Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

hi board! ack im a noob:[

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 03:47 PM
a monster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up hi board! ack im a noob:[

sup dudes..('')
So ive been driving a 5spd '92 sc300 for about six months, i got a great deal on it and bought it off a buddy for 3k. Tragically, about a month ago I was involved in an accident as a 'pedestrian' (my foot got run-over). Anyway, long story short-
Im going to be getting some extra $ and I want to upgrade my sc.

I am admittedly not a car guy. I work on computers and I know little about the inner workings of an engine. I am learning. After driving a friends s15, I do know that I want my car to go faster and look better. Im not planning on taking it to the track or anything, but I want to get some real performance out of it.

I was hoping to get some advice on anything you feel I might need advising on. I'm doing research on the internet and scavenging through forums, and this board looks like the ultimate resource.

-my budget will hopefully be around 10k for everything. 10k to make a new car.
-Im wondering if a full 2jz-gte swap is hands down the way to go? the car has 130k/mi on it right now?
-if I did swap, what all would I be looking at replacing? recommendations?
-would it be smarter to go with a bigger single? what are the differences?
-what about an LSD?
-how hard is going to be for me to find the newer front end?

I want to have the work done by TitanMS here in Orlando but I need some idea of what options I have before I go in.

I hope that some of you tweakers and tuners out there will be willing to share some precious knowledge with me. Seriously, anything I should know. This is my first car project and right now Im so green its like learning a new language.. thnx guys! happy 4/20!

{after looking through some of the links on this page Ive already learned quite a bit., but any advice is greatly appreciated}

Last edited by a monster; 04-20-04 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 04:41 PM
trbolex
Driver School Candidate

Well Ill try to tackle this with the best of my ability.

First things first whenever you start to modify a vehicle, you need to decide what your goals are with the car. This will give you a basis on what kind of supporting mods you need.

You will need a lot of parts to support the turbo and personally I dont think 10,000 will get you too much turbo wise because of the labor cost involved along with the parts cost and you mentioned a paint job and wheels as well.

If you look at this website they explain the conversion package for an sc300 and it costs 11,000 for installation and dyno tuning. Just do a lot of research and make sure you know what you are doing before you get a huge bill, because stuff adds up quick.

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/sc300_turbo.shtml

Or you could add a turbo to you N/A sc300 motor which parts you would have to replace would include

injectors
fuel pump
exhaust manifold
turbo
intercooler
bov
wastegate
headgasket?-depending on what boost you want to run
engine management
turbo back exahaust
drilling the oil pan for turbo oil feedline
gauges
boost controller
clutch
I probably left some stuff out but that gives you the basic idea

Katie

Last edited by trbolex; 04-20-04 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 07:11 PM
a monster
Driver School Candidate

thnx for the info katie,

i have some extra cash to work with, and new paint is at the bottom of my list, but 11k is too much for me to spend on the engine alone. I'll look into it of course but im sure the price will be similar no matter who's doing it.
So boosting what I have now is probably my best option. I can replace most of the stock parts with supra parts right? would i have to replace anything else soon because of the mileage? I need to read some more..I will be back!

skz
Old 04-20-04, 11:49 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome, you should also check supraforums.com, since they have the same engine, etc as your car.
Old 04-21-04, 12:57 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the search function OWNZZZ me
Old 04-24-04, 12:49 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I'm also located in Orlando near UCF and own a 5 speed sc300. Hit me up on AIM at Rmedalion and I can give you some ideas on what to do to your SC. Right now I have less than 4000 into my car and I have JIC FLTA2s and racing hart CRs in 18X9.5 and 18X8.5 with a 17mm offset. That's $4000 including the price of my car. You just have to find the right deals. I should be boosting within 2 months with a 1jzgte, so just let me know and I'll try to help out.

Peter

*they never had s15s here in the states, myabe you mean a s14 or s13 with a s15 front end? Ken at enjuku has a mildly tuned one with basic mods on his SR, and also a drag s13 that puts out 500rwhp on the stock block