you did already, you may want to post on lextreme.com, alot of v8 guys over there
Old 01-31-04, 05:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

twin T3s; can get em real cheap... and they would make a whole ton of power on a 4.0L V8
Old 01-31-04, 09:10 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Anyone know the volumetric efficiency of the 1UZ-FE?
Old 02-02-04, 07:02 AM
2JZfan
Rookie

IF you can fit a single turbo, the PT67GTQ .68 would be perfect... it would support over 700rwhp and have full boost by 3000rpms on your V8 (it makes full boost by 4000 on a 3.0L)... If it's not practical to run a single because of packaging restrictions, then something like a pair of GT28s or GT30s would work well... twins will spool quicker, so you can go a bit larger with them without losing anything (except $$!!)... but by all means, if you can possibly make a single work, go that route...

Jeff
InductionMotorsports.com
Old 02-05-04, 09:58 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

What are you folks looking for for power in the SC400?
I personally think the SC400 lacks power down low the most. The high end isn't that bad. I would concentrate on that part of the power band alot.

Are we talking about all out power and speed here or would we want to get a very well rounded car that is fast. To me it would be all about retaining comfort but having some real get up and go as well. Off the line performance gains would be good.

I could put a fast spooling system that would peak lower (relative of course) and be less efficient but would help lower where the car needs the most. Or I could spool up higher and have really strong top end but less low end. The thing farthest from my mind is getting 600rwhp out of the SC400 (well at least at first). Getting any turbo-produced forced induction on the car is quite a milestone in itself. Looks like a kit would be around $7500 since there are basically two of everything. Also fuel management and other cooling factors would be included. The goal is a turn-key turbo application.

Most kits out there lack pieces here and there. Say a $4000 kit that is single turbo. Now add fuel upgrades ($750 on the low end), second manifold, turbo and downpipe($2400), replace the cheap IC and badly made tubing and the crappy hose clamps($1500), then add miscellaneous parts that the "kit" lacks ($300). That's $8750 right there. Ask alot of people here how much their turbo setup really cost. They may say a certain value but have they checked all receipts for misc stuff including shipping, tax, not to mention the wasted time making up for deficiencies in a kit?

My first setup ended costing me:
$6500 Stage II Kit - without intercooler
$1400 Intercooler
$450 for IC piping
$100 in better clamps
$500 in different MAS' to make the car run better
$500 in different fuel pressure regulators to find the right one
$850 in electronics to tune the car and maintain boost
$500 in BOV, intake pieces
$300 in shielding for internals
$350 in gauges
$300 in misc. parts
$3000 in labor to install the parts with tuning
So what looked like $6500 ended up being $14750. Not to mention many months.

Many people on the board can attest to how this stuff creeps up on you and the ones that don't haven't added up all their receipts

Now if you had an all inclusive kit that a mechanic can go from A-Z without having to run to the store and guess what parts might work or worse order it piece by piece as he needs them then you can reduce the labor costs and also get your car back on time. This is especially important for people with only one car.

I am not a skeptic but a realist. Looking at the history of group buys and finding the ratio of talkers versus do'ers is pretty bleak.

The reason I am asking is that being a long time SC owner I have wanted something done but am very picky about alot of things as most on this board have that have been around as long as me or longer. I do not want to burn hundreds of hours getting something done that does not need to be. I already have a beastly SC300 and don't really need a monster SC400. I am exploring all possibilities for the car including centrifugal superchargers, roots(screw) type superchargers, single turbo setups, twin turbo setups, not to mention air/water or air/air intercooling, where the heck I can actually fit the stuff, making something easy to install, and most of all making something that works well with the car so that it meets the most important criteria of being fun.

Now my final questions are:

Would you pay for a quality kit?
Would you nitpick about each part?
Would you see the results and buy it, or would you just talk about getting it?
Is it worth it?
Old 02-05-04, 11:05 PM
djsoarer
Pole Position

hey hermosa ,since your saying you want to explore all possbilties and you are in california why dont you let lextreme test fit his supercharger kit on your car . he said he would start sellin the kit for the sc but he has never installed one on a sc to see what different modifications he will need to make to the ls kit for it to work on our cars. i say that's the best way to go right now since he has already put some r&d into the 1uz and it shouldnt be too much trouble to make it work on our cars . good luck
Old 02-06-04, 05:28 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I am in Arkansas.
Old 02-06-04, 08:13 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

those prices seem pretty accurate for someone who is looking to get ripped off (sc400 prices i mean)

Last edited by Bean; 02-06-04 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-06-04, 12:31 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean
those prices seem pretty accurate for someone who is looking to get ripped off (sc400 prices i mean)
Bean, please elaborate. Why? $7500 is cheap considering it is much more expensive than doing work on a SC300.

Last edited by Hermosa; 02-06-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 12:45 PM
djsoarer
Pole Position

sorry , but I thought you were in cali beacuse that's what it says in your location.
Old 02-06-04, 04:26 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hermosa
Bean, please elaborate. Why? $7500 is cheap considering it is much more expensive than doing work on a SC300.
$7500 installed and tuned? or $7500 for the kit?

I can then understand if you toss in like $2k-$2.5k of labor charges in there. Because I dont see where the parts cost adds up to $7500

Custom manifolds routed to single $750
T04 60-1 hi fi turbo $650
downpipe and routing $250
IC piping $200
testpipe $75
FMIC $750
oil lines $100
S-AFC-II $300
injectors $350
FPR $100
Fuel pump $100
silicone connectors $100
Intake stuff $60
Misc clamps $50
Misc bolts $50
Misc flanges $100
Boost gauge $100
Wideband and gauge $500

I know theres a couple other things; but nothing major; but most things on this list can be gotten for even cheaper if one looks around or if one uses high quality used parts or parts on ebay,etc
parts only here though; no labor; thats why I asked about the $7500

looking at $4.5kish here

Quick Reply: Best turbo(s) for the SC400? Vote!!!