Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bfi and headlights done! pics up

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 07:40 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice cheungsta! tell us how she feels after!
Old 07-25-05, 10:46 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

she runs great! New sound as cold air rushed into the scoop...much better launching, smoother acceleration...over all much smoother sound and speed...and she's quicker! LoL...That was fun....

Here's pics from my project...i know, they prob. look similar to most everyone else's BFI pics, but I was so proud of it, I had to post

Here's the start of today's project...

Old 07-25-05, 10:48 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome! How long did it take you to do it from start to finish. I would have to get it done fast because mine is a daily driver.
Old 07-25-05, 10:51 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

working on the intake box...

putting it back together...

SOoo....over all, this project was so worth it. It did take a little more time than I expected, but that was cuz I didn't understand some of the instructions... ...couldn't find certain screws, etc...The toughest part for me to find (I know, perhaps this sounds stupid), was finding the two little screws to replace with the 8mm bolts to open up the scoop. I swear, that took forever...

Oh, and anyone else with a 95 SC4 that has done the BFI...did u notice different measurements from schematics that are floating arround (by Paul Irwin)?? I had to totally come up with my own size / measurements for the top cover and the box scoop below the headlight.

hehe.... ...finally finished by BFI....

Last edited by cheungsta; 07-25-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-25-05, 11:08 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i really want to do the BFI but cant find really descriptive instructions with a list of EVERYTHING you need. i like the one above^.
Old 07-25-05, 11:08 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Awesome! How long did it take you to do it from start to finish. I would have to get it done fast because mine is a daily driver.
Yeah, I had the same issue...it's my daily driver too

Let's see...I started around 10am, and got done around 5pm...so it did take me pretty much a whole day. (that's probably a longer time that what other people spent on it, but I was kinda taking my time to make sure I got everything right the first time...) But, having gone through the process, there are a number of things you can do prior to taking your car apart...so you can get those things ready on one day, and just install / drill the next.

What you could do the day before...
- pick up ALL the stuff you need...the 8mm screws, extra rivets, plastic sheet (which was a ****** to find), heat shield matieral, foam (if you plan on using it), hot glue gun (or superglue), other tools, etc...
- do the measurements for the top portion / cover...
- perhaps even make the inside / under the headlight scoop...I had to pretty much fabricate mine from scracth (the measurements were different), so this took quite a while, but you could try with the measurements on the schematics...and just fiddle with it once you get under the hood...
- BIG TIME SAVER!! Locate those two freakin' screws that you need to replace with the 8mm bolts...they are behind the grill, and are philips screws...don't pull out the rivets that you see first...those hold your grill in place...the screws are almost flush, so kinda hard to see (unless you have a really good eye...or a bright light ) After you remove those two screws, reach in from the top, and just press down...the x-tree bolts (plastic) will pop right out...

hope this stuff helps!
Old 07-26-05, 08:20 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

alirght...so here's the scoop / two screws part I was talking about...for those of you who were wondering exactly what I was refering to...

and on the intake-side, there is a denso sensor to be aware of. It shouldn't be a problem, but just don't ignore it...you wouldn't want to break it. Some people lower the scoop more, and relocate the sensor above the scoop (which would be prertty easy), but I didn't do that...

Old 07-26-05, 09:40 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

nice cheungsta, i just wish the pictures would show up for me all i see are red x's , maybe the links are down? i want to get started on this asap sent u pm....
Old 07-26-05, 09:41 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

never mind the pics are working for me now hahaha i just clicked refresh
Old 07-26-05, 09:49 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

LOL...sounds good...hope the pics help, LMK if there are any other parts you want pics of...
Old 07-26-05, 02:51 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

cheungsta can i get some pics of where you put the scoop?
Old 07-27-05, 06:37 AM
white ice
Rookie

as far as the ram air effect, has anyone thought of blocking off the area right above the passenger high beam and creating more of a direction for the air?
Old 07-27-05, 07:52 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

nah i havent done that
Old 07-27-05, 09:39 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

nope...i didn't really do much on the passenger side. I did try to fill in the "triangle" gap, to limit the amount of hot air flowing into the front scoop, but I have to get around to blocking it off better...I'll post pics of that once I do it.

pilip99 - still gonna post more pics of the front scoop for u...sorry, just been really busy...will post soon
Old 07-27-05, 09:40 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

sweet cant wait to see em!

Quick Reply: bfi and headlights done! pics up