Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU differences, compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 09:50 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECU differences, compatibility

Whats up guys,

On motor swaps, can a 5spd motor use an automatic tranny ECU? If not... is it possible to configure it to be used? If you guys know any secrets and working the ecu's... help a brother out! thanks!
Old 07-26-04, 11:59 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

from what i have collected there have been mixed results. one guy is using a 1jz motor and ecu (automatic ecu) with a 2jz 6speed without any problems while others swear by not being able to use the auto ecu. i would suggest getting the 5 speed ecu in theory will stop the revs when it is programmed to shift and cause a rev limiter feeling when it does that (or atleast it does that with honda's from experience). good luck with your project.
Old 07-29-04, 12:40 AM
drnkcarlos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had a auto 1jz computer on the stock 1jz engine... the previous owner swapped the mission with a 5 speed but left the auto tranny computer. Everything appeared to workfine except there were many many annoying dings/beeps and messages on the display (ECT OD on/off and a few others but other than that everything seemed to work ok... oh and the engine revved a bit higher on cold start but that was it. When I found a 5sp computer all the annoying problems went away including the ultra high start up revs. I was really relieved. If your putting a 1jzgte in you can also use the JZX90 computers as well as soarer computers. The pin outs are the same. So if you look for an aftermarket CPU you can also use JZX90 computers too. good luck and hope this helps you.
Old 07-29-04, 06:52 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by drnkcarlos
My car had a auto 1jz computer on the stock 1jz engine... the previous owner swapped the mission with a 5 speed but left the auto tranny computer. Everything appeared to workfine except there were many many annoying dings/beeps and messages on the display (ECT OD on/off and a few others but other than that everything seemed to work ok... oh and the engine revved a bit higher on cold start but that was it. When I found a 5sp computer all the annoying problems went away including the ultra high start up revs. I was really relieved. If your putting a 1jzgte in you can also use the JZX90 computers as well as soarer computers. The pin outs are the same. So if you look for an aftermarket CPU you can also use JZX90 computers too. good luck and hope this helps you.

That is great info. Im getting the auto ECU in the mail today... im going to see what happens. My car started off as a 5spd so luckily i dont have that O/D light. But the high revs are what im concerned about.