Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 05:15 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission Flush?

Guys,

I am wanting to get my tranny flushed - is there anything in particular I should know before hand? Should I use a special fluid or will any work?

Thx,

Jonny
Old 06-06-04, 05:20 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the one thing you should know is you need to use the specific oil type made for your transmission from lexus/toyota. if you dont you can run into issues as people have had in the past. i suggest a normal tranny flush from your dealership unless you feel like doing it yourself but always use the fluid suggested by the manufacturer.
Old 06-06-04, 06:05 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

VIP,

Thx for the advice man.

By chance do u know what the stealer charges for such a service??

Thx,

Jonny
Old 06-06-04, 07:47 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you search for it, you'll find past posts on this topic.

I've read around $200 for a power flush. Replacing 8 Quarts of T-IV ATF isn't cheap.

Don't take it to jiffy lube or something like that, you need genuine Toyota T-IV ATF, not the Dextron crap -- dextron will mess up your tranny.

John
Old 06-07-04, 08:09 AM
W4SIM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dx3

Be careful mate. Im not sure about the states but here in the UK even the Toyota/Lexus dealers will give you Dextron, saying thats whats recommended. You MUST INSIST that they give you the Toyota Type-4.

When i ordered mine the dealer gave me the Dextron stuff and then refused to take it back when i pointed out the mistake. Its expensive stuff so make sure its the right stuff.
Old 06-07-04, 09:41 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

i dont think our auto trannies use type IV fluid do they? Check the dipstick before any assumptions are made. It should say either on the cap or the stick itself. I know the supra TT auto trannies use type IV fluid but when i had my auto NA supra, dextron III was fine.
Old 06-07-04, 09:46 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Just got mine replaced @ the dealership here in Italy, and man what a diference it makes . I never thought my car could ride so smooth. I have a 92 SC4 and It is just about to reach 60,000 miles so it is time to replace things. So I took it to the dealer and flushed with type IV ( I brought it there myself ) and changed the differential fluid with royal purple synthetic gear oil, And now my girl rides so smooth. Its a must if your car rides rough, not rough but not smooth ;like a Lexus should be. I also had them change the transmission filter while they were at it. I know that its the first time that the fluid has been changed. Cost me 90 euros ($100 dollars) to get it done. Do it

Philly
Old 06-07-04, 10:23 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auto transmission requires Toyota Type T-IV. If you look at the dipstick of older models it actually says use Type II, but that's Toyota Type T-II, not dexron II. Back then that was the most up to date Toyota ATF at the time. Type T-IV is now the most current ATF. I recently did the flush and it does make a huge difference in the way the car drives and my old fluid wasn't even that bad. I paid $50 to my local mechanic and the fluid cost me $3.78/qt at a local Toyota dealer. Buy it from Toyota and not Lexus. Lexus will charge you twice as much for the same stuff.
Old 06-07-04, 02:20 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by rscott
i dont think our auto trannies use type IV fluid do they? Check the dipstick before any assumptions are made. It should say either on the cap or the stick itself. I know the supra TT auto trannies use type IV fluid but when i had my auto NA supra, dextron III was fine.

the SC300 and N/A MKIV have the same tranny

the SC400 has a different one, almost identical to the MKIV TT just has a different bolt pattern
Old 06-07-04, 04:19 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
the SC300 and N/A MKIV have the same tranny

the SC400 has a different one, almost identical to the MKIV TT just has a different bolt pattern
Good point. I should've specified that I have a SC400 auto. My bad.
Old 06-07-04, 10:36 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by jeremyp111
Good point. I should've specified that I have a SC400 auto. My bad.

ummmm....just to let you know that all sc4's were auto...so we kinda assumed so.

CEO
Old 06-08-04, 12:05 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

ah i didnt know it was an sc4.
Old 06-09-04, 12:27 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I asked my local lexus place if they do a power flush on SC400s and they said no. They also said there's no need to replace the tranny filter. On top of that, they wanted over $50 just to drain and refill!!! I can do that in my driveway!!!!! But, it's been about 35k since my tranny has been serviced, so I need to find an alternative soon. . .
Old 06-09-04, 12:47 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by THE_CEO
ummmm....just to let you know that all sc4's were auto...so we kinda assumed so.

CEO
I was merely clarifying that I have an SC400 because I stated earlier that the tranny requires Toyota Type T-IV fluid, (unlike the SC300s).
Old 06-09-04, 12:48 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by sweetsc400
I asked my local lexus place if they do a power flush on SC400s and they said no. They also said there's no need to replace the tranny filter. On top of that, they wanted over $50 just to drain and refill!!! I can do that in my driveway!!!!! But, it's been about 35k since my tranny has been serviced, so I need to find an alternative soon. . .
A power flush is highly recommended because it will get out most of the old fluid. A drain and fill will leave more than half of the old fluid in there. What good is that? Try calling a local Toyota dealer. They'll be cheaper as well.

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush?