Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electrical problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 09:50 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Electrical problem!!

What’s up guys,
The other day I was driving around playing tag with this one car, when I tried to turn on my lights and all of a sudden my stereo went off. I just thought of it as a random thing so I went on, and it happened one more time and again I just dismissed it. Now today, I was driving home from work and I tried to put down my windows and I saw my lights dimmed. I purposely kept my figure on the button and wanted to see what would happen and the car almost stalled. So I am thinking its most likely time for a new alternator. What do you guys think, and have any of you had a similar problem. Oh yea I searched but I really couldn’t find anything quite similar to my problem.

Thanks in advance boys

P.S I don’t think my PS pump is leaking on the alternator because the pump is less than 8 months old

Tommy

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 08-23-04 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 10:02 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

regulator in the alternator.
Old 08-23-04, 10:18 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually the battery light comes on in advance to warn you when the battery is being drained due to a faulty alternator. You'll usually be able to drive for several hours on the battery itself. If your battery light never came on maybe its busted. I've had 2 alternators go out on me before and every time the battery light came on. If you try to start the car in the morning and its dead then your alternator is definately gone and your battery is drained.
Old 08-23-04, 10:53 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I know what you mean siaxazn, but in my situation the car starts perfectly, runs smoothly, and I have no power loss. I have been around cars for a good time now and I have rarely seen this happen. I have not washed the engine recently, nor have I done anything new to the engine. I just went into the garage and checked all the grounding cable wires and the battery terminals. I cleaned the battery terminals and tightened everything I could see in sight, so I guess I’ll just wait and see if this happens tomorrow too.

Tommy
Old 08-24-04, 12:07 AM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Try replacing your negative battery cable first. I had a similar problem a year ago. Although the neg. cable may look fine where if grounds to the body just behind the battery, it generally corrodes down where it bolts to the engine block. I replaced mine and it cured the problem, a year later, it's still going strong.
Old 08-24-04, 02:05 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a pretty common problem. Check your battery, battery connections and the negative battery cable. Use a multi tester to test the battery. Take apart the connections and clean them up and look at the negative battery cable while your in there. If there's any corrosion in the cable then have it replaced. A grounding kit may help too. It could also be the alternator if everything else checks out OK. Good luck.
Old 08-24-04, 06:40 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

As everyone else said i would change out the battery terminals. After i replaced my battery and alternator a few days later my car didnt start I was shocked since i knew it couldnt be the battery or alternator. and low behold it was the battery terminals. .i just cut them and connected new ones from autozone for 5 bucks. Since then i've had no problems. even if you think your terminals are ok it doesnt hurt to replace them with new ones for 5 bucks. IF that doesnt work i'd go and have autozone or someplace test your battery and alternator to see if its still good.