Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boostlogic feed back

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 12:09 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boostlogic feed back

Sup guy's? Due to our great nations tax system, I now can afford a turbo kit for my SC. I bought a condo and wasn't sure if I could do it, but now I can. I've looked @ all the availible kits and have fallen in love with the BoostLogic turbo kit. I plan on purchasing the Boostlogic kit with the T-76 GTS, and the Fuel upgrade. I know no kit is perfect and it has flaws, but i just want some feed back on this kit to see how it runs and if it's a good quality kit. Positive and negative feedback is wanted. Thanks guys.

Last edited by SinisterSC; 06-13-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 12:16 PM
KOdoubleUR
Rookie

Go to supraforums.....boost logic has their own section there with some good feedback.
Old 06-13-04, 12:23 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

sweet forgot about supra forums
Old 06-13-04, 12:26 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the little alarm bells were going off in my head when you said T76 GTS.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...light=76+surge

apperently the T76 isn't the best choice, it has a tendency to surge.

And boost logic makes good stuff... checkout the NA-T FAQ on SupraForums under NA

EDIT: If you're running a turbo that large, your stock tranny, be it an auto or a manual isn't going to hold. Do you have a 5 speed or AT?

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 06-13-04 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 12:44 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

I have a 5spd, but I'm swappin to the 6
Old 06-13-04, 12:47 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

...how much are you expecting to spend on all this?

(personally, I'd do a T72 -- it's smaller and will boost quicker)
Old 06-13-04, 04:21 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

What HP will the T72 flow? I'll be running the MVIV pistons, rods and crank. and am looking for a somewhere between 500-600 hp. I really don't care how much it cost. I just need a new project car. No one likes to drive around in an N/A car.
Old 06-13-04, 05:22 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

http://moreboost.org/turbos.htm

http://moreboost.org/turbo_detail.htm#T72

max flow ~95 lb/min ~= 877rwhp @ 30+psi

yeah, it should keep you out of trouble.

search supra forums... they're the source for turbo info.

John
Old 06-13-04, 05:31 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Thanx man. I greatly appreciate the help. This thread is done.
Old 06-14-04, 06:13 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

as long as your compression is okay in terms of the health of your pistons and rings, swapping in the gte pistons, rods and crank would be just extra hassle. I believe, and correct me if im wrong, that the crank and rods are identical but the gte pistons are lower compression. All you would need to get into the accepted high boost range would be a thicker metal headgasket. DaveH hit 9s stock motor with a different headgasket. I think you should be able to hit 500-600rwhp just fine with a stock bottom end as long as youre TUNED CORRECTLY. I cant stress that point enough. Once you go lean, something is going to melt/break.

regarding the turbo kit, i dont know of anyone that has the NA-T kit here or on supraforums. Its been a crowd pleaser with the TT crowd. Have to admit, it is real pretty. I almost went NA-T and i would have gone with that kit if i had the cash but i ran into a little pinch so it didnt happen, but that is on top of my list.

That 76 is pretty large. Expect large amounts of lag. Also, surging will kill the turbo real quick so if you do go with it, be ready to pay for a new one once you start getting shaft play. I think the T66 would be the best choice, but thats just my opinion. It really depends on what youre looking for/how your driving style is. I think even the 72 would be too large for my own personal driving style, but to each his own. For your goals, the T66 would probably be the better choice.
If youre looking for track times, based on what ive seen in the supra community, it doesnt matter how big your turbo is, its how well you drive. Theres hundreds of moderately sized single turbo guys running 12s and 13s while my friends BPU+ stock twin car is runing 11s.
If youre looking for big dyno numbers, go ahead and go with the biggest turbo you can find, but dont be surprised when youre boost doesnt kick in until not too long before redline.

Also, youre 5speed is going to exploide on the site of the turbo
the 6speed will smile at it =)

ps...missed the "this thread is done" comment but i already typed this all out
hope someone finds it useful
Old 06-14-04, 12:11 PM
Verge
Rookie

6 speed swap, 5k turbokit.. 2k fuel system...

dude, why not just swap in a GTE... even with the 9k above you still aren't done, you'll need to lower your compression and possibly build your internals, and their fuel system doesn't even come with a way to control it... you'll need vpc or AEM EMS which runs a cool 1,300 bucks more... what's the point

just swap in a GTE
Old 06-14-04, 02:05 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

GTE engine 3K
6 Speed: 3-5K (used vs new)
(plus fuel system, wiring harness, ECU)

Amount of HP: 450 w/ free mods. Cost: about the same.

Want to go single? More money.

The 2JZ-GTE swap is a more complete buildup for massive amounts of HP... but it's by no means cheaper. Boost is expensive.

I'd prefer a GTE swap just because I hate the way the intake & TB is laid out on the 2JZ-GE (that's wasted HP, especially when you're boosted) of course it can be overcome using a DaveH intake manifold...

as you can see, there's two sides to it. Go over the the NA section on Supra Forums. Some people are having problems w/ the NA-T swap, other's aren't. It's all about what your goals are.

Want 800 HP? well, build the GE or put a built GTE in.

It's one huge flip flop. As you can tell, I can argue either way.

just my .02

JT
Old 06-14-04, 02:42 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

brand new wiring harness = close to $1000
also, you have to weigh in the JDM vs USDM
the jdm motors cost less but have smaller injectors, less aggressive cams, and have a harness that can be a PITA to lengthen to get to the ecu mounted in the same place. Also factor in the fact that there is a whole lot of wiring that needs to be done to get misc things to work like the tach. Building the bottom end is superfluous considering he is looking for 500-600 rwhp. Thats just throwing away extra money.

What youre looking at is the turbo kit from intake to exhaust, fuel, vpc/safc combo, tranny (+custom DS and 6speed rear) and tuning. If you swap in a JDM 6speed and motor, youre looking at the same stuff + single turbo to get to the upper end of your goals. Either way is going to be expensive, its just what you make of it and how good you shop for parts.

A cheaper route you might consider for the tranny is the R154. It was the 5 speed out of the mkiii turbo supra and the TT soarer. It can be had out of a soarer with DS and rear end for much cheaper than the getrag 6speed. Its just a matter of finding one out of a soarer with the right shifter assembly.
Old 06-14-04, 08:39 PM
Verge
Rookie

if you look around, you can find a GTE+6speed for 5k... sometimes less... just gotta keep your eyes open... heck, that's the same price as the turbokit ALONE... i was just throwing something out there for him...