Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new engine needed already for my sc 400???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04 | 07:57 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Original post by me

Originally posted by kentchoi
I will probably replace the engine with a used one and get the dealership to put it in according to lexus standards!!!(2500 on labor costs)
Somehow I doubt the Lexus dealership will install an engine you provide. They are the type to fix up the engine wih new parts or replace the entire engine with a new one. If you happen to find one that will put your part in then you are lucky. None of the ones I have ever dealt with would accept that liability.

Just to give you an idea of pricing, a new SC400 short block on sale is usually around $7,263.35 ($8,545.12 MSRP). You probably won't need a new block but...yikes.
Old 07-11-04 | 08:36 AM
kentchoi
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy they will install but not guarantee!!!

they will install but not guarantee.....says labor is $95 an hour so I guess this will be about a 25 hour job to yank the old and put in the used....
Old 07-11-04 | 03:58 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Default Re: they will install but not guarantee!!!

they will install but not guarantee.....says labor is $95 an hour so I guess this will be about a 25 hour job to yank the old and put in the used....

Negotiate. Ask for written estimate first then see manager and cry foul. Check with chilton or alldata labor calculators....
Old 07-11-04 | 04:48 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Screw that. $95/hour? Are you kidding me? It's not a hard job that "needs Lexus standards". No offence to the dealership staff here, but on the most part, dealership mechanics suck anyway. Just ask around and find a decent mechanic in your area. Replacing an engine is NOT a hard job. Normally it takes me around a day to pull an engine, and another day to put in a new one. I've watched 2 mechanic friends do the whole job in about 4 hours. And they want 25 hours?

Bottom line, if you go to the dealership to get this done, you're getting ripped off at least $1500, and chances are they will do no better job than any other mechanic. IMHO, probably worse. I have had so many screw ups by dealership mechanics in the past. Think about it, an independent mechanic has to be good enough that he can stake his whole business on doing the job right. A dealership mech doesn't run the business, and it makes money on selling cars and warranty work anyway.

Disclaimer: yes, there are some very good dealership mechanics out there, and I'm sure some on this board will pipe up and flame me. But you also have to acknowledge that on average, they're not good. The number of times I have had jobs done backwards, poorly, parts left off, parts fell off, new problems, and had to fix it myself, from dealership work....
Old 07-11-04 | 05:16 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by Fred Smith

Disclaimer: yes, there are some very good dealership mechanics out there, and I'm sure some on this board will pipe up and flame me. But you also have to acknowledge that on average, they're not good. The number of times I have had jobs done backwards, poorly, parts left off, parts fell off, new problems, and had to fix it myself, from dealership work....
I`m not getting into discussion where to go, to dealers or to aftermarket. Wherever one can find qualified personel is fine with me.
I want to point out that physical swapping of the engine is not big of a deal. Making that swapped engine run w/o problems, driveability issiues and codes is or rahter may be.
This is where difference between in techs usualy shows and it is why you do need top notch people for the job, specialy on 12 years old clunker packed with electronic gizmos.

Independent techs are often as qualified as dealer techs, since they mostly get their training and expirience working for dealers first. They do not have weight or manufacturer behind them. Just to give you a sense of the back up, I talk with Japanise resident engineer on regular basis, even we mostly talk BS since there is not much stuff not adressed alredy. On occasions we do battle serious issiues though. I do admitt that our edge is mostly with newer models, but hey that is 90% of our work anyway.

I`m surprised that Lex dealer would touch junk engine swap though. Unheard of here.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-11-04 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-11-04 | 10:03 PM
kentchoi
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy comments by kentchoi

I'm getting the feeling that some of you feel that any good mechanic can do this job...I doubt it....Some dealerships have bad mechanics.....but would a top lexus dealership keep around anyone but the best???Also, they guarantee their work....just cannot guarantee that the engine will run....but those who will supply the engine guarantees the engine for 6 months(I figure if something will not work right it will show within 2 weeks)...
Can an engine really be pulled and replaced that quickly?
I dont think so and if I trust anyone it would be the overpriced dealership...there is also a place in texas that has rebuilt engines with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty on their engines....(3400 dollars) they are rebuilt to factory or beyond factory spec(its what they claim at least)
So the previous owner will order the replacement engine Monday I hope, the dealership will get it by wed/thurs and hopefully have it done by early next week....I wonder what I can do with the old engine???
I doubt it would be worth a dime....
Old 07-12-04 | 05:33 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: comments by kentchoi

Also, they guarantee their work....just cannot guarantee that the engine will run....but those who will supply the engine guarantees the engine for 6 months(I figure if something will not work right it will show within 2 weeks)...
Translation is that they will install it but if the motor is bad then it costs another $2500 to swap a new one again. You are already talking about $6000 in repairs with the reconditioned engine. If the car is immaculate and has no cosmetic flaws then this might be an okay route but depending on the year it may be better to look at another SC.

Last edited by Hermosa; 07-12-04 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-12-04 | 07:00 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Default Re: Re: comments by kentchoi

Originally posted by Hermosa
Translation is that they will install it but if the motor is bad then it costs another $2500 to swap a new one again. You are already talking about $6000 in repairs with the reconditioned engine. If the car is immaculate and has no cosmetic flaws then this might be an okay route but depending on the year it may be better to look at another SC.
I think key to understanding the situation is that gentleman doesn`t have to pay for repairs as the seller is picking up the bill. In that situation I would go nowhwere but the Lex dealership to do the job. It is no brainer.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-12-04 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-12-04 | 08:23 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Default Re: comments by kentchoi

I'm getting the feeling that some of you feel that any good mechanic can do this job...I doubt it....Some dealerships have bad mechanics.....but would a top lexus dealership keep around anyone but the best???Also, they guarantee their work....just cannot guarantee that the engine will run....but those who will supply the engine guarantees the engine for 6 months(I figure if something will not work right it will show within 2 weeks)...
Can an engine really be pulled and replaced that quickly?
I dont think so and if I trust anyone it would be the overpriced dealership...there is also a place in texas that has rebuilt engines with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty on their engines....(3400 dollars) they are rebuilt to factory or beyond factory spec(its what they claim at least)
So the previous owner will order the replacement engine Monday I hope, the dealership will get it by wed/thurs and hopefully have it done by early next week....I wonder what I can do with the old engine???
I doubt it would be worth a dime....

Wow...

let me guess you're going to vote for Kerry too

I thought you said you could return the car, why not just do that.
Old 07-12-04 | 08:35 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Default Re: Re: comments by kentchoi

Originally posted by SDSC300
Wow...

let me guess you're going to vote for Kerry too

I thought you said you could return the car, why not just do that.
See my post above yours before it goes any further
Old 07-12-04 | 08:40 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: comments by kentchoi

Originally posted by EUROJulian
See my post above yours before it goes any further

thanks I saw your post above , and I understand what you're saying but I still think that he should return the car if that's an option, unless like hermosa said its a perfect car besides the engine.
Old 07-15-04 | 04:24 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: comments by kentchoi

Originally posted by SDSC300
thanks I saw your post above , and I understand what you're saying but I still think that he should return the car if that's an option, unless like hermosa said its a perfect car besides the engine.
Why is that? He will get repaired car for no additional money.

We are not talking bout new cars here, all those junks have 10 maybe 12 years of use and all come with history. Accept it or buy Scion. tC hmm yummy
Old 08-02-04 | 07:52 PM
Tommy K
Driver

man that sucks that you are in that situation I have a 90 300z that failed smog with high HC levels but no smoke or no check engine light. It runs but it runs lean you can smell it. I hope that things works out. In Cali the car cant be legally sold if it doesnt pass smog. If you bought it as is then wow, but still if It were me I would just get my money back and look for another SC , but if they are covering you on the motor or work cool if not sell the car and save for another SC man.

my 2 cents

Tommy K
Fresno Ca
SC 400 165k and still going strong