Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Siezed Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 08:49 PM
zutoo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Siezed Engine

As some of you may know I bought a '92 SC400 with a bad lower end last August. Well I finally got a new engine for it thanks to aliga! Anyway, I had the car towed to my mechanic the other day and we tried to start it (after charging the batttery for an hour) to move it and it wouldn't start. When we moved the car there was a puddle of oil under it. My mechanic said the engine siezed from it sitting, with the cold weather contributing to rotting the seals. Is this possible? Last time the battery had a charge (in August) the car started up no problem. It just knocked liked crazy. I have never heard of an engine siezing just from the car sitting.
Old 02-26-04, 10:00 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Siezed Engine

Originally posted by zutoo
As some of you may know I bought a '92 SC400 with a bad lower end last August. Well I finally got a new engine for it thanks to aliga! Anyway, I had the car towed to my mechanic the other day and we tried to start it (after charging the batttery for an hour) to move it and it wouldn't start. When we moved the car there was a puddle of oil under it. My mechanic said the engine siezed from it sitting, with the cold weather contributing to rotting the seals. Is this possible? Last time the battery had a charge (in August) the car started up no problem. It just knocked liked crazy. I have never heard of an engine siezing just from the car sitting.
I agree with you. I do not think the motor would seize up by just sitting there. Perhaps it may be due to some condensation around the ignition components causing them to corrode since it was sitting so long with bad seals. Did the car even try to turn over? Maybe one of the pistons may have been forced into the valve body; damaging the valve(s). With bad seals, you never really know what could happen. Just my $.02. I may sound like an idiot but...oh well....

Good luck on the motor swap !

LiveSC400

Last edited by livesc400; 02-27-04 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-27-04, 07:13 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff, if you need anything else, let me know.

BTW: Your mechanic seemed pissed off that night. Maybe time to find another mechanic.
Old 02-27-04, 08:14 AM
zutoo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Siezed Engine

Originally posted by livesc400
I agree with you. I do not think the motor would seize up by just sitting there. Perhaps it may be due to some condensation around the ignition components causing them to corrode since it was sitting so long with bad seals. Did the car even try to turn over? Maybe one of the pistons may have been forced into the valve body; damaging the valve(s). With bad seals, you never really know what could happen. Just my $.02. I may sound like an idiot but...oh well....

Good luck on the motor swap !

LiveSC400

The car didn't make a sound... It was as if the battery was dead. Thanks for your input and thanks for the luck. From what I hear its not an easy swap.

Originally posted by aliga
Your mechanic seemed pissed off that night. Maybe time to find another mechanic.
No, he's cool, he was just having a bad day... His shop manager has been out so it's been putting alot more stress on him.

Last edited by zutoo; 02-27-04 at 08:15 AM.