Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What's the consensus on V8 exhaust diameter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 08:23 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the consensus on V8 exhaust diameter?

Okay, we've all heard the notion that you'll lose torque with large diameter exhaust piping. However, what I've come to understand is that no back pressure is good back pressure. Once you're past the tuned length section of the exhaust, you want as little back pressure as possible. I'm planning on taking care of the exhaust system this summer and was planning on going with the Magnaflow SS series, 2.5" offset inlet and outlet. I see that a lot of you opted for a 2.25" system in a effort to retain torque. Seeing how most like the Magnaflows, do we have dyno numbers to compare essentially identical systems using the two different diamteters? Is there much difference in sound with the .25" variance in diameter? If no one has any proof to support the benefit of the smaller diameter system, I'll just go with the 2.5". However, if there are those of you who have intimate knowledge and evidence of how the V8 responds to these exhaust changes, I may be swayed.
Old 06-23-04, 02:29 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

PM jbrady He's the CL exhaust man!
Old 06-23-04, 06:06 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What's the consensus on V8 exhaust diameter?

Originally posted by P.Williams
Okay, we've all heard the notion that you'll lose torque with large diameter exhaust piping. However, what I've come to understand is that no back pressure is good back pressure. Once you're past the tuned length section of the exhaust, you want as little back pressure as possible. I'm planning on taking care of the exhaust system this summer and was planning on going with the Magnaflow SS series, 2.5" offset inlet and outlet. I see that a lot of you opted for a 2.25" system in a effort to retain torque. Seeing how most like the Magnaflows, do we have dyno numbers to compare essentially identical systems using the two different diamteters? Is there much difference in sound with the .25" variance in diameter? If no one has any proof to support the benefit of the smaller diameter system, I'll just go with the 2.5". However, if there are those of you who have intimate knowledge and evidence of how the V8 responds to these exhaust changes, I may be swayed.
i had all 2.5" front to back and the low end torque sucked.

I put 4 reducers throughout the exhaust system and i recovered a bunch of torque.

i don't think there is much of a sound difference.

If FI is not in your future go with 2.25"