Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GAAK Transmission went to pot after fluid change?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 05:17 PM
dinobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAAK Transmission went to pot after fluid change?!?!?

Ok, here's a brief story of what I'm up against.

I have a 1995 SC400 that I bought about 2 years ago with 66k miles. I since just took it in to Scottsdale Lexus for an oil change & a check on where my coolant is leaking from & perhaps a transmission fluid flush. Turns out my water pump is gushing, so I was going to get that done, but they mention the transmission fluid is dirty and should be changed.

I give them the go ahead on the change & mention I'll think about the $900 water pump w/ new timing belt. I'm at 88k miles now, so I thought that'd be a good move.

Well between me thinking about the water pump & calling them back, they change my tranny fluid, wash my baby then test drove it. I called back to give them the go ahead on the water pump, but they mentioned that my transmission is slipping a bit - "it might be normal as their techs are real sensitive to that" They said that I should go test drive it before I go ahead w/ the Water pump.

I go down & give it the once around the block, well the whirrrr slipppp engage around the block & my tranny is barely making it down the road.

The dealer is "looking into it" again w/ the shop foreman, but I was told that I shouldn't be optimistic. They tell me after that it's possible the previous owner(s) haven't changed the fluid & that was the first time. Also that this happens on rare occasion, however they didn't mention that to me before I opted to have it changed out. Of course my old fluid is down the drain.

Do I have any recourse here? I feel like they're f*ing me over but also that I should have been given some notice about a possible problem w/ doing that fluid change. The guy said they don't have any warning signs posted about it at that dealer, however the GM dealer he worked at before did. Where is my Lexus Quality here???

~Jason
Old 04-14-04, 05:20 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I have heard mechanics say that on older cars, its best not to mess with tranny fluid since the metal deposits are helping the gears "grip". Once you swap the fluid you lose the metal particles.

I dont know if I believe it or not, but just offering an idea.
Old 04-14-04, 05:25 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine that a simple flush would make such a dramatic change unless they used Dextron instead of T-IV ATF. They could have gotten confused since the SC300 uses Dextron. I'd insist that they do it again with T-IV while I watched. I did my 96 SC400 at 60K and it smoothed out the shifting noticably.

George
Old 04-14-04, 05:43 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Over the last year I have developed the same tranny problem but it's gotten the worst over the last month. I hit the throttle and it doesn't want to downshift and engage. It just kinda whhhiiirrrrrs. Keep us updated what the actual problem is.
Old 04-14-04, 05:49 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did they just change the fluid, or did they do a power flush? I'm good friends with the master techs (the really good ones) at my local lexus dealership -- I was the IT Director there for nearly two years. Some cars come in with fluid so dirty, it takes two power flushes (I think that's 16 or 24 quarts of T-IV ATF) to clean out the tranny.

A power flush is really the only way to go about it. It removes the old junk that's sitting in the tranny, then replaces it with clean fluid. (ATF has detergents in it -- so it's going to get dirty -- remember that.)

Also, check to make sure the tranny dipstick is reading that you're filled up all the way -- if for some reason it wasn't filled up all the way, you'll obviously slip big time.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

John
Old 04-15-04, 11:08 AM
dinobert
Driver School Candidate

Hey all, thanks for all the replies & info.

The dealer should be attempting another flush (not 100% sure it's a power flush, but I think that's how they do it) today & will get back to me. I've re-stated that I wanted the Toyota T-IV put in there, which they state they used the first time. With luck it will be back to it's smooth shifting. If it's still pooched, I'm going to have Aamco come pick it up and take a look at it. GRRRRR!!!!!

~Jason
Old 04-15-04, 01:20 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dont go to AAMCO, worst move you can make.
Old 04-15-04, 03:41 PM
dinobert
Driver School Candidate

Any suggestions other than Aamco then?
Old 04-15-04, 04:23 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if your tranny is shot, i would suggest going to car-parts.com and looking for a lo mileage replacement, will be cheaper than rebuilding.
Old 04-15-04, 06:34 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Crap, I'm about to have the same thing done. I also have a 95 with 88k on it. I'm getting ready to do the 90k mile service in a month or so. My fluid is dirty and hasn't been changed since 53k. But, if Lexus recommends the fluid to be changed why would such a thing happen because of it?
Old 04-15-04, 07:44 PM
Lvangundy

B.S.

Changing the fluid should have NO negative effects unless they didn't fill it properly or it was leaking out as you drove.

Also! Dexon can be used in the transmission. I know becuase it was put in my car several times with the previous owner. I switched to Type IV and regularly drain/refill the fluid. When I switched, I had a flush done with a few quarts of Type IV.

Around 100K miles, the timing belt is recommended for change. After 120K, mine was developing hairline cracks so I changed it along with the water pump and all that goes with it.

If you MUST do something with the transmission, it will probably be cheaper to find a low mileage used one as others have suggested. Most transmission shops have a general car type rate. I inquired at a place in Santa Monica, CA and they were asking $2,100 for a rebuild.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 04-15-04 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 08:19 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lvangundy
B.S.

Changing the fluid should have NO negative effects unless they didn't fill it properly or it was leaking out as you drove.

Also! Dexon can be used in the transmission. I know becuase it was put in my car several times with the previous owner. I switched to Type IV and regularly drain/refill the fluid. When I switched, I had a flush done with a few quarts of Type IV.
Agreed, EXCEPT for the Drexon -- I'd really stay away from putting plain-jane ATF in there -- it's the same tranny as the Supra TT (different bolt pattern on the flywheel if memory serves) and it's not your typical GM slush box.

Most powerflush machines have a small section of clear tubing where you can see what color the ATF is that's leaving the car.

Mine started dark, and then eventually turned into a nice healthy maroonishy red.

When they do the power flush, they put your car up on a lift a few feet, put it in first, and let it idle. The slow turning actually accomplishes the flushing for you. I had it done nearly a year ago, so I can't give you much more detailed information than that. It was definately nice taking coffee break with the techs every day! Talk about a valuable resource.

Funny story: The new techs would cut their teeth and get into the big leagues by doing a sludge engine -- there was always a RX300 or ES300 in getting a rebuild or a completely new short block for free.

So, the older techs (the two master techs I know specifically) would always play tricks on the new guys -- Crawling underneath the car w/ car cleaner and a lighter... when they start the car, they'd shoot flames. Always got a good reaction.

One of the most best was on an older tech. He knew the games, said he wasn't gonna get had. So, my two buddies set about laying a trap. They did absolutely nothing. The tech drove the car away, took it for a test drive, and brought it back in. While he was out, the other two techs made a trail of engine oil from his bay all the way out the door. This poor tech was wracking his brains -- knew we all were watching him, but assumed it's because we knew something wasn't right....

...he finally clued in when we couldn't hold back our laughter.

Oh gee... all that from a power flush?

Well, good luck bro

JT
Old 04-16-04, 05:28 PM
dinobert
Driver School Candidate

Well the latest update is that they "may" have found the problem & fixed it. I have only spoken to the regular service guy as the manager is out until monday. He isn't positive, but heard it might be fixed. They've given me the loaner '04 rx330 till then at least. Hopefully it's fixed & was something non-long-term-damaging. I'd hate to get it back only to have it crap out in a month.

I was able to locate a transmission out of a '92 w/ 66k miles for $850. This comes shipped w/ a one year parts & labor warranty. Not a bad deal, but hopefully we won't have to consider that road. Thanks for the car-parts.com tip!

Well, we'll see what monday brings, until then my fingers are crossed. Maybe I can get a free Lexus Polo shirt out of my hassle

~Jason
Old 04-20-04, 09:35 AM
dinobert
Driver School Candidate

Aha, this just in!!!

Apparently my transmission fluid was changed before, however it must've been at Joe's house of fish, chips and transmissions. They put in some after market filter w/ a gasket that was riding higher than the stock filter & sucking air - since the dealer only filled it to cover the stock filter.

They replaced my filter, charged me the $65 for it plus one hour labor to diagnose - since it wasn't a Lexus filter.

They claim it's shifting as smooth as a baby's bottom again

Thanks for all your support and info!

~Jason
Old 04-20-04, 09:57 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

glad to hear you got out of it spending only 65 big ones!

A happy ending is always nice.

John

Quick Reply: GAAK Transmission went to pot after fluid change?!?!?