Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I just cannot decide what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 11:00 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I just cannot decide what to do

after doing endless research... i cannot decide which route to take with my sc300

1 - swap the 2jzgte
2 - turbo the NA
3 - 1jzgte

What's my goal? A reliable daily driven with working AC car that will run 11.5-12.5 in the quarter mile and will spool up near instantly. All while keeping in mind i'm a poor college student. Before anyone goes into "schooling" me about turbo cars.... yes i've owned a turbo car (a 350hp MR2 to be exact.... which is why my sc300 feels so dog-slow).

My current situation? I have about 118k on the clock and it eats a bit of oil. Almost a quart between oil changes. I'm using 10w40 oil which might be too thin... but I'm not sure. Therefore I'm not sure if my motor is healthy enough to be turbo'ed.

I would really like to just turbo my NA because I (hopefully) don't need an 800hp beast for a daily car. And i figure these are the costs i'd run into... hunting for used parts

1500 - t60-1 turbo, RPS manifold, DP and midpipe, tial WG
1000 - FMIC
800 - lexus V8 AFM, 550cc, SAFC, walbro 255l pump
300 - misc parts

thats 3600... okay... so some of you might think thats pretty good.... but thats for about 300rwhp because i'll be running on stock internals and HG... add another 1000 for HG, install and ARP studs.... and now we're getting close to 2jzgte swap territory.

We're also forgetting that my motor is eating oil... and could end up being a major problem.

What would you do to get 400-550 rwhp?
Old 07-21-04, 11:02 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

BTW... how does 300rwhp feel on an SC300? thats about 7-8psi of boost on a good (fast-spooling) sized turbo
Old 07-21-04, 11:47 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

save your troubles and buy mine...jspec swapped and ready to go...
Old 07-21-04, 11:57 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

if you only want 350 rwhp, just turbo the NA, get the basic daveh turbo kit and a huge front mount and you'll probably be up to about 320+ rwhp

i plan on doing the 1jz swap becuase i don't plan on having more than 400rwhp......but that's long term goals.....anyways, im no engine/turbo expert, but if you don't plan on making huge hp, just turbo the NA or do a 1jz swap
Old 07-22-04, 12:54 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
save your troubles and buy mine...jspec swapped and ready to go...
Or mine He has plenty of options
Old 07-22-04, 03:03 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

If he wants 11.50s then low 3xx RWHP isn't going to do it. If that is really your ultimate goal just swap in an auto TT motor do BPU++ mods, buy a good converter, and a LSD rear end and be done with it. NA-T = more trouble than necessary a lot of the time.

-Ethan
Old 07-22-04, 06:37 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently in the same situation as you man. Sucks being a poor college student, doesnt it?

I'm starting to think that the 1JZ swap will be the best option for me. I wanted to go the NA-T route, but my engine has a LOT of miles on it (183k) so if I went NA-T I would either need to do a total rebuild or buy another 2JZ. motor. Also, my transmission is having issues. I was told that my master and slave cylinders need to be replaced (clutch is having issues with engaging/disengaging), and there are some internal problems with the tranny as well. As much as it would cost to fix the tranny, its not worth it. Its easier and cheaper to just totally replace it. BUT I cant make that decision until I know if I will be keeping the 2JZ, because if I go to the 1JZ I dont think I will use the same tranny.
Old 07-22-04, 04:28 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

forgot to mention i have the 5sp...

anywho... yea... i guess i should be asking how much rwhp the sc300 needs to get it high 11's low 12's

i would be totally game for turbo'ing the NA... but i've got that oil consumption dillemma and i'm not quite sure if my motor is healthy yet

the 1jz is an option for me... but the CA smog issues are just too much hassle for me. Been there done that with my previous MR2

now that i think about it... doing an NA-T would give me the same hassles huh?

tony... angel... PM about your cars.... maybe i'll just do that well thats if i can pull a loan for it
Old 07-22-04, 04:34 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

You got PM.
Old 07-23-04, 08:57 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

If you wanna go 11s, i would stick with the 2jz, so that knocks one option out for you right now. The next decision is one of opinion. I prefer the full swap (+6speed) which runs about $10k if you do it yourself, or $15k if you have it done. This gets you the getrag which will hold up all day to 11 sec runs with a beefy clutch. The 5speed will also hold up to 11 second runs, but how long is anyones guess b/c its very venerable above 400hp. People i know have been through as much as 4 trannys before dropping the $2k for a getrag. Now a custom turbo kit with enough power to get you in the 11s will run you about $4k/min, but than you have to worry about you peripheral systems, such as your ignition, fuel, plug changing, compression, and as mentioned before the 5speed. Good news is the GE shortblock itself with TT HG is pretty much a GTE, other than some oil squirters and slightly different pistons. imho, the full 2J swap is the way to go for what you want, but its all up to you. You gotta pay to play and the 11s is some big game.
Old 07-23-04, 09:00 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

i plan on doing the 1jz swap becuase i don't plan on having more than 400rwhp......but that's long term goals.....anyways, im no engine/turbo expert, but if you don't plan on making huge hp, just turbo the NA or do a 1jz swap
are you saying the 1jz wont make more than 400rwhp? i've seen some way beyond that
Old 07-24-04, 01:16 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

perhaps a more ideal goal for me would be low 12's

i've been thinking about the full GTE swap and using a R154 tranny... how about that?
Old 07-24-04, 09:21 AM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by got_trd
are you saying the 1jz wont make more than 400rwhp? i've seen some way beyond that
na, i wasn't saying that, it's just that me personally, i don't plan on going more than 400, i kno that it's capable of way more, it's just that, why would i pay 12g+ on the 2jz and 6spd if i don't plan on being a 600rwhp+ speed demon

i'll most likely be doing the 1jz swap, i only want to build/tune it to 400rwhp at most
Old 07-24-04, 08:50 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

mteele and ummagawd im in the same position as both of u guys lol ... but i have decided to go gte because i wont have much down time on the car and i will (after i graduate) be shooting for around 600 hp and i have always wanted a 6sp tranny ... and i dont think it will cost 10k if i do the work myself im estimating no more than 5k .... btw does anyone know of a good write-up for this swap? im thinking about making a gte conversion page if there is not one already out there ....
LexusFiend
Old 07-24-04, 11:31 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexusFiend
mteele and ummagawd im in the same position as both of u guys lol ... but i have decided to go gte because i wont have much down time on the car and i will (after i graduate) be shooting for around 600 hp and i have always wanted a 6sp tranny ... and i dont think it will cost 10k if i do the work myself im estimating no more than 5k .... btw does anyone know of a good write-up for this swap? im thinking about making a gte conversion page if there is not one already out there ....
LexusFiend
Someone already makes a 2jz swap manual for the Sc300. Phil Auldridge(sp). Or are you talking about the 1jz?

If your talking about the 2jzgte swap let me know your final price after your done with the swap

Last edited by TurboB6; 07-25-04 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: I just cannot decide what to do