Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bfi and headlights done! pics up

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 11:49 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Big F***ing Intake
Old 08-19-04, 12:09 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headlights look good
Old 08-19-04, 03:25 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BFI intake and headlights done! pics up

Originally posted by pilip99
foggy headlight tried doin the hot oven trick, had no luck
Did you by any chance try to clean the outside of the headlight using a plastic cleaner/polish first? I ask because most people for some strange reason think the fogginess is on the inside of the light, when my headlights were cloudy I cleaned the outside of the lens and got off 99% of that yellowy crap using Meguiar's plastic cleaner ($7). Now my headlights look crystal clear! I like that BFI though, I need to do that one of these days...then I need to sell my Injen intake!!!

Last edited by mikeloc24; 08-19-04 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-19-04, 07:42 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

by indelible
What did you cut the plexiglass with?
I used a bandsaw ( i think thats what it is ) I tried using other types of cutting utensils, but I think that did the most consistent job.

by jcm3
good job..lights look great!
Thanks !

by legendary
How long did it take for you to complete? (BFI)
Well removing the headlights first took about 45-55 minutes because of those bolts that were hard to reach , but after that it wasn't too bad. Removing the airbox - 15 - 20 minutes. Drilling airbox properly - 30 minutes. Now the template part, is probably where it took the most time, because I tried some of the tools i had at home to try and cut the plexiglass, but it was difficult, so I finally found the bandsaw and it got the job done. Install the rubber rings ( or egg cups ) 5 minutes. Installing template and insulating material around the airbox - I guess the time can vary, I took my time with that part over a span of two days, working on it for about 1 hour each day, because I wanted to get it right the first time.

by mikeloc24
Did you by any chance try to clean the outside of the headlight using a plastic cleaner/polish first? I ask because most people for some strange reason think the fogginess is on the inside of the light, when my headlights were cloudy I cleaned the outside of the lens and got off 99% of that yellowy crap using Meguiar's plastic cleaner ($7). Now my headlights look crystal clear! I like that BFI though, I need to do that one of these days...then I need to sell my Injen intake!!!

Yeah I tried doing the outside with the plastic cleaner, but I had no luck, I'm not sure if I was cleaning it right because others on the club seemed to have success with it and proved it with pictures.
do you have any pics I can see of how clean you got your headlights? Also, I am jus curious how the Injen intake performs.. I hear it just gives off a sound and looks but no real performance gains.
Old 08-24-04, 11:49 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Where did you buy the plexiglass?
Old 08-24-04, 03:47 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

by indelible
Where did you buy the plexiglass?
Um i got it at Home Depot.. Right Now I'm using a 1/4" its kind of thick, I might buy another one in the 1/8" size. So whichever you prefer is up to you.
Old 08-24-04, 04:10 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

where did you put the insulation? and for what purpose?
Old 08-24-04, 04:12 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

you have PM
Old 08-24-04, 05:13 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

awwww why'd you send it in a pm? im curiouse too, i guess it's just to reroute the airflow????
Old 08-24-04, 09:29 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

awwww why'd you send it in a pm? im curiouse too, i guess it's just to reroute the airflow????

yeah you're right kinda, it acts as a heat shield so the airbox only takes in cold air and not the engine heat, which is prevented by the insulation
Old 08-25-04, 10:21 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any pics but they are crystal clear. I'm sure brand new lights look better but compared to how my lights looked when I first got the car it's a HUGE improvement, like I said I got about 99% of that crap off. I used a rotary buffer to do this by the way, and I did it 3 times over 3 days. Once each day. Looks nice now. As for the Injen yes, it "seems" to give a little power increase once you're over 60mph and they include a dyno sheet to prove it. But really it just looks good and sounds nice, otherwise it's overrated. I'd sell mine if someone actually wanted it. I have other mods I need to spend time and cash on...

Last edited by mikeloc24; 08-25-04 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-26-04, 07:41 AM
aasc300
Advanced

What are you doing with your old headlights? If possible, I would like to try to repair them and put them on my car. If I can get them to look nice and put them on my car, I can send you my old ones afterward. I really want to repair a set but dont have the resources to put my car down for any amount of time. Let me know or PM me.
Old 03-20-05, 04:24 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Default Bumping this particular BFI thread from the dead

Hey, I was reading this thread, and I was wondering, how would I route and install the insulation between the rubber grommets in the air box?? I haven't had the time yet to actually look closely at the setup but if anybody could help me out on this before I go tearing into it all it would be great! If anybody had pics that would be very cool as well. Thanks in advance guys!

Josh
Old 03-27-05, 08:16 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

pilip99 - I'm curious as well...how / where did u put that insulation tape? Pics please? And does anyone know a place to get those da*m eggcups?!?! I've tried Wal-Mart, etc.....still can't find those dang things...argh
Old 03-28-05, 07:04 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

ill try to get pics up asap

Quick Reply: bfi and headlights done! pics up