Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering pressure hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 10:31 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering pressure hose

Oops, sorry this is in the wrong section of the forum

Today, as i was pulling out of my spot after getting some gas, i turned the steering wheel to the left, to pull out. As i turned, i heard an unfriendly loud pop, so i decide that i should park on the side and check out what popped. I could hardly turn my steering wheel, so i knew something was wrong. I checked under the hood and i saw power steering fluid all over the underbody of my engine bay. Apparently the bottom hose of the PS system shot off on one end, the high pressure hose i assume, it runs along the radiator kinda. I went home and i reattatched the hose and duct taped it for security, i refilled the PS reservoir and started my car. The stupid hose shot off again. Does anybody know how i should fix this? Should i just clamp the metal sheath that goes over the hose. The hose is in perfect condition, no cracks, I don't know why it shot out of the metal holder.

Last edited by indelible; 04-22-04 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 10:42 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't have much to lose by trying to fix it yourself, but it's a very high-pressure hose and clamping might not be enough- ideally, it should be crimped.

Most shops won't attempt a fix, but there's a few places that rebuild them (one in Tuscon, AZ was mentioned on another thread- try a search).
Old 04-22-04, 10:44 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering pressure hose

Originally posted by indelible
Oops, sorry this is in the wrong section of the forum

Today, as i was pulling out of my spot after getting some gas, i turned the steering wheel to the left, to pull out. As i turned, i heard an unfriendly loud pop, so i decide that i should park on the side and check out what popped. I could hardly turn my steering wheel, so i knew something was wrong. I checked under the hood and i saw power steering fluid all over the underbody of my engine bay. Apparently the bottom hose of the PS system shot off on one end, the high pressure hose i assume, it runs along the radiator kinda. I went home and i reattatched the hose and duct taped it for security, i refilled the PS reservoir and started my car. The stupid hose shot off again. Does anybody know how i should fix this? Should i just clamp the metal sheath that goes over the hose. The hose is in perfect condition, no cracks, I don't know why it shot out of the metal holder.

You shouldn't duct tape it. The only sure way is to secure it with hose clamps on each end. I've never had this hose come off on me(Knock on wood). However, I've had it kink on me due to old age and it forced me to replace it. Haven't had any problems since.
Old 04-22-04, 11:42 PM
claus44
Driver

$320 from carson toyota
Old 04-22-04, 11:59 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

for what? the hose is fine, it just came loose, i'm going to crimp it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 04-23-04, 12:13 AM
claus44
Driver

sorry, my bad, thought yours is 400. I just had that replaced with my ps pump and still can't believe how much it costed me. Sorry for that.

Last edited by claus44; 04-23-04 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-23-04, 03:28 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

it's ok
Old 04-24-04, 11:42 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some pics, I can't get the hose all the way in and it keeps coming back out after i start the car. The goopy white stuff is duct tape residue, and the metal part is all bent cause i tried crimping it to keep the hose in.

Last edited by indelible; 04-24-04 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-24-04, 04:29 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Well, after several failed attempts to keep the hose in the sheath, I quit and headed to my mechanic. He said that i'll need a new hose, hopefully I didn't mess it up by crimping the stupiud sheath. I'll update when my car is done, should be by wednesday.
Old 04-26-04, 03:23 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

My mechanic called a guy and the guy said that I would have to buy all of the hoses ($500+); I can't just buy the high pressure hose. Does anybody know if i can get the single hose any where? I've checked several junkyards and nobody has any SCs . I found the high pressure hose on parts.com, one place has it for $381, they also have a high pressure hose for a Supra for $240. Do you guys know if the Supra hose fits the SC?
Old 04-26-04, 10:42 PM
claus44
Driver

Give Collin(parts dept.) @ Carson Toyota a call, Boddy is too busy most of the time

310-522-2300

I was quoted for 433.38 for that hose by others, and carson sold it to me for $320 + Tax.(sc4 model) It really looks like all you need is the high pressure hose, don't pay for the whole package.
Old 04-28-04, 08:15 PM
ajs14
Driver

I had to replace that hose recently. It costed me about $491 from Cerritos Lexus. I went to Puente Hills Toyota thinking I'd save money. It turns out that the part looks exactly the same with the exception of a small piece at the end of it. Now I find that Toyota did not stock that part, that it only fits the ES300. I had to return it paying the restocking fee. The hose had tiny cracks in it and I could not just buy the rubber hose. It $ucked.
Old 05-06-04, 01:43 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it's done. I took my car in on Monday and he was done on Thursday. He got a replacement for $200, he gave me the hose at his price, and he charged me $95 for labor so total came out to be about $300. Anybody know why a hose costs so much?