Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

s-afc question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 12:47 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb s-afc question

been searching for a week now and just want some straight answers...
1) will u benefit from the safc with ony the minor bolt ons i.e injen intake/exhaust
2) do u HAVE to get car dynoed for max efficiently. If not, what are u supposed to set it to?
3)quoting DIRECTQL
"I would say try it. It's $309 bucks plus the installation and dyno tuning. S-AFC tunes the air and fuel ratio so this won't give you such a big power increase as the ECU upgrade since ECU does timing, does something simmilar to S-AFC (but not as well as well tuned S-AFC), increases the red line and other stuff."
Was your car stock when you got the +25hp gains and is AGP the one off irving park and used to advertise the fact they have the only dyno facility in the area?
$309 isnt bad at all to get istall and runing. I thought it cost a lot more to get a dyno test. oh well.

anyway, thanks guys for all the info i have gotten in pass weeks. just bought 5 speed sc.. big change from the HONDA sceen lol. Kind of want to meet with some of the other SC 300 owners in the chicago area.
thanks again
charles
Old 03-26-04, 02:50 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: s-afc question

Originally posted by chitwnsazn
been searching for a week now and just want some straight answers...
1) will u benefit from the safc with ony the minor bolt ons i.e injen intake/exhaust
2) do u HAVE to get car dynoed for max efficiently. If not, what are u supposed to set it to?
3)quoting DIRECTQL
"I would say try it. It's $309 bucks plus the installation and dyno tuning. S-AFC tunes the air and fuel ratio so this won't give you such a big power increase as the ECU upgrade since ECU does timing, does something simmilar to S-AFC (but not as well as well tuned S-AFC), increases the red line and other stuff."

Was your car stock when you got the +25hp gains and is AGP the one off irving park and used to advertise the fact they have the only dyno facility in the area?
$309 isnt bad at all to get istall and runing. I thought it cost a lot more to get a dyno test. oh well.

anyway, thanks guys for all the info i have gotten in pass weeks. just bought 5 speed sc.. big change from the HONDA sceen lol. Kind of want to meet with some of the other SC 300 owners in the chicago area.
thanks again
charles
LOL. At the time the S-AFC was 309 dollars. The installation and tuning is extra. Also, I don't recommend APG. They did a good job of tuning but they over charged me for some things. For example they charged me 10 dollars more for the dyno because my car is a rear wheel drive.

Chris
Old 03-26-04, 05:26 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

lol an extra 10 just cuz its rear wheel drive??? haha. so do u remember how much everything cost all together? and would u recommend it for my set up??
thanks
charles
Old 03-27-04, 02:57 AM
SupraBlur
Driver School Candidate

You can benefit from a S-AFC even if your car is completely stock simply because the factory fuel maps are very conservatively rich to compensate for possible adverse conditions, like running crappy fuel, or being in crappy weather.

The only real way to optimize the S-AFC is to first tune it on the dyno, and then monitor the trends of your performance using a pyrometer (a.k.a. EGT gauge) and an a/f gauge would be icing on the cake. I don't recommend tuning it without any such device simply because you can destroy your engine in a big hurry if you run too lean and detonate.

-Ray
Old 03-27-04, 10:35 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

i see.... anyone know the approximate cost of a dyno?
Old 03-27-04, 12:03 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by chitwnsazn
i see.... anyone know the approximate cost of a dyno?
It's not just a dyno, it's actually tuning it. I got my S-AFC installed by Sound Performance in Bloomingdale (www.sound-performance.com). Call them up and ask them about it. They have a dyno now so they can install and tune it.

Chris
Old 03-28-04, 01:29 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok.... tuned, dynoed, and installed,... can we get a scan of the dyno sheet to see what type of gains you got??
Old 03-28-04, 06:14 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by NAZTY97
Ok.... tuned, dynoed, and installed,... can we get a scan of the dyno sheet to see what type of gains you got??
Me? I don't even remember myself what I got. It was like two years ago. I also have no clue where the dyno sheet is.

Chris