Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

noise with clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-04, 04:07 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise with clutch

theres a low squeeking noise when i press down on the clutch. I dont know if this is a problem but it feels like and sounds like something need wd40. Any ideas. oh yeah the sc300 should have a heavier clutch than lets say a honda rite?!?! lol.
thanks
Old 03-14-04, 04:14 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That kind of noise could be produced by a release bearing saying goodbye. Describe when it begins to make the noise relative to the clutch travel.

George
Old 03-14-04, 04:29 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

omg, i was just going to make post asking the same question! Mine does the exact same thing.

I cant remember exactly when the squeeking starts , I'll make sure to take note of the squeek next I drive.
Old 03-14-04, 04:30 PM
hwallen172
Driver

I've got about 96,000 miles on my clutch, and I had the same squeaking noise when I would depress the clutch as well as a chirping noise from the throwout bearing. I've been planning on getting a new clutch for a while now, but I thought I'd have the transmission lube changed just for grins. I can't explain why, but it improved both problems. The clutch doesn't make that noise anymore, and the chirping noise is not as bad. It was worth the $20.
Old 03-14-04, 04:44 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Well that's certainly worth a try. $20 is chump changed conpared to replacing the release (aka throw out) bearing. That's normally done with the clutch since the tranny need to come down for either repair.

Also while you're at it, you should lubricate the clutch pedal linkage. I'd suggest the spray type white lithium grease or silicone rather that WD-40.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-14-04 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 08:03 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well i replaced my tranny fluid with Redline Synthetic MT90 fluid a few weeks back, and it made a LITTLE bit of a difference in the squeeking, but barely any
Old 03-15-04, 07:23 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

so i should have the transmission lube changed first and then check everything else out i guesss
thanks guys
Old 03-15-04, 06:40 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

You never provided the description I asked for but who's listening anyway.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-15-04 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-15-04, 07:47 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I acquired this squeak a few months ago when me and my buddies dicided to do my clutch in his garage.
Along with the squeak also came a really bad screetch which eventually drove me nuts and I took my car to my trustworthy mechanic to redo the job.
Turns out my friend (dumbass) put on the throw-out bearing wrong and destroyed it completely.
My mechanic installed a new one ($90 from dealer).
For 2 days everything was quiet and I was thrilled.
Then yesterday, it strated quietly squeaking again.
I'm SOOOO pissed.
My mechanic is a nice guy and will do the job again if he has to but I feel bad cuz he already hooked me up on the labor.
I really don't know what's making the sound now.
I'm stopping by tomorrow and we're gonna listen to it with one of those whatever-scopes.

I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 03-15-04, 07:51 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

whoa sorry george didnt mean to offend you lol... I stepped on the clutch today and it didnt make the noise very odd. When I drove it yesterday, the noise was there for like the first minute of driving and has never happened since. dont know what happened. I just bought the car like 2 weeks ago and have only driven it 3 times. must have been on the lot for like 6 months though. is there such a thing as just driving the car a little and the problem will just solve itself?

oh yeah off topic. I just removed the driverside headlight to clean it cuz there wwas condensation inside it but no one has said anything about this one sophisicated looking device inserted next to the projector. its that tube with the air bubble i guess used for leveling. I cant seem to get it out and im too scared to put that and the whol headlight in the oven. suggestions???
thanks

ps i amm sooo sooo soo sooo sorry george