Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

i have a chance at turboing my sc400

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 01:36 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bean
if one wanted to do it a bit more cheaply as far as manifold setup; they could just make a type of Y-pipe between the two stock manifolds and put a T4 flange on the end (this can be done cheaply or elegantly depending on alot of things)

or even a nice set of headers and joining both of them together too...
Most people don't understand that most of the efficiency (about 80%) of the turbo comes from the exhaust gas HEAT, not the movement of exhaust gases. I know this is not intuitive, but the hot gases EXPAND much faster when they come out of the exhaust port. The farther away from the port you get, the more efficiency (heat) you lose. Hence, putting a turbo on the end of a long header is not optimum, but still may be better than nothing. And for those of you who will inevitably point to the tubular manifolds, those are an intentional compromise between efficiency and low end torque

With that said, it should be obvious that in a V8, twin turbos, mounted close to each exhaust bank would be the ideal. In actuality, a high compression motor won't be able to use all the boost from an efficient turbo setup, so a single turbo at the end of a header might just be more practical than other setups, especially considering the space limitations on the LS.

If you have a guy willing to do it for $4500, JUMP ON IT! Just make sure he's not leading you on to sock you halfway through with "Oh, this is turning out to be harder than I thought, the price just tripled!".

Maybe as an incentive to do it well and keep the price down, you could mention that there are a LOT of people in CL that would be interested in this setup

Keep us posted, and take LOTS of pics
Old 02-20-04, 09:09 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-24-04, 12:12 PM
JSC300
Driver

you definately can TT the sc400...the turbos are mounted under the car by the front axle....
http://www.planetsoarer.com/#Twin%20Turbo%20V8
Old 02-24-04, 08:22 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

according to the shops website- they offer "huge" discounts to owners of cars that are willing to try a new project... this certainly fits into that category, and I believe that this price is authentic. I mean, so the shop breaks even, or even looses a bit of money with this guy- they now are one of the only shops with SC400 TT experience, have the manifold and other part designs figured out, able to find problems and fix them, and will probably be able to either sell kits or at the very least do a few more installs and make some $$$$... I say you do it for the sake of all man kind (atleast all men "who drive an SC" kind!) Go for it, keep us updated, try to get in there and get some pics from time to time, and eventually tell us how sweet it feels to have a 320hp SC4 at your finger tips!!!

If you got the $$$$ I say you should do it- I know if I had the $$$$ I would do it-
Old 02-25-04, 10:09 AM
92lexy400
Driver School Candidate

ran into a snag, someone there told me they were infla, now i talk to mark, and their in Ottawa, thats way to far for me =( i was close, but oh well, ill keep trying!! =)

im talking to him about being sponcored i just got to put a big *** sticker on my car =P , god i hope he sais yes, might take me a while ^_^

Last edited by 92lexy400; 02-25-04 at 10:11 AM.