Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bfi and headlights done! pics up

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 03:40 AM
white ice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if pulling the flap down the front where the bolts are restricts the air flow to the radiator?
Old 07-28-05, 08:35 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

so far, from everyone that has reported about this (from other sites as well), no-one has had any problems regarding airflow to the radiator. There still is plenty of room under the flap, so the radiator will get plenty of air. I can also vouch for that...I just drove over 300 miles the past day and half, in the So. Cal heat (I live in the desert...so we're talking like 100-105 or so), and the therm. never changed....right smack in the middle....
Old 07-28-05, 03:43 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

cheungsta where in so cali do you live? 105 sounds pretty hottt
Old 07-28-05, 07:22 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Inland Empire...San Bernardino area...kinda...

hmmm...that's wierd...I posted earlier regarding the flap...I even had more pics for you, but it's not here now....

anyways, here they are again....regarding the front scoop (held down w/ 2 screws)

This is a clearer pic, through the front grill...see the radiator behind the scoop? the plastic edge (held down by the scoop) is normally not visable...but once you push it down and hold it down with the screws, it should look like this

This pic is as if I was sitting on the engine, looking down into the gap between the radiator and the front bumper. See the plastic flap held down by the screws? once you take those 2 phillip screws out, reach down here and push...it'll just pop right down, then put those screws to hold it open...that's it!

Hope these help
Old 07-28-05, 07:33 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

perfect! thanks
Old 07-29-05, 09:40 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

No prob. After u get this done, report back if u feel a difference when u take her out...should be ALOT more air rushing into u'r BFI...
Old 07-30-05, 04:24 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

cheungsta you were right! it does feel a little better than before! that scoop makes a big difference
Old 08-08-05, 03:51 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheungsta
Inland Empire...San Bernardino area...kinda...

hmmm...that's wierd...I posted earlier regarding the flap...I even had more pics for you, but it's not here now....

anyways, here they are again....regarding the front scoop (held down w/ 2 screws)

This is a clearer pic, through the front grill...see the radiator behind the scoop? the plastic edge (held down by the scoop) is normally not visable...but once you push it down and hold it down with the screws, it should look like this

This pic is as if I was sitting on the engine, looking down into the gap between the radiator and the front bumper. See the plastic flap held down by the screws? once you take those 2 phillip screws out, reach down here and push...it'll just pop right down, then put those screws to hold it open...that's it!

Hope these help
In the last picture, does that plastic floor cover have to be removed? I currently hide my HID ballast in that spot. Removing the cover will definitely flow more air into the BFI. Why is the headlamp have to be removed?
Old 08-08-05, 08:27 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97Soarer
In the last picture, does that plastic floor cover have to be removed? I currently hide my HID ballast in that spot. Removing the cover will definitely flow more air into the BFI. Why is the headlamp have to be removed?
The floor cover isn't removed, just pushed down, to open that gap up. I'm planning on mounting my HID ballasts there too...I don't think that should be a problem, as long as their are mounted securely.

As for the headlamp being removed, you need to take that out to remove the snorkel, and to fit in the box that directs air into your new & improved air box. If you don't remove the headlight and fit in that box, air will leak out the bottom, and you'll get way too much heat soak. Plus you won't have good air pressure into the intake.

There should be some pics around here...I'll try to get some posted...
Old 08-08-05, 08:30 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

dang cheungsta you beat me to it, i was about to post on what to do..
Old 09-08-05, 03:48 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guy tha BFi sounds kool but i was thinkin about geting a injen cold air kit whitch would be better?

and does any one have a problem with water getin into there BFI?

Tnx
Old 09-08-05, 04:19 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by $C300
Hey guy tha BFi sounds kool but i was thinkin about geting a injen cold air kit whitch would be better?

and does any one have a problem with water getin into there BFI?

Tnx
BFI is better.
Old 09-08-05, 04:28 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

this might sound stupid but y?
Old 09-08-05, 04:51 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BFI is a true cold air intake. It draws air from outside the car, and is shielded from engine heat. The injen intake is a short-ram intake, not a cai. It draws hot air from the engine bay. The little filter heat shield is not enough. You would need to build a box around the filter to isolate it from engine bay heat for it to be similar to a BFI in terms of performance.

Scott
Old 09-08-05, 04:51 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

the BFI has proven to be better than the Injen intake through testing.: www.planetsoarer.com
if you want a fully functional CAI, you can try this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...old+air+intake

Nobody has proven that this custom CAI is neither better nor worse than the BFI, so you'll have to come to your own conclusions.

Quick Reply: bfi and headlights done! pics up