Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tried/Failed Search for: The TRD Performance Panel Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 08:55 PM
neagan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried/Failed Search for: The TRD Performance Panel Air Filter

I just tried to do a search for the TRD Performance Panel Air Filter (part # 00602-17801-002) that is supposed to almost DOUBLE the airflow when combined with the BFI Australian Intake. It gave me "no matches".

Was wanting to find out exactly what it was and where to get it/Price/etc...

Do I have to build my own cold air box like the BFI, or can I purchase premade parts someplace? Nitro-Nicky
Old 06-14-04, 09:48 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a lot of differing opinions on this, but Aussie Pete says that his BFI with stock filter gives more air than his engine needs, so there is no benefit to adding a TRD filter if you do the BFI. The TRD filter will be noisier, too.

But if you gotta have one and can't score the TRD, K&N makes a similar (oil-soaked cotton sandwitched between metal screens) hi-flow filter for about $50.
Old 06-14-04, 11:10 PM
neagan
Rookie

Default TRD Performance Panel issue

....So it's just a cotton type of filter only, like the K&N? I put a K/N in my Tacoma airbox and installed the famous 'Deck-Plate' mod off the front of the box and it woke that V-6 right up, expecially on hills or pulling a load. I'll have to see if I can find those metal egg cups here and have them chromed. What I liked about the Deck-Plate was that you could close it off if you were driving in stormy weather or for a California smog check visual. Nitro
Old 06-14-04, 11:15 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

I've not seen the TRD, but there's only so many filter designs out there- paper, cotton and/or foam. Since the stock is paper, I am assuming the TRD is cotton, with maybe a foam "pre-filter".

This is the first I have heard of the "deck plate" mod- got any pics, or a link?
Old 06-14-04, 11:52 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Tried/Failed Search for: The TRD Performance Panel Air Filter

Originally posted by neagan

Was wanting to find out exactly what it was and where to get it/Price/etc..
You might want to try Carson Toyota...
Steve had a GB while back in December...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=103564
Old 06-15-04, 12:12 AM
neagan
Rookie

Default The Deck Plate Modification

This is an air box modification that originated on the Toyota 'Tacoma Territory' site. Basically, a deck plate is what is used primarily on sailing boats. It's a round plastic item that unscrews so you can pass items from on deck into the cabin below. Best size is approx 4". Cost's about $8 bucks and you can paint it to match your car, engine, or...... If you go to their site, they've got a special Forum area for it, plus dyno figures.... I just sold mine, so don't have any picture availability. Nitro
Old 06-15-04, 01:06 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Neagan,

The BFI mod is simply an enlarged airbox, so putting a TRD air filter in their would help the engine breathe better. I've got a BFI on mine, very simple to make (basically just cut a hole in the factory airbox and remove all the unnecessary parts), I'm going to put in a duct once my GReddy V-SPL FMIC gets fitted, essentially making a ram air feed for the factory airbox.

Jose
Old 06-15-04, 10:05 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default deck plates

OK- I found a web page that mentions using deck plates, in this case, a 4Runner:
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/deckplate.html
Below is a photo from the site. That's not a bad idea for our cars, IF there was a flat area on the front of the air box large enough to accomodate the 4.5" cut out. But I just took a good look, and there's not. The only area close to being considered flat is 4" x 3.5".

It's a good thought, though- I like the idea of making the BFI reversable. I sure wish we had the same airbox the 4Runner uses. I am jealous!

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-15-04 at 10:20 AM.