Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got my new intake manifold fabricated

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 09:38 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wmulli, true, but in Dave's defense it's working pretty well on his, the second quickest NA-T in the country. Wouldn't mind if he came out with a larger DBW T-body....*nudge, wink*

Hermosa, nice man.
Old 02-28-04, 06:48 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
wmulli, true, but in Dave's defense it's working pretty well on his, the second quickest NA-T in the country. Wouldn't mind if he came out with a larger DBW T-body....*nudge, wink*

Hermosa, nice man.
I certainly didn't mean to diss Dave's work. He's a true pioneer and I'm a big fan. I just meant that typically with a big plenum manifold, they go like h3ll on the top end, but the bottom and mid range suffer. While it's a beautiful piece of work, I'd just like to see some performance numbers before I'd consider it for a street car.
Old 02-29-04, 09:30 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by wmulli
I think that depends on how much (if any) improvement you get over stock

It sure looks good, but I'm more interested in seeing some dyno numbers, especially WHERE the gains/losses are in the rpm range.
Okay when I had the Toyomoto kit on, both the pipes to the throttle body and the turbo outlet were right over the exhaust manifold. There was a good amount of heat soak since they were so close together. When I wrapped up the tubing with some heat shielding I got around 30 rwhp just from that. Now if I have the intake side completely on the driver's side which is opposite from the exhaust manifold, remove the EGR tubing and internal obstructions to flow, as well as remove lengths of tubing and bends to the intercooler then I think this will definitely add to the efficiency of the system as well as help spool. Time will tell. The methanol/water injection sound like it's going to be fun also.

Only thing I am missing now is the stereo, wood steering wheel, and HIDs. The car will be complete with all possible mods I want.

Last edited by Hermosa; 03-01-04 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-29-04, 09:44 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, are ya gonna answer my question?
Old 02-29-04, 09:55 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TGRich
Thats a shiny *****!

Now are you in Cali or AR Mike- b/c if you're in AR I want to come see that thing in person!
In the good ole south. I am in Arkansas and about 30 miles north of Fayetteville. The car won't be around until about 4 more weeks pass.

The SC400 project is slow due to being busy at work. I can't complain though since I came back from Cancun today.

Last edited by Hermosa; 02-29-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-29-04, 10:08 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Hermosa
Okay whe I had the Toyomoto on both the pipes to the throttle body and the turbo outlet were right over the manifold. There was a good amount of heat soak on since they were packed so close. When I wrapped up the tubing with some heat shielding I got around 30 rwhp just from that.
That's a real good point about the heat soak. I hadn't even thought of that!
Now if I have the intake side completely on the driver's side which is opposite from the exhaust manifold, remove the EGR tubing and internal obstructions to flow, remove length of tubing and bends to the intercooler then I think this will definitely add to the efficiency of the system as well as help spool. Time will tell.
Yes, I'm sure it will flow more TOTAL air, but funny things happen to the power band with Plenum manifolds (at least that was my experience on carburated cars. Anybody remember carburators??? ) Don't know if the same holds true for FI. That's the whole reason I was curious to see some dyno numbers. I'd really like to see what the powerband looks like.
The methanol/water injection sound like it's going to be fun.
WooHoo!
Only thing I am missing now is the stereo, wood steering wheel, and HIDs. The car will be complete with all possible mods I want.
Old 02-29-04, 10:22 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike,
Do you pass emmissions in CA with the EGR mod?

As for HIDs, I may have my custom set available

Can't wait to see it in Carson.