Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP!! timing advance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 05:17 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!! timing advance question/problem

HELP ME!!!

Guys I need some help here. Here is the situation. I have a 1992 SC300 turbo, I have a 93 Maf, 93 ecu, and greddy emanage with all optional harnesses (ignition, injector...) (If you need more info on the setup i have to help better the situation, just let me know, and I'll post it) The Iginition harness is not hooked up. This is because we are unsure of which wire to splice the harness into. So during this process of hooking up the ignition harness, my shop decides to check out my timing. They find that my timing reads 40 degrees advanced.... Now im not the smartest guy when it comes to cars, but I know thats pretty off. They say that they have checked out all the possible reasons that it could be off, but I need your inputs.

Could it be that since I swapped in a 93 ECU and 93 MAF into my 92 car that would cause problems? We are going to swap in the 92 ecu and 92 maf and see if we get the same problem.

So, What else can we check to find out why my timing is sooo far advanced?! How can we fix it, if im not mistaken, being 40 degrees advanced should make the car run like crap, and ping at high boost levels? correct?

Just when i think the car is ready to come out, this happens...

Kevin

Last edited by lexcoupe; 03-04-04 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 08:34 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

What is your base timeing ?.
Old 03-04-04, 09:43 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I think advanced 10... but im not sure, I will find out more tomorrow. shops closed..

Kevin
Old 03-07-04, 08:38 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

could it be that when they put my cams back in they are a little off? is that a possibilty? because the car runs perfectly at 40 degress advanced, and when they try to put it back to around 15 or so it doesnt even run.

Also when they rotate the distributor to see if its off, the car doesnt start either.

So do i have a problem being 40 degrees advanced if the car runs perfect....?

HELP

Kevin
Old 03-11-04, 10:21 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

anyone?
Old 03-12-04, 09:24 PM
PHiZ
Driver School Candidate

Did my post in this thread get deleted? I was talking about static vs dynamic timing... yes/no ?
-PHiZ
Old 03-12-04, 09:44 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How/where did they measure the timing? Was it using a timing light or from the ECU? The timing light is the TRUE measure of where your ignition is and the ECU needs to be synced to this.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-12-04, 11:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah make sure they used a timing light off of cylinder 1

i dont see how you can be 40deg advanced and still run... either they arent measuring it correctly (which wouldnt be suprising) or something got installed wrong like a cam, etc
Old 03-13-04, 09:35 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Put your #1 cynlinder to TDC and the distributor line it up in time. From here you can go ahead advance or retard timing. Tell them to get a lexus service manual.
JPI
Old 03-13-04, 11:10 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the replys guys,

BUT, wmulli, they use the timing light.
Bean, It was measured off of cylinder 1
JPI, Have the manual, and i think they have already done this

I really have no clue whats going on with the timing, We are still looking into whats wrong with it. I hope we can really find out whats wrong with it.

Kevin
Old 03-13-04, 11:42 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexcoupe

I really have no clue whats going on with the timing, We are still looking into whats wrong with it. I hope we can really find out whats wrong with it.

Kevin
If they've done this. I don't think we will hav any problem getting it back to spec. Are these guys familiar with toyota?
JPI
Old 03-13-04, 03:44 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lexcoupe

If they've done this, I don't see how it can be off at all, much less by 40 degrees.

This part of engine tuning is purely mechanical, and it's certainly not rocket science. Like Bean said, get cylinder #1 to TDC on the *power* stroke (all valves closed, look through the spark plug hole to verify), set the distributor to point at the number one spark plug wire, and you're there. Not plus or minus 40 degrees, not plus or minus anything, it will be *dead on* zero degrees. Period. Done. End of statement. Finito.
Setting the timing to where you want from there is where it starts to get interesting

Kevin
Old 03-13-04, 10:24 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I will let them know what they should be doing if they are not doing this already. Ya they are familiar with toyota cars. When I asked them how they can fix it they said that when they turn the timing back, or mess with the distributor, the car wont even start. So maybe they are not changing it all back to TDC. But they are closed tomorrow and monday anyways. But thanks for all the help.

Kevin
Old 03-14-04, 09:14 AM
PHiZ
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I'll post one more time, but I'm convinced my last post got deleted.

Bare with me, this is an example from the Honda world.

We have a "Service Connector" that we jump to flash CELs and to prevent the ECU from advancing timing. This is used when setting the timing. If you do not jumper this connector, it's very common to see 40 degrees advance, under no-load.

I've seen these symptoms before, if I had a Lexus service manual (or car for that matter) I'd try and do some research and see if there was an equivalent procedure when doing timing. Theoretically I would imagine this is conceptually valid for any car with electronically advanced distributor timing...

Best wished getting this sorted.
-PHiZ
Old 03-14-04, 11:30 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

PHiZ....If the have and are using the service manuals, they will see that there is a procedure to do exactly that.

gadgetSC-t

Quick Reply: HELP!! timing advance question