Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What does a kick-down switch do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 09:26 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What does a kick-down switch do?

I'm trying to figure out what the kickdown switch does. Aparently early SCs had one but in like 95 or 96 it was removed.

Chris
Old 06-14-04, 06:49 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

From my understanding the kick-down switch forced the transmission downshift an additional gear.
Old 06-14-04, 12:01 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where is the kick down switch?
Old 06-14-04, 04:56 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by ChrisK
Chris,

From my understanding the kick-down switch forced the transmission downshift an additional gear.
Chris,

Do you have one on your car? I got a kickdown switch from a '94 Toyota Supra TT. It fits right in but I am not sure if it's installed right. I have to floor the gas pedal to hit the kickdown switch.

Chris P.
Old 06-14-04, 04:58 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by VSsc400
where is the kick down switch?
Right under the gas pedal. The SCs without one (like my '97) should have a plastic filler plate in place of it because the transmission doesn't need one. I have Supra TT transmission which requires one.

Chris
Old 06-15-04, 06:10 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Chris,

Do you have one on your car? I got a kickdown switch from a '94 Toyota Supra TT. It fits right in but I am not sure if it's installed right. I have to floor the gas pedal to hit the kickdown switch.
I don't have one. I also have a plastic filler plate. I believe yours is installed properly. You only should hit it when flooring the gas pedal.
Old 06-19-04, 06:35 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

My '94 SC400 has one. I didn't realize what it was at first, but could feel it when I'd floor the gas. One day I took a gander beneath the pedals and saw it. I figured it did just what ChrisK stated, dropped the tranny down a gear. As far as whether yours is installed properly, I notice that after the switch is depressed and the tranny shifts, the switch seems to rise back up slightly. That's what I noticed which caused me to investigate. It's kind of a strange feeling, but it seems to force the pedal back up a bit. Hope that helps.

Last edited by P.Williams; 06-19-04 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-19-04, 09:44 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Default Kick-down switch mods

Hmmm....Now you've got me thinking. If the kick-down switch under the gas pedal tells the auto tranny to drop down a gear, would it be possible to splice into the wiring and place an additional switch on the dash/console/steering wheel? My SC400 is the only car I've owned that wasn't a manual. I thought I'd never buy a car with an automatic. Luckily, the V8 has enough grunt to make it liveable. However, I still get a bit frustrated trying to power out of corners and not be in the right gear. If I could get it to down shift without having to floor the gas pedal, I might be a bit more satisfied. Also, do the later cars without the kick-down switch still have the wiring for the switch? If so, owners of later cars may be able to rig up a switch of this sort. Does anyone know why Lexus got rid of it?
Old 06-20-04, 10:42 AM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Kick-down switch mods

Originally posted by P.Williams
Hmmm....Now you've got me thinking. If the kick-down switch under the gas pedal tells the auto tranny to drop down a gear, would it be possible to splice into the wiring and place an additional switch on the dash/console/steering wheel? My SC400 is the only car I've owned that wasn't a manual. I thought I'd never buy a car with an automatic. Luckily, the V8 has enough grunt to make it liveable. However, I still get a bit frustrated trying to power out of corners and not be in the right gear. If I could get it to down shift without having to floor the gas pedal, I might be a bit more satisfied. Also, do the later cars without the kick-down switch still have the wiring for the switch? If so, owners of later cars may be able to rig up a switch of this sort. Does anyone know why Lexus got rid of it?
Hey,

The kickdown switch is a simple on/off switch. That means there is a wire going in and a wire going out. It should be possible to relocate it. The newer that don't have the switch do not have the wires so you run them yourself. Then again, why would you run them if the ECU can't regulate it.

Chris