Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Dual Exhaust Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-04, 10:47 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LexAnt
could someone without a third cat please post their smog results? i'd like to know how the car does without that third cat, if i can still pass california smog within a reasonable margin then i may just go and get rid of it, but if i need it to pass california's standards then i guess i'm stuck.
While it would be nice to remove the 3rd cat and have a true dual system with x-pipe, I'd leave it alone in my opinion. I just got a pair Magnaflow mufflers installed on my car without the resonators and a y-pipe after the 3rd cat.
The lead mechanic at the local dealership told me emissions would be fine if you leave all 3 cats alone. He also told you can do anything you want from that 3rd cat back. So I went ahead and did just that. Plus, it seems that I've gained a little bit of power along with that Camaro like rumble....
Old 07-31-04, 11:01 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just passed my emisions- my paper is in the car. I looked at it, and everything was fine- I will see if I can locate it tomorrow. I dont see why that third cat is necessary outside of cali. In my opinion, leave resonators and delete the cat. (I had no cat, no resonators w/ magnaflows and it sounded pretty bad- really poppy.)
Old 08-01-04, 01:26 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

thank god, thats good news, thanks for sharing your results.
Old 08-01-04, 07:44 PM
BazookaJoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes!

That is good news!
In case anyone is curious, I've got a 3rd cat and my emissions results are as follows:

NJ My
Emissions Standard Reading

NOx 829 162
HC 112 30
CO% 0.62 0.00
CO2% 14.8

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but...
Old 08-02-04, 03:27 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SC400Dude
While it would be nice to remove the 3rd cat and have a true dual system with x-pipe, I'd leave it alone in my opinion. I just got a pair Magnaflow mufflers installed on my car without the resonators and a y-pipe after the 3rd cat.
The lead mechanic at the local dealership told me emissions would be fine if you leave all 3 cats alone. He also told you can do anything you want from that 3rd cat back. So I went ahead and did just that. Plus, it seems that I've gained a little bit of power along with that Camaro like rumble....
yea i have a JIC exhaust and i passed the smog with flying colors... way lower than average.... that's why i was wondering if i don't need the third cat and if it'll yield a couple more ponies when i do a full exhaust after the two cats... i would do that instead. so sc400texas, could you post your results? i'd like to see if it would pass california smog