Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

n00b: FAQ for gtte swap in SC300???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 11:35 AM
2jzSC?
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b: FAQ for gtte swap in SC300???

ok...first off...i'm a honda guy. have been for 6 years with good results. right now i have an 11 sec N/A street car...that's my daily driver. I have a magizene shoot coming up in HCI for my engine build sometime soon...and after that, i'm selling the car.

i've decided to go with a 92 SC300 auto, and swap in a single'd gtte. I've driven a couple supras owned by my friend Brad (Mayo) and fell in love when i drove his t78/TH350 one...and want to duplicate that in an SC300. But, i don't know much of the swap...nore much of the car itself.

I'm ase certified, and have mechanical knowledge and tools on hand...so that aspect is no problem. i aslo have a DAMN good wiring guy and a DAMN good tuner...so those aspects are also coverd.

all i need to know....what all is involved?: is there a FAQ i can read somewhere? are there any pics of a step by step process? and where to get a good 2jz swap? just general info...and ANY info will be appreciated and i'll be VERY thankful to anyone who helps.

thanks guys!
Old 06-15-04, 12:22 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm.. something about your name...
Old 06-15-04, 12:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

I haven't seen a specific gte swap DIY writeup, but wanted to make sure you'd seen the FAQ that one of our members has pulled togeter that has loads of great info.

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

At the bottom he's got a lot of great links specific for this car as well that may have more of the info you're looking for.
Old 06-15-04, 02:04 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been contemplating writing a guide on this, I just would have to try and find the time to get to it.
Any thoughts on if I were to create something like this? Would/should I charge?

Chris
Old 06-15-04, 02:06 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt/details.htm

It's already been done.

Phil out in Hawaii did it.

Swap Away.

JT
Old 06-15-04, 02:39 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Phil's book is great for the wiring, but outside of that it doesn't have much depth. Of course the wiring is the most important part but I would also have a nice sheet of parts/possible parts necessary for the swap. Half of these questions that come through on CL (hundreds I might add, search function does wonders) would be answered by some simply outline of the install.

Come to think of it, I probably have enough material to put something together for others. I'll look tonight and see.

Chris
Old 06-15-04, 02:43 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by quikturbo
I've been contemplating writing a guide on this, I just would have to try and find the time to get to it.
Any thoughts on if I were to create something like this? Would/should I charge?

Chris
Yea, do the write up, it'd be great! But this isn't a place to charge others for advice and help. We're all here to help each other out. If you have free time, do the write up. If not, then don't.
Old 06-15-04, 02:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally posted by 2jzsc3
Yea, do the write up, it'd be great! But this isn't a place to charge others for advice and help. We're all here to help each other out. If you have free time, do the write up. If not, then don't.

We're going to open up the ClubLexus Library to more than paid members (everyone) and keep adding more DIY writeups. If somebody completes the writeup we'll certainly stick it up there and host it if you'd like.
Old 06-15-04, 07:14 PM
2jzSC?
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the links....i've found a car allready..
it's a 92 pearl white SC300 with the grey leather interior....it's hot as hell....auto too

but, i'm going to keep reading up and wok on selling my hatch...and trying to pick up the SC...

another question...how are insurance rates on the SC???
Old 06-15-04, 07:26 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I second phils manual, its a good start and provides some very important wiring cross referance diagrams. That, along with the factory service manuals, supraforums and this forum will be more than enough to do the job.
Old 06-15-04, 08:29 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 2jzsc3
I'm gonna have to disagree there just a little bit. I realize were all here to help eachother but with this I'm going to have to lean on charging like Phil does. This is Chris' time and money here if he wants to inform everyone on what to do for free so be it.