Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bfi and headlights done! pics up

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 05:34 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds kool, looks like BFI it is and may be even a front scoop.
Old 09-08-05, 08:44 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That front scoop is pretty necessary (if u'r refering to the scoop behind the front grill)...without that, u won't really be sucking enough air / sucking in too much hot air from the engine. Good luck with the project...and make sure you have everything you need before you start....

Last edited by cheungsta; 09-08-05 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-08-05, 11:01 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I lowered the whole scoop instead of just tha one side would that cause problems?
Old 09-09-05, 12:08 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

nope...i lowered the scoop the entire length as well...not just the left side. No problems with air flowing to the radiator, and I get great air flow to the BFI...
Old 09-10-05, 06:53 PM
Dramon
Driver

I cut a hole in my hood and riveted a small scoop above the BFI for mine!!!

It sucks in lots of cold air, sometimes at night you can almost even see the air being sucked in.
Old 09-10-05, 08:38 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

ummm does the hood still look okay?
Old 09-12-05, 11:02 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a tad on the lazy side these days. Can I get away with just ...

1) cutting three circular holes on the air box
2) making a heat shield to cover the top of the air box
3) just opening the lower bumper grill plate to let more air into the snorkel

I looked at the drawings from planet soarer, making that custom air directional thing looks too complicated and time consuming.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-05, 11:29 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

isnt that basically what your supposed to do?
Old 09-12-05, 12:42 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

@ Dramon - wow...got any pics of that? sounds kinda interesting (but not something I would do....I like the front look of my SC...)

as for the directional flow box, you will be loosing A LOT of air flow / power if you do not do this...also, you will get A LOT of heat soak from the engine, since it is nearly impossible to block out all the open areas from underneath. The box isn't that hard...just play with cardboard, foam and tape...it doesn't even have to look that nice...I've got insualtion junk and electrical tape all over mine...LOL
Old 09-13-05, 09:27 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

So I did the BFI yesterday. Headlamp removal was the only thing that gave me problems (forgot to turn the wheels so I can get to the splash guard).

I drilled the three holes on the intake box and made a heat shield to cover it up. I didn't however create that scoup that draws the air into the intake. I removed the factory snorkel and noticed the big circular hole on the front bumper, above the fog lamp should create enough airflow (I have a 97+). I could be wrong. I'm going to drive the car around to see if I find any improvements.
Old 09-13-05, 10:24 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

u'r gonna get a lotta junk in u'r air filter....and possibly water...

also, read up on some of the BFI threads, like this one from Planet Soarer. It'll explain why you really need the rest of the stuff. But it is your car....let us know how it is w/o just the holes and no snorkel...
Old 09-13-05, 11:14 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

yes lets see some pics too
Old 09-13-05, 11:58 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

See, thats the thing that I don't get. By adding that shield, wouldn't you essentially block out more airflow? I mean the bottom of the headlamp almost serves the same purpose. Am I missing something here?

It's gonna be tough for bugs or water to be sucked into the bumpers hole, flow below the right headlamp and then back up through the tiny rectangular exposed space.
Old 09-14-05, 03:18 PM
Seismic
Rookie

Thumbs up What you're missing...

What you're missing is that there are 2 advantages here over the stock system.

1. Larger air inlets to your air filter. More air, more power, right?

2. The one you're missing...
By making the sheilds and sealing the chamber up properly, then dropping the flap in your air dam, you're basically ramming the air into your airbox, rather than sucking it from ambient air pressure. The faster you drive, the faster the air is forced at your air filter. More air, more power, right?

It's all been measured, it's been tested. It's all been explained at the link that cheungsta provided.

_/\_/\/\__/\_
-Seismic

I hope this helps!
Old 09-14-05, 03:31 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

I made a heat shield to cover the top of the intake box (to prevent hot engine air from getting in).

I did not however create the "shield" that is to be placed below the headlamp. According to the pictures, the air is to be sucked in from the side. When I refer to the side, its from the center of the bumper, that's why there are those two elongated screws to hold down the flap (next to the SRS sensor).

The intake box is positioned on the passenger side. Therefore, the most direct path of air is the hole next to the fog lamp (post 97+ bumper). By placing a shield below the headlamp, you are essentially blocking off the direct flow and redirecting it to suck it from the side, or in this context, the center of the bumper. This chamber is where they mount the SMIC for turbo charged cars, right below the headlamp. Since I'm in the US (and most of us are), we don't have this, so that's the shortest and most direct path.

I've considered leading a circular tube from the hole above the fog lamp to the intake box to get that "rammed" air affect.

Or maybe the second phase of the BFI is destined for pre-97 cars?

Last edited by 97Soarer; 09-14-05 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: bfi and headlights done! pics up