Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new engine needed already for my sc 400???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04 | 07:04 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by SupraCoup3

kentchoi, you're lucky -- you've got a ton of options and engines to choose from -- the 1UZ outlives the body of the car in which it resides... I know that for a fact

JT

Hi there. I will not be getting into deliberations `bout urban legends here JT. Why do you make fun of the guy with blown up engine that is a mystery for me.
Old 07-06-04 | 07:20 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Default Re: final options...

Originally posted by kentchoi

ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS PLEASE FEEL FREE I CHECK THIS EVERY HOUR OR SO!!!

THANK YOU and CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!

Not all faliures we see in the shop we can explain. There just to many variables. Manufacturer tolerances, material technology, driving conditions, third party interference and etc.

What is importand, engine is dead. It will cost thousands to fix it. Mighty 1UZ or not. Do not jump onto conclusions. 60k, 30k or whatever, check stuff before you buy.

On the warranty repair issiue. Lexus is known to kiss customers behind, but on that old car??
Old 07-06-04 | 07:30 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Default Re: new engine needed already for my sc 400???

I bought a used sc400 1993 with 60000 miles on it. Carfax is clean and the 60000 mile service was done at a dealership at 58,000 miles one year ago(almost exactly) with no problems detected...

One more thing to point out. You gentlemen are notorious for giving wrong information in your posts describing problems, my expirience here.

Our oryginal poster first come with a statement above, then later corrected it that owner was adviced by the dealership that oil level was to low and engine need repair. That is totaly different story.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-06-04 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-06-04 | 07:47 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Hi there. I will not be getting into deliberations `bout urban legends here JT. Why do you make fun of the guy with blown up engine that is a mystery for me.
I wasn't making fun of him, I was saying getting a new 1UZ-FE to throw in should be a piece of cake. Trying to find a 2JZ-GTE longblock, now that takes some looking. I'm not making fun of him, I'm encouraging him -- he's in a very good position here, for someone who's got a blown engine anyways.

The 1UZ outlives the body it resides in.

In english: the engine lasts longer than the unibody.

I know this for a fact because a family member drove my SC400 into a tree. The engine was a still running like a champ, but the body bought it.

about urban legends:

When you work at a lexus dealership and see 1UZ-FE powered SC400s and LS400s rolling in with incredably high milage day in and day out, I wouldn't call that an urban legend.

I agree that coming out and saying after the fact that oh by the way, the car was driven around with low oil levels, yeah that'll do it.

But the 1UZ is definately not prone to sludging. The V6 found in the ES300 would sludge... but service records @ the dealership showed that it was due to 1 or 2 oil changes over a 50,000 mile period on averege. Leased or company vehicles that were treated like crap -- usually those were the ones that sludged (the V6 RX300 & ES300).

Simply put, any engine will die when it's simply metal on metal.
Old 07-06-04 | 08:32 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
I wasn't making fun of him, I was saying getting a new 1UZ-FE to throw in should be a piece of cake. Trying to find a 2JZ-GTE longblock, now that takes some looking. I'm not making fun of him, I'm encouraging him...

Like I said TJ I`m not engaging, topic aint that interesting for me. Next time there will be sludger alround I will snap some pics though.

Anybody reading this thread can came with conclusions one would hope.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-06-04 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-07-04 | 11:17 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: final options...

Lexus will not fix it because one service record shows that on 3/30/04 the owner at the time did not listen to the dealers' advice to fix/inspect valves due to low oil levels...just put in 3 additional quarts and drove off!!!(what an idiot) just ruined such a beautiful car)....
Wait wait wait...WTF!?!?!?!!!! Dude, you first said, "I bought a used sc400 1993 with 60000 miles on it. Carfax is clean and the 60000 mile service was done at a dealership at 58,000 miles one year ago(almost exactly) with no problems detected..." and now this?!?!??????

You're lucky you're getting a refund. That's all I'll say.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 07-07-04 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-07-04 | 11:26 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

EUROJulian:
All due respect.
I highly regard your knowledge of motor vehicles.
I have no doubt that your knowledge is beyond most people here.
You are probably qualified to say what you will about the vehicles, but your tone that you speak to other is a bit condescending; not all the time, but many times.
You are the one with knowledge, that it make you an authority on the subject of automotive engineering but does not make you an authority of people.
Once again.
My utmost respect to you on your knowledge, but do try to endure the rest who is not apt as you in terms of automotive engineering.
all due respect

dennis
Old 07-08-04 | 06:09 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by VSsc400
EUROJulian:
All due respect.
I highly regard your knowledge of motor vehicles.
I have no doubt that your knowledge is beyond most people here.
You are probably qualified to say what you will about the vehicles, but your tone that you speak to other is a bit condescending; not all the time, but many times.
You are the one with knowledge, that it make you an authority on the subject of automotive engineering but does not make you an authority of people.
Once again.
My utmost respect to you on your knowledge, but do try to endure the rest who is not apt as you in terms of automotive engineering.
all due respect

dennis

"Condescending", you make me check in dictionary ... Well Denis, I`m not your everyday retard at the dealers as you may suspect from my typing.
I`m foreigner from far away country where we have thick skin and even some hive. Only recently I have transplanted to this country and learned your tongue.
But still I have serious problem undrestanding WTH you people are saying for most of the time. Another thing is I`m lacking tools to be nimble and came across rather bluntly. I appologise, cant help it much. Even at work they call me Terminator or they chant Lord Vader theme from Star Wars....
Relax and take it easy.
Old 07-08-04 | 06:32 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Just to go back on the topic. Today I have taken appart engine with similar faliure from one of our four cylinder cars.
Vehicle came with 28k miles on the clock and is not even three years old. It came with bad rod knock, no4 rod bearing was wiped out. There was also scoring on the rest of the rod bearings. Which mean it run out of the oil.
Engine was maintained poorly and had sludge deposits at "trap" points, but was not "sludged" as we understand it, but aparently enough to pack the piston rings and cause oil consumption.
One thing to another (not changing the oil as per schedule-- oil consumption-- oil level to low-- bearing faliure) and engine needs overhauln` at 28k miles.

I would never warranty that kind of repair, there was nothing wrong nor defective with the product, just lack of maintenance and abuse. They usualy do it on the warranty though. Politics.....
Old 07-09-04 | 05:52 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by EUROJulian
"Condescending", you make me check in dictionary ... Well Denis, I`m not your everyday retard at the dealers as you may suspect from my typing.
I`m foreigner from far away country where we have thick skin and even some hive. Only recently I have transplanted to this country and learned your tongue.
But still I have serious problem undrestanding WTH you people are saying for most of the time. Another thing is I`m lacking tools to be nimble and came across rather bluntly. I appologise, cant help it much. Even at work they call me Terminator or they chant Lord Vader theme from Star Wars....
Relax and take it easy.
The thought that you may be a retard at the dealer never crossed my mind. I am fully aware that you are not, and I do have admiration for the knowledge that you posess on the subject of automotive technology and related topics. I can say that in behalf of everyone here that you do have the mechanical skills and knowledge.

Who in this country is not a foreigner? I myself had to acclmate to the different way of this country and another that i have lived in my relatively young journey into my life. In my sub-30 years of living I've had to adjust to 3 different countries and 3 different languages and customs, but I digress...

I guessed that you have thick skin..... I'm a trader for a financial company; stress and thick skin is the only tools that make us survive every day.

There are differences between blunt and curt... try to be more curt and less blunt.

No need for an apology. I am sorry if I caused you to feel unwelcome (but I'm sure your thick skin absorbed that) <---- not a sarcasm.

Lol to the terminator and Star wars.

Relaxed and taking it easy.

No more of this now... Tell me more about the engine.
Old 07-09-04 | 07:12 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VSsc400
No more of this now... Tell me more about the engine.

It falls down, go boom with no oil

seriously though, were'd the original poster go? Is he really just going to return the car and not drop in a new motor? Get the guy to knock $2,000 off the price and buy that motor from alga, DIY, and come out with 1,500 in your pocket!

That's what I'd do anyways.
Old 07-09-04 | 03:56 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

oil can have condensation and acid build up in it too not to mention other things, oil changes are cheap and can make engines last longer, hopefully you're all changings fluids.
Old 07-11-04 | 12:48 AM
kentchoi
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Original post by me

Thank you all for the input....I am still waiting to see if lexus will look at it at least before blaming tha previous owner for lack of use....I just want to get to the bottom of this....Can an engine really go this bad in 2300 miles and one year???remember the last service done was by the first owner on 3/30/04 just 3 1/2 months ago!!! can an engine really go that bad that fast???
I will probably replace the engine with a used one and get the dealership to put it in according to lexus standards!!!(2500 on labor costs)
ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH REPLACING AN ENGINE ON AN SC 400 or LS 400(same engine)???GOOD OR BAD RESULTS and if so, WHO did the installation???
Old 07-11-04 | 02:47 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Default Re: Original post by me

Thank you all for the input....I am still waiting to see if lexus will look at it at least before blaming tha previous owner for lack of use....I just want to get to the bottom of this....Can an engine really go this bad in 2300 miles and one year???remember the last service done was by the first owner on 3/30/04 just 3 1/2 months ago!!! can an engine really go that bad that fast???
I will probably replace the engine with a used one and get the dealership to put it in according to lexus standards!!!(2500 on labor costs)
ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH REPLACING AN ENGINE ON AN SC 400 or LS 400(same engine)???GOOD OR BAD RESULTS and if so, WHO did the installation???
What? $2500 in labor alone to put in a motor? Are you kidding?
Old 07-11-04 | 06:09 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

my brother installs engines all the time for around 600, run from the stealership. go to an independent mechanic.

kentchoi: pm me if you need the engine.

Quick Reply: new engine needed already for my sc 400???