Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

jdm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 11:18 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sc3boost
ok guys so let me clear some little up.
what are the distingtive differences in the two engines.

and SCoupe, are you saying that if i get the jdm and swap the injectors, cams, fuel pump, ecu and the turdo, you mean this will clear up all the jdm and usdm differences.
also if sonething does go wrong with a jdm engine what exactly do you have to get from japan?

and before i forget, is the short block with internals, the head and valves and all that stuff the same with both engines?
i mean it is good to get a usdm engine but it's not easy finding one that does'nt cost an arm and a leg....
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, and you are seeing this the way it is. The 2jz-ge is a "world engine" modified by some external bolt ons that are interchangeable. The short block internals, head, valves same. Filters, gaskets, pulleys, pumps, cooling same, same, same. I am not 100 % comprehensive in this thread (you asked "all...differences"), just trying to get this on the right track. These engines are easily converted and your parts are sourced at the local Toyota store. Though I'd suggest Elmhurst Toyota, a sponsor of the SupraForums, who will give forum members upwards of 30% off list via internet sales.

Also, lets be clear about this nightmare you raised: Not one freaking thing need be specially ordered from Japan after you get your engine unless you are going backwards.

SupraForums and MKIV.com has a ton of info on these engines.

Last edited by SCoupe; 04-18-04 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 04:23 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SCoupe
Also, lets be clear about this nightmare you raised: Not one freaking thing need be specially ordered from Japan after you get your engine unless you are going backwards.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ight=jspec+2jz

I was mixing up the 1JZ & the 2JZ (jspecs)

1JZ-GTE -- not so much fun to swap & find parts for, but capable for tons of HP apperently (guys in japan are running around with 1500HP w/ built internals and whatnot)

2JZ-GTE -- Much easier with simple component changes (listed on this thread and in my link to SupraForums)

Again, sorry about the confusion!

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 04-19-04 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 03:51 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

US Spec... different turbos, injectors, cams and a couple little sensors I think. Also, the US has a MAF and the JDM has a MAP ! The ECUs are therefore different.

There are plenty of people doing it though. I wouldn't sweat it. How often are the little sensors here and there, that are different, going to break? And if you're replacing the loom and ECU anyway, what does it matter that the JDM loom is slightly different to the US? The turbos and injectors are bigger on the US, but I bet you would single it anyway eventually. Then you already have the advantage of no MAF. Just remember that when you install a SAFC or an AEM.
Old 04-19-04, 08:53 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

ok, so in my opinion the jdm is a little better in some aspects.
you can get a better fuel supply
meaner cams
and an aem or some sort of fuel managrment
most people swap the twin turbos for a single anyway, so weather it be usdm or jdm the turbos should'nt matter right..

tell me if i'm on the right track, or if i'm over looking something...................................
thanks for all the help guys
Old 04-19-04, 09:03 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

Originally posted by sc3boost
ok, so in my opinion the jdm is a little better in some aspects.
you can get a better fuel supply
meaner cams
and an aem or some sort of fuel managrment
most people swap the twin turbos for a single anyway, so weather it be usdm or jdm the turbos should'nt matter right..

tell me if i'm on the right track, or if i'm over looking something...................................
thanks for all the help guys
...On the right track, If you are going to go single turbo anyways, you would end up replacing pretty much ALL of the parts that are different from the US spec (if you do cams too). ...Fuel, turbo, AEM EMS would be a plus

-Derek
Old 04-19-04, 11:13 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

ok my mind is made up,
cheap jdm with usdm fuel, cams and turbos.
one last question thou. will the sensors and the harness be a problem, i just thought about that
since the jdm has a map sensor instead of a maf, will it require a little rewireing or will it be a pain in the ***, i mean this is an engine swap, i don't expect it to be easy but i will like to know what to look forward to.
Old 04-19-04, 11:52 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

You shouldnt have to rewire much, if anything at all. ...The map sensor vs MAF sensor wont matter... as long as you have a JDM wiring harness and ECU. If you use the JDM wiring harness it should be an easy and painless install.

PS. If you are going to do Fuel, and turbo, dont upgrade to the US twins.. go turbo and do larger injectors so you can upgrade later. ...and put in some HKS 264 cams

AEM EMS would be good for the fuel tuning

Last edited by lexus_sc400_n20; 04-19-04 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 12:45 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

would i need a jdm engine wireing diagram and a usdm one to figure out the pins or are they all the same. and is'nt one high impedence injectors and the other low?
Old 04-20-04, 06:08 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt/details.htm

check it out -- he has a manual on how to do the swap. He did it with both a US Spec 2JZ and a Jspec 2JZ if my memory serves.

He's got a section in the manual about US VS JDM in his manual too.
Old 04-30-04, 01:19 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

ok one of my friends hooked me p with this guy who told me he'll do a 1jzgte swap for $2000.00.
does he know something i don't, i don't think it's a rip off cause i got him from a reputable friend.
but what do you guys think about getting the el--------- toyota supra TT short block for $2100.00, i was thinking of using this bottom end on my existing engine, this way i would'nt have to swap or rewire everything or worry about jdm parts, and i'll still have a bullitproof engine, then get a turbo and go nuts.
i think this will cost more up front but should pay for itself in the longrun right?