Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

anybody have info about CAMS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 06:16 AM
Rico4335
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anybody have info about CAMS?

HEY, I was reading on Planet Soarer about a cam change but could not find the final results from the change.....from what they wrote it was expected to be a nice gain, it was very informative but as far as I could find, incomplete. I preformed a search here for info about cams (like a good boy!!!..LOL) but really did not find any info.......Perhaps some of you "ole' timers" could point me to a thread or web site?

Oh and I am new to this site and a new owner, but I will have to say that this is a VERY cool site and everyone seems to be working for the greater good................SPEED+HP!!!

thanks in advance for any help!!!!
Rico

94 SC400 (in need of my loving touch)
Old 07-11-04, 09:35 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

i've read about an IS300 2jzge vvti engine gaining a solid 18hp with titan cam gears.

you should try hks or unorthodox cam gears and check application for yrour sc400. good luck.
Old 07-12-04, 02:03 PM
Rico4335
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, but I was talking about a cam shaft regrind, not the gears though that is a though. I may try to find a spare set of heads with the cams and go to a couple of performance shops with the specs that were posted on Planet Soarer and give it a go, but it may be awhile b4 I get everything together.........I would like to do that in conjunction with a header install, and see what kind of gains can be achieved. Just like everyone else I am waiting to find out about a header build-up that is goining on in the US.........just have to be patient!!!

Thanks for the info anyway,

Anybody else have INFO???!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-04, 05:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

there are plenty of things you can do before a cam shaft upgrade. good luck though.
Old 07-12-04, 09:27 PM
Rico4335
Driver School Candidate

Talking

oh dont get me wrong...........I know that....I was reading about cams on Planet Soarer and wanted to know the results of the cam change they did. I did not mean that I was running out to do it.........their are no cams avaliable that I know of.......I was intersted in the changes they made, and to see the gains it gave them.

Besides I like to plan things out in advance....and IT IS MY CAR!

thanks
Rico
Old 07-13-04, 08:55 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Calvin L
i've read about an IS300 2jzge vvti engine gaining a solid 18hp with titan cam gears.

Only the exhaust cam gear will fit the vvt-i motor, and I strongly doubt an 18hp gain from that, it's worth a couple hp if dialed in right. Rico, C's makes a set of cams for the 1UZ (remember it's four cams...not cheap) or you could contact Peter Scott and find out who did his grinds. There are others who will regrind the oe cams as well, depending on what you want they will weld up the lobes and regrind them or grind down the base circle, this not only affects lift/duration but also the rate at which the valves will open, since you've changed the 'ramp angle.'
Old 07-13-04, 03:49 PM
Rico4335
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!!! But who is C's.........and do you have any Idea of hp gains? I did not think that getting them built up and regrind would be a big deal........I think the important information is what is the recomended "new" lift and duration............also if a supercharger is in the future of this 1uz...would you not agree that this "process" would help my 1uz "breath" much better, with an better ehaxust ( side note: too bad I do not still live in Arkansas, they have recently done away with emissions tests, you do not have to do ANY test what so ever to get your tags, but if your stoped by a Trooper and he does a test and you fail well that is another story, but I have never seen nor head of this happening........<sigh>)

Back to the subject, I am thinking that all of these improvements will help each other to preform to peak.............Cold air induction+supercharger+cams+headers+highflow cats+2.5 or 3 in exhaust = continual need for rear rubber!

I know someone is gonna say why not just put it on the bottle? Well that will be the "secret" weapon.............you know the "Go Baby Go" button. Really I am not a big fan of Juice.......I would rather Boost.....and then do a little juice.

Any of this make sense?

Rico