Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 06:27 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LSD installed!

So for those who are curious.
1992 SC400 to 94 Supra N/A with optional LSD is a direct swap. Only the rear pumpking needs to be swapped. The supra LSD bolts directly on to the SC4's rear axles and driveshaft.

This is a swap on a 1992 SC400 3.92gear.
I managed to get a super deal on a optional LSD equipped rear end from a 1994 Toyota Supra N/A with 4.27gearing.
I couldn't take pictures since i did the swap alone and i didn't want to grease up the camera but here they are in words.
I bought the rear end with the 2 pieces of driveshaft, rear housing with the factory gears and LSD. I did not need the 2 piece driveshaft... the rear pumpkin was a direct swap with no modifications.
The install took from 1pm to 9pm with about 4 hours of driving around looking for tools and dodging rain.
I would not suggest doing it alone... ever...
Check the weather and get the tools together before you start

I needed 10mm and 12mm hex wrench along with a 12" breaker bar
You will good socket wrench set from 10mm to 19mm(i used 17mm, 18mm, 14mm sockets)
You will also need a set of strong open ended wrenches ranges from 12mm to 19mm) If you have 2 17mm open ended wrenches it will help out a lot
creeper
3 jack stands
2 jacks with (6" dish)
The end result. Totally worth the 8 hours of work.

previously my car was doing 80mph at around 2800rpm now the car does 80mph around 3000rpm.... but it sure gets there a lot quicker. The TRAC lights almost never comes on. If you can source this unit I would do it.... your car stays in power band a lot longer... no needless downshifting...
sorry for no pics....... but i love my camera and didn't have a helper to take pics.
one of the top 3 mods i have done.... Daizen sway bars and supra TT brakes being the others.

just DO IT.
Old 07-06-04, 08:19 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job. lol..i was about to post something about lsd as well, listen i read somewhere that some of our cars came with lsd, how do i know if my car has. an if it dosent how much did you spend on the whole install on the pumkin an the other parts that you used an where could i get them from, how difficult was it, i can do just about any type of bolt on modifaction to my car would i be able to do this or should i leave it to the pros.
Old 07-06-04, 08:39 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MyScRuNmIa
great job. lol..i was about to post something about lsd as well, listen i read somewhere that some of our cars came with lsd, how do i know if my car has. an if it dosent how much did you spend on the whole install on the pumkin an the other parts that you used an where could i get them from, how difficult was it, i can do just about any type of bolt on modifaction to my car would i be able to do this or should i leave it to the pros.
No SC300's or SC400 imported to US by Lexus of North America came with LSD.

I bought my setup used from supraforums. Price was $410 shipped and parts included were
1. rear housing(pumpkin) with original gears and optional LSD already loaded.
2. 2 pieces of the main driveshaft. (not needed for the swap)

All tools needed were posted in the first post...
36piece open ended wrench set = $80
10mm hex wrench = $6
12mm hex wrench = $5
gear oil 2 1Qt bottles $20
liquid wrench(for those tough to get off bolts) $5

Installation price was free since I did the work.

you will also want to change the gear oil. I used Magic Lube synthetic 75W-90 gear oil 1.5qt's

This is a bolt on job but it takes time.
1. Jack up the car by the rear differential
2. support the car using jack stands.
3. remove jack from the rear diff
4. unbolt exhaust pipes so the Diff is free and clear to work with.
5. unbolt the 12 hex bolts (10mm) on each side. use the hex wrench and breaker bar. Separate them from the rear pumpkin. (carefully, but this should be stuck on pretty tight)
5. unbolt 3 bolts and nuts fron the main driveshaft (there are 6 but you need to remove only 3) these are 17mm and you will probably want to use 2 17mm open ended wrenches.
6. loosen the 3 12mm hex bolts that are holding the housing to the rear cross member using 12mm hex wrench and breaker bar) ONLY LOOSEN. DO NOT REMOVE YET!
7. loosen the front two bolts that are holding the diff to the chasis. (DO NOT REMOVE YET!)
8. bring the jack under the rear diff (make sure to use a jack with large surface so it will hold the diff when it comes off)
9. remove the front 2 bolts holding the diff to the chasis
10. remove the rear 3 hex bolts. the 2 on either side first then the middle last.
11. gently start lowering the jack, loosening up the connection to the driveshaft (do not band the driveshaft.. it can go out of balance)
you now have removed it.

to install.
12. jack up the new diff about 3/4 of the way and bolt on the 2 axles on either side.
13. line up the driveshaft and the front section of the LSD(so the nipples goes into the hole in the driveshaft)
14. jack up 1/4-1/2 inch at a time and keep the driveshaft and the LSD lined up.
15. line up the rear bolt holes and re-install the 12mm hex bolts (do not torque to spec yet)
16. bolt the 2 bolts to the chasis (do not torque to spec yet)
17. bolt the 3 bolts and nuts to the driveshaft
18. torque everything to spec
19. re-install the exhaust pipes

getting those bolts off are a pain in the butt. Also lining up the driveshaft to the LSD is a pain in the butt.

good luck.

Last edited by VSsc400; 07-06-04 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-06-04, 09:17 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up man.

You should be able to lay down two consistent strips of rubber now
Old 07-06-04, 09:21 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Technics
Thanks for the write-up man.

You should be able to lay down two consistent strips of rubber now
with only 210rwhp and 230rwtq with 265 wide tires in the rear i won't be leaving NO strips.... now if I can only find some desperately needed HP's.
Old 07-06-04, 10:49 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

If you hear of anymore deals on LSD's hit me up I am dying for one. Buy I want a Good price!

Philly
Old 07-06-04, 10:58 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex
If you hear of anymore deals on LSD's hit me up I am dying for one. Buy I want a Good price!

Philly
i check supraforums religiously for parts.
damn, i gave away the secret....
the MKIV supra N/A with optional LSD is very rare.....
i don't even know why the guy sold it to me at that price. the unit works perfectly...
If I hear about one I'll let you know, but best bet is at supraforums.
I already see a lot of SCx00 guys over there hunting for parts like vultures over a busload of smelly pigs.

Last edited by VSsc400; 07-06-04 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-06-04, 12:02 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Dennis....a good deal on parts and you got off easy on the install.

gadgetSC-t
Old 07-06-04, 12:06 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VSsc400
best bet is at supraforums.
I already see a lot of SCx00 guys over there hunting for parts like vultures over a busload of smelly pigs.

Awww c'mon now! we pitch in and help out the NA MKIV guys with their troublshooting too!

...ok, ok, we're vultures.
Old 07-06-04, 12:10 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gadgetSC
Great Dennis....a good deal on parts and you got off easy on the install.

gadgetSC-t
it took me nearly 40 minutes to get the center driveshaft to line up with the LSD nipple.... I was about to call you and beg for help... but I was determined to get it done on my own!

What made me even try to do it on my own was the thread that you posted about your LSD install... Had you not posted that I would have chickened out... of course, you ARE the man when it comes to these things...

SupraCoupe3: I see you there a lot on the N/A forums....

I'm a true vulture there... I had to empty out my PM box 3 times (about 120pm's or so) but I only have like 10 posts on the forums... he he he
Old 07-06-04, 12:22 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

Originally posted by VSsc400
with only 210rwhp and 230rwtq with 265 wide tires in the rear i won't be leaving NO strips.... now if I can only find some desperately needed HP's.
Do a walbro fuel pump and a 150 direct wet shot, you will leave some tracks! you need the bottle!
Old 07-06-04, 12:31 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexus_sc400_n20
Do a walbro fuel pump and a 150 direct wet shot, you will leave some tracks! you need the bottle!
already got the walbro pump installed

as for wet shot i'm waiting to do the stereo install and battery mount before i do spray. 150 shot is too much... i would go with 75shot 100shot tops
Old 07-06-04, 04:34 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

150 shot direct port isnt too much. I had 100 single nozzle on mine with no problems. I would do a 150 if i did it again, direct port that is.
Old 07-06-04, 04:37 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexus_sc400_n20
150 shot direct port isnt too much. I had 100 single nozzle on mine with no problems. I would do a 150 if i did it again, direct port that is.
not too much for the car... too much for me. lol
Old 07-08-04, 05:03 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150 shot..im running a 80 shot and thats already enough..maybe try a 100. How the lsd feel..any quicker off the line?

Quick Reply: LSD installed!