Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Towing your sc300/400 behind a moving truck question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 01:19 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing your sc300/400 behind a moving truck question

As most of you know, I'm moving from OK to CA here in a week. I was going to get the two axle trailer to tow my car behind the moving truck. This way none of my car's wheels would be on the ground. But, I can save $150 (and money's an issue) by going with the tow dolley where your rear wheels roll on the ground. The only thing is, with this method, it says you must disconnect the drive shaft- not something I really want to do. Is this necessary (and why). I thought if you just put the 5 speed into neutral, it would be good enough. The only bad thing I see about not disconnecting the drive shaft is you might get some wear on the driveshaft that you wouldn't have had before, but who cares since it's not any worse than driving it?
Insight?
Old 05-13-04, 01:52 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you may damage your exhaust, etc by scraping since the car will be at an angle.

im assuming your tranny will still be spinning(creating heat) without any fluid.

Last edited by aliga; 05-13-04 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 03:12 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by aliga
im assuming your tranny will still be spinning(creating heat) without any fluid.
Bingo. That's your concern right there Tim. The SC is a rear wheel drive vehicle so towing it with the rear wheels spinning while the transmission isn't actually engaged can cause significant damage. If you can stomach the $150 then just bite the bullet, and I'll buy you a beer when you get here I still wanna check out your flex-a-lites....

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-13-04 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 04:16 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

So even in neutral, the tranny would still be moving? This sucks. I would just disconnect the drive shaft, but I plan on spending an extra day in AZ by unloading the car and driving down to the grand canyon.
Old 05-13-04, 04:26 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

T,

We're losing you to OK?? Damn man!! I was supposed to be moving to Oceanside (San Diego) on July 01 but unfortunately that fell through. I will be moving there sometime though so we can meet up for a beer - unless u r going to make it to Tulsa anytime soon!!

Peace man and good luck with the travels,

Jonny
Drinkdontdrive@aol.com
Old 05-13-04, 04:33 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Hey man, if there's anyway you can do it still- do it! I'm leaving next Friday, but I still have time to get a bigger moving truck. That way we would both save money on moving costs by splitting it.
Come on- live on the wild side and just say screw everything, I'm moving in 8 days
Old 05-13-04, 05:31 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

If I didn't have an 11 month old son - I would jump at the chance!!

Peace,

Jonny
Drinkdontdrive@aol.com
Old 05-13-04, 06:01 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Can you mods get any more "move happy"? Brian, I know you're bored, but......

Old 05-14-04, 07:24 AM
hwallen172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the issue with spinning the rear wheels without the motor running was only for automatic transmissions that require cooling. With a manual transmission in neutral, you're just turning the tailshaft (that may not be the right term) via the differential. It's lubricated with the transmission oil and doesn't require cooling under normal operation. I'm not an expert in this area, and the $150 difference may be worth the possible damage or wear and tear on your car. Plus, the trailer will probably handle better than the car on a dolly and if that keeps you out of trouble on the road, it's definitely worth $150.
Old 05-14-04, 02:55 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Can anyone confirm for me? I would like to know how the transmission would be damaged by towing with the rear wheels on the ground if you leave it in neutral.
Old 05-16-04, 04:16 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Anyone? I'm moving in just a few days....
Old 05-16-04, 04:35 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

The 5 speed may have no problem, but for $150, why risk it?

Remember murphy's law on this one bro -- It's better to spend the extra $150 and have it turn out that it would have been fine on two than to not spend the 150 and be kicking yourself for some freak accident like hitting a hard bump. Another thing to consider, what happens if someone rear ending your car? They'd miss the bumper because of the angle I'm guessing, and catch all those body panels instead -- not good.

Also, your ground clearance may suffer, and that could really suck if you end up nailing some road kill with your rear diff... or worse yet, something not as soft as road kill.

Putting your car up on a trailer would mean other things as well -- you could put a car cover on it so it wouldn't get rock chips from the drive -- odds are that your truck will spit them up pretty good.

With all the possible risks, I think not using a trailer is cutting a corner a little too much.

But that's just my .02 on 150.00

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 05-16-04 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 04:41 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

All good points and now that I think about it, I'm going to call and get the other trailer instead. Hopefully I wont have a prob with rock chips, I don't have a car cover.
Old 05-16-04, 05:03 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're worried about paint chips, try some painters masking tape. Bluelex used some for a recent trip of his. It comes in different colors...

Old 05-16-04, 06:07 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Dang! He didn't hold back, did he!? Thanks for the good tip man!

Quick Reply: Towing your sc300/400 behind a moving truck question