Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 5sp question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 04:11 PM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sc300 5sp question

just got back from test driving a 94 sc300 5sp. There are 3 things im concerned about:

1. the owner said that i have to kick the clutch in hard in order to start the car

2. i had trouble getting it into reverse. owner says i have to push the stick to the right then down, although i do know how to drive a stick. i just found that this particular one is tricky putting into reverse.

3. the shifting is too soft. Maybe its just me, im use to the feel of an integra R.

110k miles. salvaged because of an accident. Driver side door was replaced. No dents.
Engine runs very smooth. $7500

are these issues normal?
is it worth it?
Old 02-10-04, 04:42 PM
2kwiq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing abnormal about the clutch to me...but i've only driven a bimmer before this so i may be just used to a heavier clutch...dunno...

shifter is a little sloppier and don't have the clicks that i have heard when playin around with honda sticks...

if i were you, i'd keep lookin...not cheap to service this car if there is anything wrong...

got my '93 5 speed with clean title and 115k for less than that during the summer...winter time should be a better time to bargain too.
Old 02-10-04, 05:09 PM
kamy587
Driver School Candidate

i think thats theres something wrong with it. maybe the clutch. i have driven a sc300 5spd and it was nothing like what you explained. even if there was no problems the still wouldnt be worth it. it has a salvage title from an accident. that is very very bad, and would probably be worth only $4000--the most. the car was ****ed up and they just put it back together. it cost alot to replace or fix things on sc's, so be careful and think about.
Old 02-10-04, 05:55 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe the wiring is just a bit off. That would explain why you would really need to press the clutch when starting. I know accords (98 for sure) won't start with the clutch engaged, so i guess its the same for the SC.
Old 02-10-04, 09:26 PM
RADSC
Driver

You have to depress clutch all the way to floor to start--my SC, MR2 Turbo, Toyota trucks I have driven.

Reverse is sometimes difficult to get into--experienced this also in my SC, MR2 Turbo and Toyota trucks

The manual transmission is no where close (tight, short throws) to honda s2000, gsr, or sir gearboxes. However I've driven a later 97 SC300 with improved gear box, but not as nice as the above. I'm sure a getrag 6spd would be better than the above.
Old 02-10-04, 09:35 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: sc300 5sp question

Originally posted by slo86
just got back from test driving a 94 sc300 5sp. There are 3 things im concerned about:

1. the owner said that i have to kick the clutch in hard in order to start the car

2. i had trouble getting it into reverse. owner says i have to push the stick to the right then down, although i do know how to drive a stick. i just found that this particular one is tricky putting into reverse.

3. the shifting is too soft. Maybe its just me, im use to the feel of an integra R.

110k miles. salvaged because of an accident. Driver side door was replaced. No dents.
Engine runs very smooth. $7500

are these issues normal?
is it worth it?
1) I've been having probs with this a little lately in my car too. I haven't yet cked it out, but there is a switch/relay down there that keep the car from starting w/out pressing in the clutch

2) reverse is a little tough

3) just you
Old 02-10-04, 09:53 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RADSC
You have to depress clutch all the way to floor to start--my SC, MR2 Turbo, Toyota trucks I have driven.

Reverse is sometimes difficult to get into--experienced this also in my SC, MR2 Turbo and Toyota trucks

The manual transmission is no where close (tight, short throws) to honda s2000, gsr, or sir gearboxes. However I've driven a later 97 SC300 with improved gear box, but not as nice as the above. I'm sure a getrag 6spd would be better than the above.
I've driven a 99' Accord, and it's actually very easy to get into reverse. The guy who was showing me just said throw the shifter to the right, and push it back. It was a 5 speed.

i would never buy a salvaged car for over $5000. IMO that's why salvaged titles don't sell, so you have to take a loos if you would want to sell it.
Old 02-11-04, 12:09 AM
slo86
Pole Position

1) I've been having probs with this a little lately in my car too. I haven't yet cked it out, but there is a switch/relay down there that keep the car from starting w/out pressing in the clutch

how much does this switch relay cost?
does anyone know whats involved in replacing it?
Old 02-11-04, 07:53 AM
jgbnm
Rookie

Default Re: sc300 5sp question

1. It's a heavy clutch but I certainly wouldn't say you have to "kick" it in hard to start the car.

2. Can be sticky to get into reverse sometimes, but not more than any other car I've owned.

3. The integra has a much better manual transmission than the SC.

I woudn't buy it unless you were planning to keep it for a long time (ie. re-sale is not important to you) and you too it to a GOOD mechanic and had it thoroughly checked out (everything, not just obvious stuff). If it all checks out, I still think $7500 is quite a bit too much to pay.

Good luck,
Jon
Old 02-11-04, 11:17 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: sc300 5sp question

Originally posted by jgbnm
1. It's a heavy clutch but I certainly wouldn't say you have to "kick" it in hard to start the car.

2. Can be sticky to get into reverse sometimes, but not more than any other car I've owned.

3. The integra has a much better manual transmission than the SC.

I woudn't buy it unless you were planning to keep it for a long time (ie. re-sale is not important to you) and you too it to a GOOD mechanic and had it thoroughly checked out (everything, not just obvious stuff). If it all checks out, I still think $7500 is quite a bit too much to pay.

Good luck,
Jon
I completely agree with Jon's comments above and draw from my 3 years experience with my 1994 SC300 5-speed ~87k miles that needs no special "how to"explaining to anyone who has ever gotten behind the wheel (four brothers, mom, best friend, au pair). So something is wrong with that trans or clutch, thats not how it works. You don't kick a damn thing in these cars except for putting your foot in the throttle. If mine starts acting like you discribe in the next 25k miles I'll be having it looked into, but I seriously doubt thats going to happen.

What makes the SC300 special to many of us is the existence of the 5-speed as a tranforming element in this machine. A bad or troublesome one would turn me off. As hard as they are to find, you may want to forgo this one or prepare for the unkown expenses in correcting this one. Clutches are not that much, trannys, thats another thing. Keep in mind the na Supra's share identical 5-speed.

Have to wonder what condition the engine is in with this sort of (neglect?) on the transmission. You are not describing common problems here. Be careful.
Old 02-13-04, 07:26 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

mine clutch pedal is super stiff.,.,.,